IGNORED

Zumo 550 map update

BigShell

I bought my Zumo toward the end of June this year. I've been thinking about updating to the 2008 maps. A few weeks ago I was going through the Garmin site and decided to review the info in the MyGarmin account. Looked at the map updates in there and it said I was eligible for a free upgrade! I said yes, verified my info, and got it Friday. Installed it today. I haven't had a problem with my unit, but from what I hear, those that have had problems were promptly taken care of with service over and above what most were expecting. I think this free map upgrade is another example.

If you own a Zumo and have it registered, you might want to check and see if you have a free upgrade coming.

It's been about 6 weeks now since I ordered my free update for my 450. After 4 weeks,I had not yet recieved my update, so I contacted Garmin and they told me.........." Thank you for contacting Garmin International. The V2008 DVD's are on backorder and they should begin

shipping within the next 14 days. Thank you for your patience on this

matter"........... I recieved this e-mail on October 5th 2007. It is now November 4th still no updates. What a load of bollocks.

Keith.

It's been about 6 weeks now since I ordered my free update for my 450. After 4 weeks,I had not yet recieved my update, so I contacted Garmin and they told me.........." Thank you for contacting Garmin International. The V2008 DVD's are on backorder and they should begin

shipping within the next 14 days. Thank you for your patience on this

matter"........... I recieved this e-mail on October 5th 2007. It is now November 4th still no updates. What a load of bollocks.

Keith.

Guess I'll have to amend my statement...

except for one, those that have had problems were promptly taken care of with service over and above what most were expecting.

It could me a delay due to Customs when they ship to Canada. I bought something on Ebay once from somebody in Canada and it took 4 weeks to get it.

I bought mine in Oct of 06 I think. Battery went out about a month ago. They shipped me back a brand new unit with the new maps already installed and a version of the software that hasn't been released yet.

A few weeks back I registered and I checked for updates, and they said they woudl send my update in about 4-6 weeks.

Yesterday got on the bike and when the GPS Loaded, and on the screen it stated that I could get the update to log onto the web site.

JOHNP - There was a button that said check for updates did you select this one. Also I think the GPS has to be connected to the computor (did you do this)

Brad

All I did was go to garmin.com > click on MyGarmin > logged in > clicked on map updates. Now of course, it says none available, but when I did it a few weeks ago it listed the 2008 North America update. I clicked that and followed the instructions. I don't remember when I did that, but when I got it, I was surprised that it arrived so quick. I had been expecting 6 weeks or so. Seems like it was 4 weeks or less.

Don't know what else to tell you. I did create my account, registered and unlocked my software online, at the website. I seem to remember having trouble unlocking the mapsource software from the mapsource program.

I just went on to My Garmin and it told me that I have no updates available.......... I bought my zumo 550 about 5 months ago........... is there something on the site that I'm missing?

I didnt see anything either. I had something download a few weeks ago dont remeber what it was but your actually getting a CD?

With your Garmin Street Pilot 27xx, 28xx and all Zumo GPS models connected to your computer in Garmin mode connect to Garmin using Web Updater. It will find your unit and search for updates. These updates are free (for the afore mentioned models) and you should not have to unlock anything.

The Garmin "WEBUPDATER" software can be found on the original disk included with your GPS if you did not load it in the beginning or if you did load it look in the Garmin folder on your computer.

Happy trails :cool10:

I've run the web updater but it only updated the program, voices and stuff like that. I assume by that the map data is up to date. The streets around Atlanta where my niece lives is not in the database and they have been there for 2 years. I was just wondering if there was newer map data than what I have now.

I purchased the Zumo 550 last May. Approx 1 month later my Zumo was experiencing "power" related malfunctions, as a result the unit was replaced without any problems or delay! July, I went on line and saw I was eligible for the 2008 mapping free update so I went through the process. I can't remember why, but I had to actually speak on the phone with a Garmin representative to finalize the free update process. The Garmin company required a "faxed" copy of my bill of sale along with a request for this free update in writing. Approx 4 weeks later my Free Update was delivered to my door by "UPS" Courier Service. Much to my surprise, MY FREE UPDATE COST ME A $23.19 THE UPS DELIVERY GUY EXPLAINED TO ME THERE ARE "BORDER CROSSING" RELATED COSTS.

Despite the fact my "Free Update" cost me $23.19, I must say, I really do enjoy the quality etc of my Zumo 550.

I purchased the Zumo 550 last May. Approx 1 month later my Zumo was experiencing "power" related malfunctions, as a result the unit was replaced without any problems or delay! July, I went on line and saw I was eligible for the 2008 mapping free update so I went through the process. I can't remember why, but I had to actually speak on the phone with a Garmin representative to finalize the free update process. The Garmin company required a "faxed" copy of my bill of sale along with a request for this free update in writing. Approx 4 weeks later my Free Update was delivered to my door by "UPS" Courier Service. Much to my surprise, MY FREE UPDATE COST ME A $23.19 THE UPS DELIVERY GUY EXPLAINED TO ME THERE ARE "BORDER CROSSING" RELATED COSTS.

Despite the fact my "Free Update" cost me $23.19, I must say, I really do enjoy the quality etc of my Zumo 550.

Call UPS and dispute this charge. I know quite a few that have done this and got their money back. If the package is free, then it is free. Three people I know ordered goods from the U.S. that cost under $50 and had a $25 - $30 charge from UPS. They say it is brokerage fees.

Call them. Get your money back. Don't have the attitude that it isn't worth it like some people I know. It is your money and they have ripped you off.

EVERYONE BOYCOTT UPS!!!!!!!!!

This update is not the same as the program update you get using the webupdater. This is a full map update that comes on DVD. It updates the mapsource map on the computer and the gps. I didn't time it, but I bet it took over an hour to tranfer everything from the dvd to both the computer and zumo.

I don't know why some get the update and some don't see it. Mine was over 90 days old when I ordered the update, but it could be the update was available within 90 days of my purchase, so I qualified. All I know for sure is I registered and unlocked my map software on June 22 and I was given a free DVD update to the 2008 maps. I wasn't expecting it and I'm happy!

Good luck!

The webupdater is for program updates only. They have had 2 since I purchased my Zumo. The updater works great. It has no effect on the desktop program. That updates separately. The DVD is for updated maps and points of interest. There is quite a bit updated but I know they are still way behind where I live as well. I can't get that agrivated though. Even Google Maps is way behind where I live. Too many people moving out here and way too much construction. I need to move to the mountains.

I have recieved another e-mail from Garmin stating............"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Our records indicate that

the update was sent on October 30, 2007 and the waybill reference is the

following: GP******* It could possibly be held up in customs! You

should receive this week as it works its way through your countries

processes". WhooHooo,:dancefool: the down side to this is I don't have a DVD on the confuser..........sugar.:( Well at least it aint snowin.:snow:

K.

I just ordered mine, was on the front page at the top....kinda blends in with everything else on the page. we shall see how long it takes, and there is a foot note durning the ordering that states some shipping to other countrys will have some charges.