IGNORED

What can be used for paint protection?

What is everyone doing, if anything for paint protection? I can see how the lower fairings and bags could get chipped up, and the tank will see some wear as well.

Is the only option to buy sheets of 3m and custom cut it?

I wasn't particular about the color of my new bike, but I forgot what a pain black paint is to keep clean and swirl free.

When I repainted mine I put some of the 3M clear chip stuff on the lower cowlings behind the tire just to help with that. You can cut it any shape you wish but remember it wont stop some chips. I see cars with the stuff all over the front of them and they still get chips in them, if a piece of stainless steel will get chips or diamond plate there isnt much you can do to stop it other than not ride it. I tell customers all the time we cant stop chips only help prevent some. Just my 2 cents good luck.

I'm at 23k on my midnight and I really haven't had any issues with chips on the plastic parts. What few I've found on fenders, I use touch up paint. As for as swirls go, I wash it and blow dry it and then use eagleone's spray on wax and polish it with a cotton polishing clothe (no swirls or white residue).

I had some custom mudflaps made for my bike by a friend whom has a tack shop for horses. He done a really neet job.I done first with card board template, and then took to him. I could not find decent mudflaps anywhere on webb.

I also and would very highly recommend using ReJex wax. This is used in the air line industry for airplane wings. I got it and put it on last yr after being informed of it on Riders Club of America webb site, and it is still beading on my bike. Very , very good stuff. Get it from True Value, they orded mine and it is around 18-20 dollars for a small amount, but it goes a long way. You put it on and wipe off and let it cure for 12 hours before riding. Very good stuff...... Oh Ya, I use a leaf blower from Wallmart for about 20 bucks to blow my bike off after washing and it works great; no wiping dry.

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
forgot something