IGNORED

Can a 1st gen rear schock be rebuilt?

My rear shock blew out on me as I was riding a couple of months ago. It sounded like I had run over an empty water bottle with the top on it.

Now I am hoping there is a kit or a way to rebuild it. I'm guessing a new one from "Mama YAMA" will be pretty pricey!

Any ideas? (stupid question with this group?:confused24:):

My rear shock blew out on me as I was riding a couple of months ago. It sounded like I had run over an empty water bottle with the top on it.

Now I am hoping there is a kit or a way to rebuild it. I'm guessing a new one from "Mama YAMA" will be pretty pricey!

Any ideas? (stupid question with this group?:confused24:):

No idea on if it can be re-built, but check Ebay & works performance has one. I think, progressive suspension has one too, for the 1st gens.

Hey Todd,

I checked and cross referenced the ability to rebuild a First Gen. Shock. There is NO kit or list of internal parts offered from Yamaha. I called our local Yamaha Rep, (Personal friend) and he said that other than in the factory, the shock that comes on the First Gen. VR is not made to be rebuilt like a Works shock is. A new air adjustable shock is NO longer offered from Yamaha, I am sad to say. I have a rear shock from a low mileage 1986 VR if you are interested, (29,4XX miles) It is still 25 years old but is in Very good to excellent condition. If I can help you with this project, PM me.:confused24:

Earl

• 2 weeks later...