IGNORED

Buckeye Stator Upgrade

petekadish

Hopefully, sometime soon I will once again be able to impose on one of my friendships for some mechanical assistance with this installation. Paul ..., are you listening? I'm sure that we can work-out some sort of a deal.

Thanks again guys!

Pete.

If I remember correctly, Paul is at work today and heading out tomorrow on a ride for the weekend. You may not hear from him for a few days.

Dave

Thanks to everyone's great replies, I just ordered a new stator and a regulator-rectifier from Rick at Buckeye Performance.

Hopefully, sometime soon I will once again be able to impose on one of my friendships for some mechanical assistance with this installation. Paul ..., are you listening? I'm sure that we can work-out some sort of a deal.

Thanks again guys!

Pete.

Did he say when you will get your new stator? It was my understanding they were all out right now.

Yep! I knew that Paul would be tied-up with work and a group ride this weekend (one that I would have liked to have joined). But, I don't expect the new stator to arrive right away anyway. As a matter of fact, I didn't even think to ask when I should expect it to arrive. Seriously, I won't even attempt anything with this project by myself. So, I am going to have to wait to install it until I can find a friend to work on it with me.

Pete.

Pete, I hope you don't think I'm using you as a guinea pig (although, I guess I am). But, please update this thread when you get the work finished. Like you, I also want to run heated clothing/extra electricals/lighting, but I haven't been able to convince myself to spend the money. Please let us know how it works out for you. Thanks, Don

Sure. Not a problem. From all of the research I have done so far, and considering the different kinds of demands I make on my system, upgrading the stator and the Regulator/Rectifier seems to be a wise choice.

During our last Big Ride a couple of weeks ago, we got kind of stranded on three separate occasions when our battery died. I won't go in to detail right now, but I will say that it was really inconvenient and frustrating. Granted, my battery was clearly ready to be replaced anyway due to it's age and all the use it had to that point. Nevertheless, after those experiences I will be showing my electrical and charging system a little more respect from now on. If for no other reason than to help avoid situations similar to those again.:fingers-crossed-emo

Pete.

• 1 year later...

Wow! This is almost a deja vu kinda thing. The bike is in the shop with issues from the Regulator/Rectifier. Up until last week, everything has been fine with my charging system. But, all of a sudden I was using more amps than I could generate. And, then ..., I wasn't getting any spark and couldn't "fire" the bike after cranking it. A long and frustrating trip to STAR Days in Reno this year to be sure. But, the bike is now in the capable hands of my experienced mechanic.

Not stuck, just griping a little.

Be Safe!

Pete.

Hmmmm, I am experiencing a charging system anomoly as we speak!! I have the Buckeye stator and an upgraded regulator. Yesterday my system crapped out but after it setting for several hours and push starting, the system is working again!! So I have a thermal issue somewhere! I am going to reinstall my R/R first and see if it is that or the stator. Not a real happy camper right now...

• 9 years later...

Sometimes the smallest electrical issue can be caused by  hard to find bad connections ..A corroded connection or rotten wire has been the death of electrical components  ..I have seen a bad rectifier be the cause of a slow death of a  stator & battery ...I do know that my new Yamaha Stator for my XVZ1200  came with a oil deflector which they said was for Stator Cooling  ...