IGNORED

Large Flagpole on Bike???

Aussie Annie

Question:

What have some of you [PGR?] used to make the pole for carrying a large flag on the back of your bike?

As a PGR member I would be proud to ride on a mission while we are in the states next year. I am going to get Quickstep to make me a holder to fit my hitch on the back, then purchase the pole on arriving in the states. What should I get? And from where?

picture.php?albumid=404&pictureid=2273

The flat metal is an old steel ruler. The flag mount came with the flag kit and all I did was trim the ruler to fit the bracket. I can get more pictures if this one isn't clear enough. There are several companies that make flag holders for a hitch. I'm sure others have links to them.

Edited by silverdeer0454
I kant spel

Flag kit was purchased at a local hardware store, the wooden pole came with the kit. I plan on replacing the pole in the future with a metal pole for durability. I just got a new US flag from a company that sells "high wind" rated flags and I have gone 250 miles in rain and wind with no issues. The company I purchased from is at this link:

http://www.anyflag.com/american/

I bought the 3X5 "Windmaster" flag

:thumbsup2:

It is interesting that the pressure on the trunk luggage rack doesn't cause any problems. I thought the max pressure was like 10 lbs.?

I haven't had any problems with it. I don't travel down the road with the flag flying unless I'm in a very slow moving group for the PGR. As you can see, I have made a sleeve for the flag so it will stay as clean as possible. I also put some reflective tape (sewed) around the sleeve. There is really not that much pressure on the luggage rack. At least I don't think so.

It was really easy to make. I got the adapter from Harbor Freight, also the red break light. The pipe and flange and the U bolts I got from Lowes. I also drilled two holes into the hitch adapter and put two bolts into it. I had to cut the plastic red break light so it would slide into the adapter. So far so good.

Ken

I haven't a mount made to fit the scoot directly yet. Though I have mine mounted to the BEERCART on welded sockets on the trailer tongue. Poles are 8' and made of highly polished 1"aluminum with a 3/4" inside the 1", making it doubled walled. I have had mine up to 75 MPH. That's 3 flags I fly at one time, 2- 3x5 and 1- 4x6.

I'll be making myself a hitch mount later this spring.

BEER30

Flag kit was purchased at a local hardware store, the wooden pole came with the kit. I plan on replacing the pole in the future with a metal pole for durability. I just got a new US flag from a company that sells "high wind" rated flags and I have gone 250 miles in rain and wind with no issues. The company I purchased from is at this link:

http://www.anyflag.com/american/

I bought the 3X5 "Windmaster" flag

Does that mean I could go to Walmart or Lowes and buy the kit?????