IGNORED

The Alaskan Highway..... tips??

stvmaier

Just got back from a 2 1/2 month odyssey. The trip of a life time and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The last part of the Al-can in the Yukon form Haynes Junction to the border was real bad due to permafrost heaves and pot holes. You really have to watch the road but I think it's easier on two wheels because you can pick your line. We hit about 30 miles of construction right at the Alaska border and that was real bad. All in all the worse spots are where ever they are working on the roads. The RSV just isn't made for off roading.

I highly recommend the "Top of the World Hwy." It's 100 miles of gravel road but well worth the trip. BUT....if it's wet, don't do it. We got lucky and got a nice dry day. It was real dusty and rough on the Alaska side. Still dusty but smoother on the Yukon side. It rained the night after we drove it and washed out three culverts, closing the road for a number of days and we heard that some folks were caught on it.

There were lots of folks on bikes. Everything from dual sports to Goldwings and even HDs. I think the best way to see it is on two wheels.

We took the Alaska Marine Ferry from Prince Rupert to Juneau and then to Haynes. If this is part of your plan and you want a berth you should book it at least 6 months in advance. You don't need a reservation on the short trip from Juneau to Haynes.

Be prepared, they think the gold rush is still on up there. EVERYTHING is expensive. Unless you're sleeping in a tent plan on about $250/day for two people.

Thanks guys.. Milepost is ordered!! Gary, thanks for the info. I heard it was pretty expensive. I am actually planning on doing some tent camping (when the weather looks good..). Are there long stretches in between gas stations??? I've read some places that say up to 150 miles in between and others say 50 miles..... just curious what your experience was with this???

Are there long stretches in between gas stations??? I've read some places that say up to 150 miles in between and others say 50 miles..... just curious what your experience was with this???

The only place we had an issue with gas was on the trip from Anchorage to Danali. When we finally found a place the RSV took 5.7 gallons. I filled up in Anchorage and should have filled again in Wasilla. When ever I got to 1/2 full I started looking. Study the mile post every night before you leave. There's info in there on all of the major roads. Gas was most expensive on the ride from Dawson City to Whitehorse and I think in Northern BC. Gas $1.80/litre , Bowl of soup $8.50, Coffee $3.50. Some of the Lodges and small communities have no electricity and have to run generators 24/7.

Let me know when you get here. I'll help in any way I can. I might also try to ride with you. When ever I ride north of Anchorage I always fuel up at the Talkeetna turnoff. It's 100 miles out of Anchorage (50-ish miles north of Wasilla). It's open 24 hours and gas there is about 10 cents more than in Anchorage (and that's great compared to everywhere else). Then make sure you go into Talkeetna and eat at the Roadhouse (post meal ice cream at Nagley's). The next stop is the Tesoro just north of Healy. It has the next best gas price on the Parks Hwy and is also open 24 hours. They don't have credit card slots on the gas pumps but the friendly people inside take care of that. They also have free coffee and have just remodeled the interior. A few miles of frost heaves then the road flattens out until Nenana. Then it's through the mountains and into the tanana Valley and Fairbanks (it's a real city with the biggest Fred meyer in the nation - which they are currently expanding). Enjoy!!!

WOW!!! I'll be sure to look you up!! We'll be staying with some military friends that are stationed there. Hoping to be there for 5 days or so... should be able to fit in a ride (AKA- guided tour....). But,as I stated ... it'll be the summer after next..... :(

ever rode the alaskan highwy to Dawson creek... or Edmonton??? Just wondering how long it will take....

Talk about green...

I was planning to go next year in summer but need to get to Indy by August 16th or so. I have the Milepost (2009 Ed.), some maps and have been looking at some sites where people have traveled the road.

Good to see we have some folks here that have done the trip.

I decided to delay it until 2012 because I'm considering using a dual sport (something that runs on regular gas) but there is a definite toss up on the tire issue. I understand those roads eat tires for lunch, so where do we ship some extra ones? I would love to hit Denali National Park and the furthest place north we can go.

I have some American Legion friends who live in Alaska (the new American Legion National Commander is Jimmie Foster by the way), so maybe they could help out with logistics somehow.

I was planning on camping most of the time except an occasional overnight at a place where I can load up telephone and camera batteries.

I've been looking for someone who wanted to take the trip with me or whom I could accompany.

Other than the Top of the World Hwy. (100 miles of gravel) and several construction zones, all the roads we drove were paved. I don't know why you would need to ship new tires unless you're starting out on worn rubber. I put a new set of Avon's on before I left and they look like new yet. There's a big HD/Metric dealer in Fairbanks and I suppose they would help you out if you needed tire work.

As far as how long it takes from Edmonton to Fairbanks, it's better than 1800 miles and all paved except for any construction. Probably average 50+ miles per hour so that works out to 36 hours. But what's your hurry? Lots of stuff to check out along the way.

thanks Gary.... HAhaha No "Big" hurry.... but I am limited on vacation time... was hoping to pull off the whole trip in about 3 weeks..... Should be no problem... Did 6500 miles last year in 2 weeks..... but was told by a friend of a friend that his buddy (in an RV) took well over two MONTHS to make the trip due to road conditions.... I think he MAY be exaggerating a bit.........

thanks Gary.... HAhaha No "Big" hurry.... but I am limited on vacation time... was hoping to pull off the whole trip in about 3 weeks..... Should be no problem... Did 6500 miles last year in 2 weeks..... but was told by a friend of a friend that his buddy (in an RV) took well over two MONTHS to make the trip due to road conditions.... I think he MAY be exaggerating a bit.........

After being there, I would never consider taking my RV up there unless I was going to trade it off when I got back. Some of the roads up there would tear it apart. It's much better on a bike. We took 6 weeks from Edmonton and back plus another 3 weeks from home to Edmonton and back in the RV but I didn't have a dead line.

It's about 3500 miles from Chicago to Anchorage. That's 7 days at 500 miles/per day. And don't forget, Construction delays, Border crossings, Weather delays, and slow going due to rough road conditions.

I wouldn't even attempt the trip in three weeks from home. Three weeks to go to Alaska and back (IMHO) is a marathon not a vacation. You'll need a vacation from your vacation. There's just to much to see and do. So much beauty.

Thanks for posting that video Michael.

I guess it's one thing to look at a map and plan a trip, but it sure helps the planning when you can see what's involved.

I used to do 500 miles a day or more when I was younger, but I have learned to get off the highways and smell the pine trees. I did all of the interstates when I was younger, but now at least 1/2 of my trips are spent off the interstates. Lot of country to see and people to meet.

Alaska covers three climate zones, so I guess I'll show her some respect and take a couple of days longer. I'm going to plan 2- 2 1/2 months for the trip with the option to take longer, if necessary. What's the use of being retired it you can't take the time you need and who knows how much time we really have? "Bucket List" keeps getting longer with more check marks under the "Been there, done that, Got the T-shirt" column. :Avatars_Gee_George:

Wish I had that kind of time....... but, I don't. Maybe I'll make the trip AGAIN if/when I retire........ as for now, I want to make sure I "make the ride". I have a place to stay when I get there, and am in decent health now.... so, I'm gonna go for it!! If everything goes as planned.. should be there is 7-8 days which would leave me 4-5 days to rest in Alaska befor heading home.... if not hopefully I'm there in 9-10 days which doesn't leave me much time to visit.... we'll see. If I run over on time... so be it. It's just one of those trips that I REALLY want to make... even if it's a "Marathon".

Wow, that video is excellent! A real good representation of what you can expect. We were there the last week of June and didn't see as much snow and no ice on the lakes. The haul road was dry and in good shape for us but we took a tour out of Fairbanks in a van instead of driving the bike and I'm glad we did that because I got a break and was able to enjoy the scenery. I wish he would have shown a little more of the Top of the World Hwy. from Chicken to Dawson City. That was one of the highlights of the trip for us. If I ever get the chance to go back again I'd like to drive the Cassiar Hwy. up through BC. Everyone I talked to who had driven up that way said it was wonderful.

never took a bike but i have done 3 round trips and i would definately plan my stops so i was off the road when the sun goes down. one of the thrills of the highway is the amount and variety of wildlife you will see, up close and personal. black bear in abundance, buffalo, elk, caribou, wolf, maybe even a grizzly. most don,t seem overly concerned about being in close proximaty to people. meeting a bear at night coming around a curve might not be the memory to take away from the trip.

I bought a plastic headlight protector and put it on before I left for Alaska. A small investment to save the cost of a new headlight. I have a 2" crack right in the middle of the protector so I guess it did it's job. They don't list one specific for the RSV so I ordered one for a Road Star. I had to sand it a little on the belt sander to clear the visor but no big deal.

http://www.ventura-mca.com/products/lightguard.aspx