IGNORED

camshafts.

tomfromhull

Hey Tom,

There is NO advantage to putting a set of MKI or MKII VR camshafts in your RSTD. You would need to install the VMAX cams AND the Double Springs from a VMAX to see any increase at all.

Because you have the smaller set of Carbs. on your bike, you would need to switch to a set of RSV Carbs. with the larger Body Bore, larger main and pilot jets, Some sort of ignition module to reset the rev limiter on your scoot, free flowing filters, and performance exhausts just to have a "peppy" RSTD. It would certainly not be a VMAX!

Many of the Second Gen. riders have said that the VMAX Final Drive Swap and the Power Commander ignition module are the best "Bang for the buck."

I didn't even mention the fact that you would need to be an above average

"Shade Tree Mechanic" to do all of this work, or you could BUY a VMAX for what you would have in parts and money paid to a shop to do the install.

Earl

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to copy Pegscraper's work. He certainly seems to know his stuff. I have a set of 32mm carbs in my attic and have a guy at a machine shop locally who can do the machining on the intake boots and make up a plate. The power commander and high performance exhaust are easy enough for me to do. What do you recommend for filters?

The Venture cams are a drop in fit, but they won't get you much. The exhaust cam is the same thing. The intake cam is slightly better, but barely. If you're going to expend the effort to swap cams, I wouldn't do these. VMX cams have 20º more duration if not 30º, I can't remember right now. The riding season is about over for this year anyway. Keep your eyeballs open during the winter. Some are bound to turn up.

You might also consider buying a complete set of VMX heads. That will give you cams, springs, and a whole set of shims to play with for setting up valve clearances. Then you can sell the bare heads off and get a little something back. When I did this, for some reason the bare heads brought me more than I paid for the heads complete. I wound up with a few extra dollars in my pocket for swapping cams and springs. (You know, I have a pair of complete VMX heads setting here not doing anything. Long story... another guy was going to have me help him do his bike up, bought a bunch of parts and had them sent to my house, then lost interest in the project and I still have all his parts. I haven't heard from him for months. I should contact him and see what he'd like to do with these.)

For air filter, I still recommend the modified stock airbox in the carb swap article. Anything other than that and you'll be on your own for jetting.

Duplicating my work, eh? A couple more things you need to do - run curve 5 on the D3K ignition module, then slot the mounting holes on the pickup coil so it can be advanced another 4º relative to the rotor. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the VMX D3K in there. It has much better advance curves in it and a higher rev limiter, which with the VMX valve springs installed, the engine can handle.

Yes, I swapped in a transmission from an '87 Venture last Spring. It was the best thing I ever did. I should have done it a long time ago. The gear ratios in the stock transmission are a joke. It is much more appropriately geared now and the engine runs the rpms it wants to run. The ironic thing about this is that I used to find myself hitting the rev limiter quite frequently, and now I never hit it at all. Evidence that the engine is running the rpms that it wants to run now and I don't have wind the crap out of the engine to get the bike to move. Now I can't decide if I want to use a VMX rear gear or use the stock one. I have both right now so I can try them. That VMX rear gear is a lot of fun.

I used to have a V-boost setup in my bike too. I took it out for a while, but I may put it back in again. I'm not sure. I might have another even better idea up my sleeve.

Sooo... you must be flattered, right Peg? If I didn't think it would be so much fun and a good learning experience, you might wake up some morning with my bike on your front lawn and a open check in the saddle bag! If you're going to sell those heads, call me. I'm sure we can make a deal. Maybe I'll only duplicate half your work. Or just take it one slow step at a time. Like you said, the riding season is just about over- and I've been wanting to do some of these mods for a while. Thanks

• 3 months later...
I used to have a V-boost setup in my bike too. I took it out for a while, but I may put it back in again. I'm not sure. I might have another even better idea up my sleeve.

Are you going to share your idea?

Inquiring minds want to know . . . :detective: