IGNORED

Geothermal going in!!!

Godlover

For years I've been interested in Geothermal units. We bit the bullet and are in the process of having it installed. Last week they drilled three 175 foot wells. This week they bored into our basement with the main line and hooked the three wells together. Next week the Geo unit goes in. It has been fun to watch each step. The best news is we get a 30 percent tax credit and to a 20 percent rebate from our utility company! We are saving 1/2. People ask what our payback will be - well, our old system needed to be upgraded so for almost the cost of a conventional heat system we have Geothermal.

For years I've been interested in Geothermal units. We bit the bullet and are in the process of having it installed. Last week they drilled three 175 foot wells. This week they bored into our basement with the main line and hooked the three wells together. Next week the Geo unit goes in. It has been fun to watch each step. The best news is we get a 30 percent tax credit and to a 20 percent rebate from our utility company! We are saving 1/2. People ask what our payback will be - well, our old system needed to be upgraded so for almost the cost of a conventional heat system we have Geothermal.

The hubby and I put geothermal in when we built our house in 1998. I about croaked at the upfront cost....but....it has more than paid for itself many times over. You won't regret it.:dancefool:

On my second unit. Started having trouble with the first one and replacing parts and the last time I had a problem the service guy said "well, the life expectancy is only about fifteen years". I was ready to pull it out and put a gas furnace in but with the government incentives I was able to put another, newer and better geo unit it for only a bit more than a gas unit so I did. Hope I'm out of here before this one starts to cost $$$$. :fingers-crossed-emo

But I really do like the way they work when they're working.

I looked into it about two years ago. The guy came out and did the energy survey and was actually pretty honest with me. I already have a very high efficiency unit and it is likely good for many more years. He told me that due to the efficiency of my current unit, the payback on the Geothermal until would take about as long as it's life expectancy. Just made no sense to move ahead with it.

If your building a new house or have to replace an old furnace, its the way to go. They have come a long way sence the mid 80's with these units. Friend's are reporting average cooling and heating costs of 70.00 a month over the course of the year.

I looked into it about two years ago. The guy came out and did the energy survey and was actually pretty honest with me. I already have a very high efficiency unit and it is likely good for many more years. He told me that due to the efficiency of my current unit, the payback on the Geothermal until would take about as long as it's life expectancy. Just made no sense to move ahead with it.

If a person isn't ready to replace their old unit or already has a very high efficiency unit that's true. The incentives make it attractive for those of us who have older units and will need to replace them in a few years. Even with that I don't think I would pay $18,000 to put a unit in - but our cost dropped to $9,000 with incentives. A conventional high efficient unit would cost around 8,000. We live in a 3,000 sq. ft. home and our house is all electric. I would encourage anyone who is considering a new furnance/air conditioner to at least look at the incentives and prices.