IGNORED

New venture owner as of yesterday with a few questions

hello everyone. i just purchased a 2000 venture and i have a few questions. i love the bike and after i took my wife for a ride in the country and then on the freeway, she was fine under 60 mph but over that she is getting beat to death with the wind. the windshield on the bike is a show chrome after market windshield. my question is, is the windshield need to be taller or lower. i am 6'6'' and 230 lbs. I have a yamaha raider also and she don't complain about the wind on it. but on the venture she sets up higher. how can i correct the problem. the windshield is 13'' tall from chrome trim at the bottom of the windshield to the top of the shield. and it is 31'' wide. any help would be appriciated

Your problem is that windshield. It is 5" shorter than stock.

I am 6'5", and I will not ride a bike where I must look through the windshield (I believe it is VERY dangerous in some situations). I tried one of those ShowChrome windshields and took it off after one day. For my body shape and seating position, I found that I had to remove about 1.5" from the stock windshield for a comfortable line of sight just over the top edge.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Long Tall here in Lynchburg, VA....

I had a friend give me a Show Chrome and I installed on the RSV about three months ago.....6'5"...240lb....Wife started getting a lot of wind that she did not get with the stock shield...I even noticed some wind....I hated looking through the stock shield and when it rained it "sucked"....I got her a half face shield for her three snap helmet and she handles it OK now.....Mostly covers here eyes and down to her nose...It is not a full face cover...She likes to take a drink of water from her cup now and then.

Like V7Goose I'll not go back to looking through the windshield....

I though about cutting the stock shield,but ended up with the Show Chrome...I MIGHT put the tall stock back on for winter riding...Not sure?

Long Tall in Lynchburg, VA

I have a used tall shield 17.5 you can have all you need to do is pay the postage from Thomasville , Ga to get it to you.

I totally understand times being tight. You can try it and if it works great if it doesn't just pass the free along to someone looking for a windshield on the sight

i was also wondering about the gear whine. it is really loud on my bike compared to a friends bike. if i change the oil to synthetic will that help?

There's a ton of info about the whine on this site. Frankly, changing to a different oil will probably not help a lot but that's just my opinion. Some say it does... didn't do a thing for me.

awsome, thanks guys, i just don't want to buy one to tall or to short. times are tought these days and i just don't want to waste alot of money. your help is appriciated.

If you get one that's a bit too tall, you can always cut it down. It's a pretty easy job and well illustrated here on the site.

Sounds good to me. I work this weekend but that is not a problem you can come to my employment and get it. I will email you the cell number or you can email me yours.

Also Dobb's BBQ is some good eating in Dothan.

I though about cutting the stock shield,but ended up with the Show Chrome...I MIGHT put the tall stock back on for winter riding...Not sure?

Long Tall in Lynchburg, VA

My '99 came with the shorter Show Chrome shield, and I get a lot of buffetting when on the freeway at 70-75mph, but around town it's OK. It also came with the OEM shield and I'll probably put it back on when doing long rides like to Cody next year.. Being fairly tall I don't know what it's like to look through a shield. Prefer it that way.... :)

Guest PlaneCrazy
hello everyone. i just purchased a 2000 venture and i have a few questions. i love the bike and after i took my wife for a ride in the country and then on the freeway, she was fine under 60 mph but over that she is getting beat to death with the wind. the windshield on the bike is a show chrome after market windshield. my question is, is the windshield need to be taller or lower. i am 6'6'' and 230 lbs. I have a yamaha raider also and she don't complain about the wind on it. but on the venture she sets up higher. how can i correct the problem. the windshield is 13'' tall from chrome trim at the bottom of the windshield to the top of the shield. and it is 31'' wide. any help would be appriciated

The stock windshield is very tall on the RSV. With you being 6'6" it might work for you well and will help reduce the buffeting on your passenger. I am only 5'9" tall and the stock windshield was too high for me. I feel it is very unsafe to ride with a windshield that you can not look over.

I ended up cutting my windshield down 4" and that works perfect for me. The thread on that mod is HERE .

I am 6'2 or so and went with a taller than stock windshield. I think as important as the height though is the width. There are several aftermarket shield out there that are about 4" wider than stock (2" on each side) and I think that makes a huge difference also.

thanks for all your help and input. i am going to try a factory windshield, from a current member of this site. i enjoy the forums, i also have a 2008 yamaha raider, with 32000 miles on it since i pulled it off the show room floor. january of 08. we just got back from a 1700 mile trip to key west on the raider and we love our yamaha's. thanks mike:cool10: