I have a 84 XVZ ,an when I'am coming to a stop, the the front wobbles like crazy. I messed with the air pres. an that helpped alot but I don't know what way I did it rear also.Does it need more air or less in the front. My class sym went up but the pump works good so I by past the sym.an added some toggle swites an it works great but did not add any gauges so not sure where my pres. are Iam going to add the gauges soon

The steering head checks ok an tires are new an air pres. is right

Thanks for any help on this one:witch_brew:

Be interesting to see what the replies on this are. I am glad you asked, I experienced the same thing on my 89. A couple of weeks ago I was coming to a stop at a light, and briefly shook both hands down to just kind of wake them up. Handlebar started wobbling side to side really bad, fortunately I was able to grab them before anything bad happened. Mine is an 89.

Thanks for the replies,Steering head ok,tires are new no cupping there.It some how has to do with the air presures I think. I hit the air pres. a couple of times right on an the bike stopped great not a wobble one.but cant figure out more or less in the front or rear

Be interesting to see what the replies on this are. I am glad you asked, I experienced the same thing on my 89. A couple of weeks ago I was coming to a stop at a light, and briefly shook both hands down to just kind of wake them up. Handlebar started wobbling side to side really bad, fortunately I was able to grab them before anything bad happened. Mine is an 89.

Mine (1990 VR) does the same thing at about 35-40 mph. Had it fixed until I rebuilt the forks with seals and it started over again. I'll keep my hands on the bars for awhile. Don't want to tear it down again. Air pressure, neck bearings, who knows?:confused07:

Thanks for the replies,Steering head ok,tires are new no cupping there.It some how has to do with the air presures I think. I hit the air pres. a couple of times right on an the bike stopped great not a wobble one.but cant figure out more or less in the front or rear

There are stickers on the bike that tell you the proper pressure in the tires. Under the side covers usually. But my rule is for any bias tire on a bike...front 20% less than max. listed on the sidewall of the tire and rear 10% less than the max. listed when riding solo.

Hey Guys thank you for the come backs, Maybe I used the wrong word when I said wobble. What it does, at the last little bit before you stop ( what maybe 5 miles hr. ) is when it does it. Its like you have a ton of weight on the rear, an the steering is real light. Like the front wheel is barely on the ground. You know that feeling when you have a pick-up over loaded the steering is very light. More of a wander than a wobble.

Thanks again Dave

Need Help with this one

Dave,

With all of my experience with 1st gen front ends, my first feeling is that your head bearings are NOT ok. After your last statement about it being more of a wander than a wobble, it tells me that your head bearings are too tight where it will wander rather than run straigt. If they are too loose, you will get a bad head shake on deceleration when your hands are loose on the grips.

But if your front springs have never been replaced, most of the front end sag is gone which will leave you with less rake and trail which will also cause wobbles on deceleration.

You mention that you suspect air pressure in the forks or rear shock. Well if you have too much air in the forks it will feel light in the front.

The test for loose head bearings is to center stand it and have a friend pull down on the rear to take the front wheel off the ground. Then center the front wheel and nudge the handle bars off center. If the front end falls to the stops freely, the head bearings are too loose. If it moves slowly and stops after being nudged it is probably too tight. You want it to move and slowly come to a stop about half way to the stop.

I would start with removing all air from the forks and rear shock and then see where that goes. You didn't mention mileage and if the front springs have been replaced. I would start with getting the front forks back to oem specs and then start making other changes. But first check the head bearing torque.

Hope this helps,

Rick

My 88 VR "wobbled" on those cement highways with the groves in it, it was really bad going over a gridded bridge; had a Venom on the front with over 20,000 miles on it but it had good tread and no cupping. I think the tire must have had a broked belt. I replaced it with a Dunlope 491 Elete II and "wobble" left.