IGNORED

Firearm question

RoadKill

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you manage a Conceal Carrier Permit in Illinois?

I didn't. Unfortunately Illinois is one of two states that do not recognize the 2nd ammendment of our US Constitution. I have a Utah and Florida Concealed Carry which allows me to leagally carry concealled in the majority of states I travel.

Edited by RoadKill

The Disney cruise lot is pretty secure, it is right next to the boat and they watch it all the time.

But that being said, unless you plan on hanging out at shady places before or after the cruise, there is no reason to bring it.

If criminals were confined to one geographic or demographic location your response would be accurate, unfortunately they are not.

Agreed there is no such thing in Illinois. Illinois does not recognize other states permits either. I'd hide it in the car whats the difference someone can break into your home while your gone and steal it just the same at least you'll have it with you most of the time.

This is the way I'm leaning

Thanks

Edited by RoadKill

For those of you who don't carry concealed see the 1st post. This ? was for those that do carry. So... You are tresspassing!!! :0) I carry all the time on my person. I've seen what those nice "Safe" places can turn into in a matter of minutes/seconds. I'd carry and leave it in the car. Never be without your sidearm unless you just have to. I have a fire ext in my kitchen and hope I never have to use it, but it's there if I need it. You get the picture.

check out the web page opencarry.org and see what you think. Oh yeah, I open carry to, and no I'm not a cop. Flame suit on. :0)

BTW You would be surprised how many people carry concealed.

:225:

Thanks Eddie. Amazing isn't it?

This has been more entertaining and informative that an OIL thread. Thanks to those that provided suggestions.

For all you folks that don't carry concealed, be thankful there are so many of us walking among you daily. Whether you choose to believe it or not WE help to keep violent crime rates lower in the states where we are leagally allowed to carry.

not sure where you are going but what about finding a vr member that you fill you can trust in the area you are going to be parking and see if you can set up a place and time to meet and drop off the weapon. Pick it up on the wya out.I know I would be happy to do it for you if I was in that area. I do believe its a bit south for me.

David

I am shocked at how many people in this world have the "It will never happen to me" attitude and they see no reason to carry a Firearm for protection for themselves and their family. If you carry a gun chances are you will never ever have to use it to protect yourself, hopefully you wont have to anyway. The thing about it though guys, is this is your life and your families lives that you are gambling with and you don't get a second chance if some idiot decides he is going to end it for you so what is so bad about being prepared just in case? There are alot of dead people 6 feet under that wish they would have made the choice to protect themselves that never thought they would ever be the victem of a violent crime.

Ok i'm done ranting..........it just really ticks me off how some people want to make a person look or feel like an idiot for choosing to protect themselves.

my guess is that 99.9% of all the other ships passengers don't carry concealed weapons and they probably will have a safe & great time while cruising..........btw when was the last time you drew your weapon in self defense, just curious?

To answer your question about when the last time I pulled my weapon in self-defense? NEVER had to, so far, THANK GOD.

I also have carried insurance on all my bikes for over thirty years and have NEVER had to use it. THANK GOD

But if that "ONE time" ever does come, I WILL be PROTECTED.

My :2cents:

Bryan

(On a side note I believe there are MANY more people that carry even tho they do not have a license. I recently went to an over night Motorcycle party near here and even tho the "RULES" on the flier said "NO weapons", 11 out of the 14 people camping right around us had a weapon. Which I thought was quite interesting.)

Edited by bryan52577

I would not go on the cruise, but I take my right to protection very seriously. My philosophy is that if my CCW is not welcome, then neither am I. The only exception is a courthouse or federal building where I have HAVE to be (like the VA).

I guess you could maybe buy a small sentry safe at Wal Mart and lock the CCW up in it, then you could hide it in the trunk. The spare tire location would be a good hiding spot, plus it would make it more difficult to get to if you put the spare back on top of the safe.

Have a great trip!

To answer your question about when the last time I pulled my weapon in self-defense? NEVER had to, so far, THANK GOD.

I also have carried insurance on all my bikes for over thirty years and have NEVER had to use it. THANK GOD

But if that "ONE time" ever does come, I WILL be PROTECTED.

My :2cents:

Bryan

Better to "have and not need than to need and not have"

Don:soapbox:

my guess is that 99.9% of all the other ships passengers don't carry concealed weapons and they probably will have a safe & great time while cruising..........btw when was the last time you drew your weapon in self defense, just curious?

About 6 weeks ago. I almost backed into a vehicle that came from out of nowhere in a gas station parking lot. I saw him at the last minute and stopped. The young driver and his young male passenger wanted to make something out of nothing, and they came for me. At a distance, I apologized for not seeing them. They didn't care. They kept coming and telling me what they were gonna do. I told them to stop because I had a gun. I guess they didn't believe me, because they kept coming and screaming. I am pretty sure they were high. Driver got to about a inch from the door and was met with the business end of a full frame 1911. He changed his mind and left...quickly.

I would have preferred to have just left, but that would have meant running over either the driver or passenger. I can assure you, though, had the driver taken one more step, it would have been his last one.

I don't understand why such a simple question (or similar ones) always turn into this type of 'discussion'... But that is a topic for another discussion in itself.

Anyhoo, back on point; sounds like you have plenty of reasonable suggestions.

I would lock it up in the trunk (secure it with one of those cable locks that go through the handle and out the ejection port, CAREFULLY so that it doesn't goof up the extraction pin), separate the ammunition and weapon, lock in the trunk and don't worry about it.

Out of sight and nothing to promote breaking into/stealing your car over someone else, you should be fine.

Obviously make sure you've got the S/N written down, just in case something does happen you can report it stolen right away.

By the way, [you probably know this, but just in case someone reading along doesn't] storing the firearm under the driver's seat is a big no no; unless you are in a state that allows conceal/carry (and you have the appropriate permit) or that recognizes your vehicle as an extension of your domicile (there are some things I love about Texas :happy34:), in which case you are allowed to keep it in your car within reach of the driver.

Enjoy your cruise!!

My Guess is that you are wrong. It may surprise you how many people carry a weapon. If you think the Police can protect you you are mistaken they don't protect they investigate...... big difference

It is also to bad that when these mental people go off and start shooting people that someone isn't carrying a weapon on them to put a stop to it.

For those that think carrying a weapon is silly tell me this. We are setting in a McDonalds with our families and a doped up crazy person comes in with a gun and is going to start shooting everyone, do you want me to pull my gun and protect your wife and kids?...............hummm a little different when it's you isn't it. How many people would be saved if there was a person with a pistol to fire back.

Edited by Rick Haywood

I have needed mine three times in the 30 years or so I have been carrying it. It changed a bad situation into a non situation.

Seems I'm a little late but thought I'd throw my 02. in. I seriously doubt you'll find a police department to hold your firearm but you never know. I know there is no way mine would. The safe in the car idea is a good one if it is secured to something in the car. Otherwise what will just get carried away. I'd call the police department that covers this area and ask for stats for car break ins for this lot. This kind of stuff is public info. It might be on line as well.

I have to laugh, in good fun, at the poster in Canada about never locking your doors. I went to Hamilton (Ontario I believe) last year to teach at a LE seminar. I was there for almost a week and learned a lot about Canada. At least this part of Canada. I know burglaries are a pretty big business for these officers and their 4 legged partners. So are other petty crimes. I know firearms are not the issue we have but there is still plenty of crime. That said. I have family in Minnesota that still never lock their doors and have never had a problem. Of course they live out in the middle of nowhere.

As they say, "When seconds count...the police are only minutes away."

If everyone here took the time to learn how many police officers you have working the street at any one time you might be shocked. Take that number and devide it into the number citizens in the city, town or county. You'll understand why the police can't be everywhere. Hell, I'm retired and I still carry when I leave the house. I live in a very safe neighborhood and I still lock the doors every time we go out. Everyone should be taking responsibility to protect your own. Although the police would like to protect everyone and arrest every bad guy but we all know this will never happen. Heck, even courts have ruled in lawsuits that the police are under no obligation to protect us.

Every law abiding citizen should be allowed to carry but I believe it should be concealed. I do not like the open carry bit unless you're an on duty LEO but that's just my belief.

If everyone here took the time to learn how many police officers you have working the street at any one time you might be shocked. Take that number and devide it into the number citizens in the city, town or county. You'll understand why the police can't be everywhere.

Okay, since it was mentioned, here is a 'fun' fact.

The town I worked in has a population of ~15,000 people.

On Friday and Saturday nights (3-11pm) we would have 3 on. That's all. The rest of the week and time it was only 2. In my 5 years with the department, I was backed up by state twice. Not because it wasn't requested, but by the time they would have gotten there the situation was over. County was a little more frequent than that, but not by much.

Yee-haw.

Okay, back to topic.

"We are setting in a McDonalds with our families and a doped up crazy person comes in with a gun and is going to start shooting everyone, do you want me to pull my gun and protect your wife and kids?..............."

Oh come on now you know that will never happen to someone in the anti-gun crowd, especially the ones that live in an upscale neighborhood! You must just be some paranoid person or something, you should go see a Doctor and get help. :dancefool:

......The spare tire location would be a good hiding spot, plus it would make it more difficult to get to if you put the spare back on top of the safe.

Mostly a theft is looking for what is in plain sight, a good hiding sight around the spare or under the back seat normally doesn't get searched by a theft making a quick heist... :2cents:

PS: Be nice and keep this thread respectful or it will be gone....:usa:

Guest Tinman

I live in a town that REQUIRES all residents to have a firearm and amunition to match in the house. I live in Kennesaw, Georgia, just NW of Atlanta up I75. I obey the law. Our town has a very low crime rate, especially low on burglaries and home invasions. I do not have a carry permit, so the Walther 9MM stays home. Never needed it, hope I never will.

Someone here brought up a good point.

When you lock your weapon up, it would be GOOD IDEA, to place it out of drivers reach (trunk?) and to seperate ammo from the weapon. This makes it harder for someone that doesn't have your permission to use your weapon.

Also take some targets along. If you are stopped and searched just say you like to target practice.

Nothings foolproof, but if you don't make the police uneasy by having a loaded gun under a car seat and not having a CCW in that state or reciprocal agreement, it will probably go easier on you.

The actual stats for Florida are .07% of the population have conceal carry permits. So it would be more like 99.83%

If criminals were confined to one geographic or demographic location your response would be accurate, unfortunately they are not.

But it is a matter of demographic, location and odds.

Just driving down to a cruise, and driving home after wards the odds are much less than cruising the country and stopping lots of different places.

And don't tell me you don't play the odds. We all do every time we get on a bike. Do you wear all the gear all the time.. Even just going a mile to the store, you take time to suit up?

He asked for suggestions, I gave one, I wasn't suppose to be a debate.