IGNORED

Front End Vibration

Grindo

frankd's post has got me a little spooked about this so I'm going to run it up the flag pole for ideas. My 03 roadstar has developed a front end vibration that feels almost like a grinding. It's only there when the bike is straight up and moving around 30 mph. If I lean at all, the vibration goes away. I recently put on new Pirelli tires, about 300 miles before the vibration started. In looking at the tire I don't see anything obvious that would cause it. I checked all the calipers and the axle when I changed the tire. I'm concerned that something is going bad in the wheel. It seems like it's getting worse, but I may just be looking for it. Any ideas?

I'd give the wheel bearings a thoroughly going over. Sounds like to me while going straight they're making noise but when leaned over the bearings are being loaded up differently thus taking away the noise and vibrations. Above 30mph you probably can't hear them. Raise the front wheel off the ground and the place one hand on the axle shaft and then spin the wheel with the other. you may feel or hear the bearings acting up then.

Good luck

Larry

I put it up on the jack and spun the wheel. Only sound was from the pads gently rubbing the discs. I don't have any problem with the tracking. Yammer, I didn't see your post until just now or I would have taken you up on the offer. The bike has a new home in the basement of my new office building. Working on setting it up as a small but proper shop. let me know when you're available and we can take a look at it.

Next question, is this something that I should stay off the bike until solved. hoped to ride tomorrow.

Does the bike want to follow the lines/cracks in the road? If so I would say it's your steering head bearings needing to be tightened. Vibrations at 30MPH usually indicate steering head bearings that are loose. At least it does for the RSV.

The vibration doesn't feel like a wobble or loose steering. It feels and sounds like a whirring or fine grinding. That's what makes me think bearing, but I'm not sure how to confirm.

The vibration doesn't feel like a wobble or loose steering. It feels and sounds like a whirring or fine grinding. That's what makes me think bearing, but I'm not sure how to confirm.

Check the torque on your axle. It might be loose from the tire change. I think it might be 50ftlbs...