IGNORED

Another bad fuel pump?

2007 RSMV 24500 miles. Started bike up today and let it warm up. Took off and it felt like the bike was only running on 2 cylinders. Got about 1/4 mile and had to pull into a parking lot. As soon as I pulled in the clutch the bike died. Tried to restart and bike fired but did not start. Pulled out choke all the way and it started and but had to work pretty hard to keep runnning. Shut bike off and turn key back on to check electrical stuff. All appeared to be working. Dash and all lights were normal. Let sit about 10 to 15 minutes turned key on, heard fuel pump running and started up bike. It ran like nothing ever happened. I turned arround and went home. I wonder how long it will be before it happens again?. Guess I'll be calling dealer tomorrow to have them order a pump. :depressed:

well, it sounds similar to what I had problems with in the pump last summer..

Here's something to look at as well.. (this is what happened to me, hard lesson learned)

My fuel filter was soooo badly clogged that it would starve the engine when the fuel level got down to a certain amount, felt like I had reached reserve but there was more than that amount of fuel in the tank. The bike would stumble like it had reach reserve and then die. But if I added more fuel to the tank it would run properly again.. SO ODD to say the least.. Well, by the time I got to the fuel filter, we figured out that the 'head pressure' of a lot of fuel in the tank was assisting the fuel pump in sucking fuel past that dirty fuel filter but only after until it reached that critical level where head pressure would no longer help the pump. A new clean fuel filter fixed that problem.

Unfortunately, it also weakened my fuel pump so badly that a month or two later, while 5,000 miles away from home, the fuel pump up and died.. But it was dying a little at a time the week before we left but couldn't figure out the what who or why the bike was dying. All diagnostic checks saw the pump as 'fine' but that's because it would heat up enough to lose electrical contacts and the pump would shut off while it was hot. The dirty fuel filter over-worked the fuel pump so badly that it prematurely caused it to die..

Luckily for me I had a good friend help me out while in PA, (thanks SkyDoc) and the shop, try as they may after 5 days, could not find the fix but I ended up with over $3000 worth of free parts changed on the bike.. Then we took the bike to another city and the tech there found the problem within 30 minutes. The pump hadn't completely died at the first shop so it tested fine with them..

So strange a problem..

But now I change my fuel filter once a year..

There is a quick way to check if your fuel pump has failed, as the clicking noise isn't always heard even when the pump is 100% serviceable.

best of luck.. dunno if anything I said pertains to what ails your bike.. but ya never know..

Thanks for the replies. Called dealer and they ordered a new pump. It is still in warrenty and the service guy said no problem. Should be here by end on week if it isn't back ordered. I did check the fuel filter and it is fine, but will be putting in a new filter when I change the pump out.

Thanks for the replies. Called dealer and they ordered a new pump. It is still in warrenty and the service guy said no problem. Should be here by end on week if it isn't back ordered. I did check the fuel filter and it is fine, but will be putting in a new filter when I change the pump out.

They might 'look' fine when they are not.. I change mine out on spec each year.. After what all *I* went through last summer, I have no probs changing it often lol if nothing more than the peace of mind.