IGNORED

I was possessed

Marcarl

After reading about hanging a trailer from the ceiling, I thought what a good idea, well just about, I mean, I almost had to call Squidley and apologize to him,,, here's how it went.

I checked out my shop, and sure enough I had a space where that could actually take place, it was going to be close and not save me a lot of room,,, but just the idea intrigued me, so I did some planning, I know, give it up, but I stayed at it and actually came up with a plan. My trailer, I figure to weight about 200 lbs so it should be easy. I get me some rope,, (oh I got that, former owner left me a whole bunch), well then I need some pulleys,, lets see,, about 5 will do, nah let's get enough, we make it 7, and then some eye hooks to fasten the pulleys to the ceiling,, maybe be done in 1 hour or so. Got all the required hardware, measured out the rope, decided on the location for the pulleys and put it all together. That was easy, about 2 hours, but then coffee was there as well. OK hook up the trailer and then up it goes and I have floor space. Got it all hooked, one point at the tongue and two points at the rear, all one run of rope, meaning that the rope was one length only and as I pulled on one rope all three points were supposed to come up equally. Oh my, the trailer's back end was the only part to come up and then only one side of it. No matter, kick the thing and it will balance,, right? yep! but you can only do so much of that before you get tired, and the front end was still on the floor,,, and darn that 200 lbs was getting heavy. At this point the slope on the trailer was about 45 degrees, and the front was still on the floor. Enough of that,,, back to the drawing board. Only cost me a few bucks so far, but hey I'm into it and it now needs doing!!!!!

Time to plan this thing somewhat different,,,, OK, I'll get winch, that'll make it more controllable and easier to lift, after all I am getting older and I need to think of the future. I'll get a winch and cable instead of rope but use the same setup, what a genius I is. Well after the first 50 bucks, here goes another 50. Next night I go at it again with cable and a winch. I get Marca to turn the winch while I guide the trailer to the ceiling. Everything is peachy keen........... until the lid of the trailer touches the ceiling..... the front needs to lift just a bit more Hon,,,, give it a bit more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CRASH!!!!!!!!,,,,, yep, it's back where it started,,, on the floor,, along with broken pulleys, and lots of stretched out eye bolts,,,, everybody is OK,, Marca is not even shaking,,, course it missed her by 2 feet, so it seems she was quite safe after all.

Now I got think again,,,,, this brain works is starting to get to me.

It's a new idea, but somehow this trailer has to go up evenly and easily, so the winch is in,,, what else would be handy,,,, maybe some heavier pulleys and of course heavier eye bolts, ouch,,, so far it's 100 bucks, now another 80,,, this is not getting any cheaper, nor is it taking as short as first imagined. But,,,, now it works. Nine pulleys, about 80 feet of cable, one winch, a bunch of cable clamps, 3\8 inch eye bolts and the trailer goes up lick-a-dee-slip.

And oh,,,, it suffered no damage on the way down the first time,,,and I saved about 6 square feet of floor space.

Anybody else got a bright idea I can try?

you should put some kind of safety chains on it once its up there.

That way you are not depending on just the cable and eyebolts to hold it.

What are the eyebolts mounted to?

If they are just screw in type...I would be worried.

In the mean time...I wouldn't be too comfortable working under it

you should put some kind of safety chains on it once its up there.

That way you are not depending on just the cable and eyebolts to hold it.

What are the eyebolts mounted to?

If they are just screw in type...I would be worried.

In the mean time...I wouldn't be too comfortable working under it

Eye bolts are screwed in to the 2x4s. Had to relocate a couple because they broke out under pressure, they apparently need to be mounted in the center of that wood thingie. Through bolts would have been better, but I can't get up there anymore, it's all sealed off. That's the trouble with you guys and your new ideas, you're always too late.:stirthepot:

Once it's up there I have it held with ratchet straps and the cable is there now in case the straps break.

No I don't plan on working under it, that's where I'll park my Sears tractor, so that if it does come down, it'll have a soft landing on a piece of sh*t.

I say... if it rains at the next Carl's Meats and Eats we set up the lawn chairs in the shop under the trailer and ............ raise a glass or three and see who stays under the longest.