IGNORED

Riding to West Virginia

ediddy

Haven't had a vacation so I am leaving after work tomorrow and riding to west virginia. I looked up an old thread from 3/09 that listed some sites to see but wondering if anyone else in west vriginia recommends any other sites to see. Thanks

Anything around Seneca Rocks is fantastic riding. Route 33 west of Harrisonburg is a great ride. Further south, mining country like Welch is nice roads but watch out for the trucks and four wheelers.

Anywhere near Yammer Dan's house is nice. You can tell you're near when you hear the distinct sound of someone trying to start an old first gen.

I have rode West Virgina a lot. I love the sceenery and the people. The Casss Scenic Railroad is nice. Myself and a couple friends rode there and took the train ride, nice. I liked it so well, and my little boy is a train lover, that I took my whole family back and did the train ride again. Make sure and take camera on train, when you reach your destination there is a beatuiful water fall.

The Scenica Rocks is ok, but not all that you think, it is some nice riding. But if you want to see the view from the rocks, then you will need your serious hiking boots. Although it was very hot weather when we where there. They do have a very nice viewing biulding and veiw scope out back.

And always be aware when you are riding on the back country roads, exspecially the roads that the coal trucks use. The trucks round the curves and pull up gravel from the side of the blacktop onto the blacktop, so be aware at all times. Also if they get any measurable rain in the mountains, the water comes off the mountains quickly and puts gravel and debri on the roadway from driveways and ditches and such.

Just some FYI. I work for the State HWY Department and see and hear of the wrecks all the time here in the Ky mountains (Rowan county).

Hope you have a very good time. I highly would recomend that you visit Elkins and then Beckly WV too. Just make yourself a round trip up through the Hawks Nest to Elkins and back. Have a safe trip.

Thanks all for the info. One more thing. What is the weather like in WV now. Long sleeve or short sleeve shirts, do I need to take a jacket? Thanks.

You will need a Jacket and Chaps at the higher elevations. The temp here in the lower western WV today was 83, which means at Snowshoe, Spruce Knob, Davis and etc. probably didn't reach 70? Some of my favorite rides are Rt 33 from Brandywine west to Elkins. If in the area of Riverton, ride to Spruce Knob and back. ( Highest point in WV)

Any ride in the area of Davis, Parsons, Petersburg, Cass, Marlington (esp Rt 150, Highland Scenic Highway) Rt 250 from Monterey VA to Elkins, Rt 220 from Franklin to Romney, Rt 4 from Clendenin through Sutton and many,many more great rides. Playing Bluegrass Music in the Franklin area this weekend, so I won't be riding much, Check out the Treasure Mountain Festival if in the area of Franklin on 18th,19th. Ride safe and enjoy WV!!!

There really isn't any bad place to ride. The straightest roads in the state scare the jeebies out of the flatlanders so your really can't go wrong. A word of caution is that you can't always trust your GPS. Both of mine constantly try to take me on backroads that don't exist, so look further than the next turn on the things. Hit me with a PM if you're going to be in the center of the state and I can give you some other ride suggestions.