IGNORED

Road King Cans

Hey guys,

Wanted to pass a long some pics of the change over from the stock mufflers. Used the template measurements from earlier posts for the brackets and it worked great. I left the baffles intact on the RK cans for now as some guys mentioned the sound gets better with some miles - can always go back later and pop out one or both of them if I want more noise.

Picked up the cans on Craiglist for $20 and $40 for the clamps so not a bad mod cost wise and took a short run yesterday and the sound is definitely better.

The info on this site is invaluable - thanks to everyone. By the way '08 RSV I bought a month ago with 1600K on her - now 3600. :banana:

They look like the ones I just took off to install a pair of black ceramic coat Rinehart pipes..

the RK cans have a nice sound, just a tad louder than stock pipes I found but from the cockpit give a nice rumble sound...

I should think you'll be happy with them.

heh ... I recently removed my RK's coz I was getting tired of the loudness, especially when climbing hills or pulling the trailer. I had all the baffles drilled out tho so they're quite a bit louder than stock RK's.

Might look for another "new" set (with baffles) one day tho.

Seaking.........what did you do with your rk's that you took off? I may be interested if you want to part with them.

Mine are sitting under the shelf gathering dust.. I'd like to say they are in great shape but unfortunately they are not.. bit of rust on them.. Shipping alone would be expensive due to the weight. You would be best to shop locally as a lot of HD guys who kick up to louder pipes will have theirs laying about, doing nothing but gathering dust as well..

Great pipes.. I liked them on my bike..

Yeah Tar, SeaKing is right.

I just posted a wanted ad in the motorcycle section of Craiglist and got a response in a day or so from a guy that had them in his garage since new. From what I understand get a set before 2005 for best results. The pipes had

FWIW - I got the clamps from Zoom cycle (888)316-1994 for $40 include shipping part number 31-9920. Gotta call no web ordering.

I love the sound - now just gotta get rid of the dreaded chirp! :headache: Just replied to another post on that issue. Only thing keeping my new ride from being "perfect"

Let's see: :whistling:

Owned it 1 month =

*Handle bar risers

*Knee deflectors

*RK cans

*Utopia Pillow top back rest

*Ram mount GPS

*Wally world Platinum Burner passing lamps (still gotta wire - have the parts)

Need:

Wagner radiator grill

Windshield pouches

Luggage rack

Kurakyn long horn dually highway pegs

mud flap

Leather Gas Cap cover (to keep reflection off windshield or new Clearshield)

Saddle Bag Liners

Butler thumb screws to attach rear saddle bags

Butler thumb screws to attach seat.

LED brake light / tour pack lights

...Oh yeah!!!

Any chance you can take a video of the bike running so we can hear them? :)

Wasn't sure if you wanted to hear the rineharts or the RK cans..

Article http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51473&highlight=rinehart

has a series of photos of the rineharts on the bike and lower down the topic list you'll see a link to a video of these pipes on the bike..

Wasn't sure if you wanted to hear the rineharts or the RK cans..

Article http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51473&highlight=rinehart

has a series of photos of the rineharts on the bike and lower down the topic list you'll see a link to a video of these pipes on the bike..

O yea I heard those from your post, very cool. and they look cool. Id like to hear a set of RK mufflers though. With a V4 Im assuming they dont sound anything like they would on an HD but Im wondering if they are a cross between stock and my Bub'[s that are way too loud (for me)

"the RK cans have a nice sound, just a tad louder than stock pipes I found but from the cockpit give a nice rumble sound..."

SeaKing about summed it up..I'm finding they are getting better sounding the more I run them. Kinda Harley like but not too loud. Sorry I don't have the means to record them. Best part is, if you go with them and don't like 'em you can put the stock ones back on in a half hour or so. No brainer.

Midlife - nothing else required. Made the brackets, bought the clamps and reused the (2) short bolts from the original muffler to attach bracket to the RK can. I did put a little loctite on the bolts and antiseize on the pipe before slipping on the can - hoping it will help later if I ever want to remove them.

SilvrT - thought about painting but figured it would scratch too easy and end up looking nasty. What paint and prep did you use?

Note: called the dealer back on the whine and he said he didn't forget me, just busy. Hmmm:8:

Note: called the dealer back on the whine and he said he didn't forget me, just busy. Hmmm:8:

To the dealer, the whine HE hears are the customers calling about what is for us a very legitimate problem but for what in fact is basically an un-fixable problem.. Many say they have been able to get rid of the whine with a new clutch basket change, or different oil or so on.. but I would have to say the whine is just something you get used to and learn to forget.. I don't notice mine whining anymore (no one listens to me anyway so I stopped whining too).. Louder pipes, learning to ride out of the noisiest ranges make a huge difference.. I tried all kinds of dyno and syn oils but nothing really made too huge of a difference to be honest..

When asked, I just tell them it's my turbo kicking in..

SilvrT - thought about painting but figured it would scratch too easy and end up looking nasty. What paint and prep did you use?

I honestly don't remember what kind of paint it was ... just something I had in my drawer of rattle cans. As for prep, I just cleaned the surface real good with laquer thinner and masked the underside. Leave the key cover in exactly the spot where you want it to be when closed. I think I applied 3 coats of paint, the first one being a medium coat. I'm not even sure if I used a primer or not... geeeesh, it's been over 2 years now .... I can't even remember yesterday most of the time :rotf:

I should mention that I am real careful with it soas not to scratch it... but what the heck, if ya do scratch the paint a bit, just wet sand that down and shoot it again. Like I said, I don't have any scratches or chipping yet after 2 years (years being riding seasons).

I had a buddy give me a set of RoadKing mufflers and I have everything to put them on except the brackets, but... in the last few months my stock mufflers are starting to get a nice rumble to them. I didn't think there was anything in them that would "settle" so I'm a bit surprised. Actually starting to sound darn good.

Guest scarylarry

One thing I didn't do and had to go back and do is, I use lock washers on the bolts that mounted to the muffler, well one day and I was checking over the bike I notice they had work lose, so I put some blue lock tight on them and they are secured now when I check it weekly

One thing I didn't do and had to go back and do is, I use lock washers on the bolts that mounted to the muffler, well one day and I was checking over the bike I notice they had work lose, so I put some blue lock tight on them and they are secured now when I check it weekly

Time to kick the cans and light the fires.. hehe.. I wash my bike often and it's something I check for all the time.. it's never happened but it's one of those things you don't want coming off the bike..

Guest scarylarry
Time to kick the cans and light the fires.. hehe.. I wash my bike often and it's something I check for all the time.. it's never happened but it's one of those things you don't want coming off the bike..

Thought lock washers would work...WRONG

Thought lock washers would work...WRONG

very strange... have you used the right size lock washers? Was it a star type? Were they for right or left thread? I've never seen or heard of a bolt coming loose when there's a lock washer. Was the lock washer between the bolt head and a flat washer (this may be the reason it came loose)?

Guest scarylarry
very strange... have you used the right size lock washers? Was it a star type? Were they for right or left thread? I've never seen or heard of a bolt coming loose when there's a lock washer. Was the lock washer between the bolt head and a flat washer (this may be the reason it came loose)?

3/8 lock washer no flat washer no star washer, just something work lose maybe from vibration, I dunno but lock tight solve that issue...

3/8 lock washer no flat washer no star washer, just something work lose maybe from vibration, I dunno but lock tight solve that issue...

This is where you bolt the bracket to the mufflers right?

Weird... mine were on for 2 seasons and that's all I used was a short bolt and a lock washer. Good idea to check em tho

Guest scarylarry
This is where you bolt the bracket to the mufflers right?

Weird... mine were on for 2 seasons and that's all I used was a short bolt and a lock washer. Good idea to check em tho

Right 2 bolts 3/8 very short ones I remember too, and yes like everything good thing to check...Could have been a freak thing on mine but I don't want to see my muffler rolling down the interstate... Oh the single bolt that holds the bracket to the bike was very tight..