IGNORED

Cruise Control Cable

Hey gang, I've got the plastic off from working on the carbs and thought I'd lube the cables and check my cruise control that doesn't want to engage. Electronics seem to work but the cruise won't engage. I've opened up the cable cover where the pulleys are and noticed quite a bit of slack. See attached. Is that normal? Also, another problem I introduced is the spring fell out. What is the proper orientation of the spring. Any pics available?

If this is for your Vmax, I'm not sure if it's the same, but if it's for the 87 then it should be.

You can download the 83-85 manual from the link. Use the 83-85 manual, the 86-93 manual doesn't seem to know anything about cruise control. The diagram that helped me is on Page 9, 1st section. Hope this helps.

Carl

http://labs.trunkful.com/vrmanuals/index.cfm

The cable in your photo has an insert at the curve; there are two of these. Mine (86 VR) was working, but with a slight bind on the throttle; replaced all cables. The hard plastic insert had worn through on one at my 76,000 miles. The cruise cables that always move (I think) when even just the throttle is being moved coast $65 from my wrench. One of the two old ones was still good and I kept it. THESE are scarce as hens teeth so you might want to get a pair and put them on if you have high mileage. Mine works like a dream, up hills and glass. Good luck!

JackZ

Jack Tharp

Ft Collins, CO :fingers-crossed-emo