IGNORED

Bent side stand mount?

I just bought this 06 RSV a few weeks ago. It had what I thought was a bent side stand on it because they had modified it by welding about a 3 inch block of steel on the bottom of the stand to keep the bike up to a decent angle. Well I picked up another stand from a gentleman here and put it on today. It leaned over WAY too much. So I propped the bike back up and looked and the only think I can think of is the bracket on the frame that the stand attaches to must be bent or the frame is twisted...

So since it's still under warranty I took it in and dropped it off. They are going to look at it on Friday and call it in to see if it's covered...

So a couple of questions for you guys:

1. Should this be covered?

2. If it's not covered, what are my options to "modify" it so it will work. The modified stand I have works but will drag the ground in a moderate left lean through a turn...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike,

I was thinking the mount may be bent when you first posted. If it's bent from abuse, the dealer won't warranty it. If the weld is bad, they better! Dealer will probably claim abuse.

I have straightened side stand mounts on other bikes by removing the stand and placing a large adjustable wrench on the mount and bending the mount downwards. You'll might have to remove the exhaust to do it. Keep in mind that if it is bent, the frame may be weakened at the mount and bending it back may weaken it even more. If it was my bike, I would try to straighten it.

Ponch

I've heard that some customers were dissatisfied with a claim denial and went to Yamaha Corporate.

I hope the following is true as this is what I remember. There were a number of denied claims from faulty clutch baskets that got contested and Yamaha came through. Some claim to have talked to a factory rep who got approval.

Not that I know of...The seller didn't mention it even though I mentioned making some mods like that...but I can fit two 2x4s under the stand to get it at the right angle...so I would think that even if the back had been raised, I would hope it wouldn't affect it THAT much! Regardless, it doesn't "look" raised...

Thanks!

Another thing to look at is the pivot bolt, that holds the stand on, and the bushing that the bolt slides through. I've had two friends that were complaining about the same thing and it turned out on both that they'd never removed the bolt and cleaned/lubricated it the entire time they've had the bikes. The bushing was worn out on both of them which also wears out the bolt. A trip to Yamaha for new bushing and bolt, liberal application of some white lithium grease, and they're both back in business.

Marv

The pivot bolt looked good. No slop or anything. Dealer called back and of course they aren't going to cover it under warranty...guess I can't blame them, it probably is the previous owner's fault, I was just hopeful...So now I have to figure out an alternative...try to bend it back, cut off the mount and reweld in another position, make custom kickstand....I'm afraid that if I take it to a welder he's going to want me to take the bike completely apart to heat the frame...that's more of a job than I want to do! Sure wish I lived closer to dad, he could fix it!:mytruck1:

The dealer suggested that the previous owner had transported it with the kickstand down. Then if the tie straps weren't tight or there was a lot of bouncing, the pressure on the stand would twist the frame (or mount?)...either way, they claim their manager even made an "extra" call to Yamaha to try to get them to cover it, but they still said no...

I stopped by a welding shop after picking up the bike and I think he's going to try to modify the stand to get it at the right angle while not dragging in a left lean. My only fear is the strength of the weld afterwards...I'm sure it will be ugly but I know know guy that does powder coating, so maybe he can powder coat the entire stand and it will look good, just not chrome...

Any other suggestions are still welcome!

i have seen this a few times in the past. i would do the same as stated above..... remove the chrome and bend the frame mount back to the correct angle with a cresent wrench, and if your concerned about the weld at that point, have the weld shop beef up the original weld and go like the wind! . been there done that, it worked for me.

mike

Mike,

My concern with bending the frame back was weakening the frame integrity. Twisting it one way and then the other makes me wonder if the frame will give out even if the welds on the brackets are good...beyond that, I don't know if I can apply the physical pressure required to bend it back...and if I could, it makes me wonder if an 800lb bike wouldn't apply more pressure than that when it leaned back over, just re-twisting the frame again...but I'll talk to the welding shop about that option too...thanks for the suggestion!:thumbsup: