IGNORED

"I Quit" update

SilvrT

Well, we're 1 week into being non-smokers. The Champix is working to a degree; however, I do get the occasional craving for a smoke. Seems it comes not long before it's time to take my next pill... go figgure eh? LOL. The wife isn't taking anything and she's a "wee tad" more edgy than I am (edgy is a polite way of saying b*tchy lol). Had a party on Sat for my son's b/day... got slightly "overserved" on such things as rum, beer, tequila shooters, wine.... hmmmmm seems I recall having a few puffs that evening... shame on me! Last week was tough but yesterday and today are seeming much easier. The desire & determination to quit has not faded, that's for sure. Thanks to everyone who offered support and those of you in the same process as me... KEEP AT IT... don't give up!

Personally, I don't believe there is ever an x-smoker. Just as there are no former alcoholics.

We are simply between cigarettes. Good luck to you, and as someone said, you just need to put off smoking the next one.

Going on four weeks for me now.... But every morning is a fight not to light that first one up.......

Going on four weeks for me now.... But every morning is a fight not to light that first one up.......

GOOD for you! ... I had a tough time with that "morning smoke" most of last week. I altered my morning schedule last Monday and by Friday I was getting used to it. Since then, I really don't think about having a smoke in the AM now. Could be the Champix is helping with that. Yesterday, we went out for brekkie, I dropped into my office to deal with the time zone change screw up, and then we went for a drive...got home, had a snack and watched a movie...never even thought about smoking all day. Well, ok, I lied... I did once but got past that.

Well, after smoking for going on 53 years, and that being the only vice I had left, the mornings are the hardest. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

:15_8_211[1]:

46 years for me although, I did "stop" for 8 months back in 2000. Yep, those mornings are definately the hardest. A couple good things now tho... I sleep later and find I am not rushing anymore to get ready for work.

There "is" such a thing as a former smoker. I quit in 1982 and will never put another cigarette or cigar to my lips. Good luck and just remember the benefits are endless. More health and lots more extra bucks to spend on the sled.

DITTO,

YOU will be the grand prize WINNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

Gary

Personally, I don't believe there is ever an x-smoker. Just as there are no former alcoholics.

We are simply between cigarettes. Good luck to you, and as someone said, you just need to put off smoking the next one.

Somewhere is all the posts I missed that you decided to start living smoke free. Congrats!!!

:ice_congrats-vi6886

When ever the craving gets too bad just go to Dairy Queen! :whistling:

As my dear old departed daddy used to say: "You can give up drinkin', smokin' and sex; You won't live any longer, but it'll sure seem like it!" However, I do truly believe that giving up smoking is a good thing; it'll give you more time and money for the other two things.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

We are simply between cigarettes.

Just my thoughts on this ..... I don't look upon it this way at all... I tell myself that I will NEVER have another smoke. That I AM a NON-smoker now. ...it's a mind-over-matter thing and at least for me, the more I phsyc (sp?) myself that way, the easier it seems to be. When I get an urge for a smoke, I just tell myself "NO... I don't smoke, I don't need a smoke, I don't want a smoke..."...and the feeling passes. And if telling myself such things aren't "cutting it", then I just come in here and say it LOL.

In any event, whatever works for you...as long as it works, then it's right.

The time will never be better Mariners Fan...smoke the rest of 'em tonight and be done...your food will taste better...you're friends won't be talking behind your back about how you smell like cigarettes...you'll sense of smell will improve and then you'll notice how your smoking friends reek...you'll breathe easier...you won't wake up in the morning thinking "man I smoked too much last night, my chest hurts" There is a downside though, I've seen some pretty cool looking cigarette packs lately at the convenience store.

There is a downside though, I've seen some pretty cool looking cigarette packs lately at the convenience store.

Here in Canada, all of the cig packages have gros pics on them of things like people's lungs after being a smoker for a long time or of a person's mouth with rotten teeth and gum disease, etc. Not "cool" at all!. All in an effort to dissuade people from smoking. The government forces the tobacco co's to do that.

see this... http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/tobac-tabac/legislation/label-etiquette/graph/index_e.html

Man, you guys got me thinking about quitting.......:scratchchin:

You know, "thinking" about it just doesn't work! LOL ... I "thought" about it for a few years... here's what I discovered.... it doesn't work! I was still smoking!

So, I decided to

TAKE ACTION !

guess what I discovered?

TAKING ACTION WORKS !

I too am an X smoker, after 37 years...

Just one day said that is enough and threw out all my ash trays..

Was getting to where I wheezed at night...having trouble breathing all the time..shortness of breath..

The hardest temptation I had since was drinking that first beer.., but I just went and got another one, and never looked back..

Now I can enjoy a beer with out the smoke..

I do feel much better, have lots more energy, and I can now smell the wild when on back roads.....

Smoking just plain stinks...

I can not stand the smell of ciggarettes anymore..hate-em....

Keep up the fight it got easier for me after 2 weeks, been almost a year for me now, still have the urge now and then, quelch that with a stubby cigar or just fight past it. Hang in there it will get easier. 34 years 2 pack a day.

Good Luck to All Quitting

Dave

When I was quiting I did so cold turkey. Everytime I thought I could go no longer without a smoke, I ran three miles. After putting in about 250 miles daily for the first couple weeks, I was admitted to the hospital for severe life threatening dehydration and shinsplints so bad that my lower legs were swollen to three times their normal size. Since I was hospitalized for about a month and they wouldn't let me smoke while there, I finally was discharged as a non-smoker. Been that ever since.

Outta try it!

:080402gudl_prv:

When I was quiting I did so cold turkey. Everytime I thought I could go no longer without a smoke, I ran three miles. After putting in about 250 miles daily for the first couple weeks, I was admitted to the hospital for severe life threatening dehydration and shinsplints so bad that my lower legs were swollen to three times their normal size. Since I was hospitalized for about a month and they wouldn't let me smoke while there, I finally was discharged as a non-smoker. Been that ever since.

Outta try it!

:080402gudl_prv:

So... is this gonna be my reward for quitting smoking? LOL just kiddin!