IGNORED

Some new thoughts on clutch basket whine

I believe it's because the basket gears and the primary gears are not a mated set and it's just by LUCK that some mate while others don't.

I agree. But with two points to add. Has anybody replaced them as a set??? And why doesn't Yamaha, when changing the basket under warranty replace them as a set???

It can't be that much additional work to change the crank gear?

If you make it to tight then your will get the chirp instead of the whine.

You can not replace both gears unless you replace the crankshaft also. The other gear is part of the crankshaft. WIshed it was not because I think you are right that if you had a matched set then there would be no problems.

Just my 2 cents that is only maybe worth 1 cent now

:think::bang head::think:

The other gear is part of the crankshaft.

:think::bang head::think:

I haven't had mine apart that far, but are you sure?

The exploded parts view on Bikebandit appears to show the crank end with a taper shaft and a keyway, but I couldn't find the crank end primary driver gear in the diagrams.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2000-yamaha-motorcycle-royal-star-venture-xvz13tfm-crankshaft-piston/o/m7566sch126875

I agree. But with two points to add. Has anybody replaced them as a set??? And why doesn't Yamaha, when changing the basket under warranty replace them as a set???

It can't be that much additional work to change the crank gear?

I think it's because they haven't bothered to "go the distance" in finding a proper solution and having a mated set machined. Either that or it was too costly to a) have mated sets machined and b) replace both under warranty.

I do know that "way back when" they did take gear lash measurements and Yamaha would then ship out a basket that supposedly would mate to that but I think it became too much of a "hassle". (this according to a mechanic at a local Yammi shop who's been around quite a while)

ahhhhhhh so here's a reasonable answer...

If you make it to tight then your will get the chirp instead of the whine.

You can not replace both gears unless you replace the crankshaft also. The other gear is part of the crankshaft. WIshed it was not because I think you are right that if you had a matched set then there would be no problems.

Just my 2 cents that is only maybe worth 1 cent now

It would be great if this forum could invest into a beat up royal star for r&d science.:happy34:

I would be the first to take mine apart to find a solution, just I use my bike too much to have it sit in pieces for a while. It would be a good winter project if I had a heated garage :snow2:.

I have been in the machine industry fore many years and have manufactured a few gears in my time. There is an angle machined on each tooth . Doesn't matter how many teeth each geer has. It has to mesh with another geer. Geers can be maid to be noisy or quiet, depends on the lead angle of each tooth. Example If you have been close to a hot rod chevy wile its running you will hear a high pitch wine in some of them, this do to changing the timing chain to a gear drive. these gears can be bought two ways noisy or quiet. the difference is the lead angle of the tooth . When Yahama offers us venture owners different letter clutch baskets (H) (I) (J) whatever, Its a shot in the dark hoping it fixs the problem,and fore a short time it may. The problem i think, is that the mating geer is not changed and Yahama is hopping one will wear in to the other, somtimes it does other times the wine comes back. Yahama does not want to pay to split the geer case and replace the mating geer. Just my thoughts.:Venture:

Straycatt

The taper shaft and a keyway on the crankshaft is for the stator side of the motor for the flywheel attachment.

I am not 100 % sure of the gear but I have never seen a parts break down that shows the gear for replacement . This usally means it is part of something else and comes as a whole unit.

Hope this helps:think:

I am not so sure...

My clutch noise sounded more like a Jenson mobile (the Cartoon)...more like a high pitched twirp or chirp and that sound was on the right side if the engine. I have always had a gear noise in the left side...the I basket did not do nothing for that. It does get louder as the temps outside go up around 90-100'F. I am not so sure cutting the teeth of the clutch basket will fix that gear whine.

It could be a little rear end noise, but suspect it is where the output shaft of the transmission changes angle to the drive shaft. That as I understand is where you loose a lot of horse power...extreme drive angles.

Recently put on some Krome Works pipes to help drowned out that noise. I get frustrated with that gear noise once in a while and go looking at other bikes...but then I realize this is the most comfortable bike on the market..so I wear ear plugs for a few days.

But the VSTAR custom 650 does not have all that gear noise, slight clutch chirp but no gear noise.

I think, as much as anything, the noise bounces off of the windshield.

I remember Snarley Bill did an experiment, some years ago, where he removed the windshield from his RSTD and said that the sound almost completely disappeared. Now if this is the case with the Venture, I don't know.

I do know that, when I first got my 99 that the chirp was ear piercing. It had a very high pitched component to it that was just horrid. When I got my XXL Clearview windshield the sound decreased somewhat but, more importantly, that ear piercing higher frequency decreased dramatically. This is probably due to the rake of the windshield being different than the stock.

So, I believe, the windshield is to blame for some, or a great deal, of the reflected sound.

FINALLY! - Yes, I couldn't agree more. The whine is probably noot too bad in reality, but it is loud in the cockpit for the pilot. The wife does not hear it as bad as I do and I know if you move your head to the left or right, it tends to quiet down. It's the way the cockpit is constructed and with the windscreen, YOU become the focused point of the whine. On my '05, it was so bad we had to get Mic Mutes for the intercom just so I didn't end up with a spliiting headache after the first 100 miles.

I did change to the same Clearview windscreen and although a bit quieter, it is still a large annoyance.

davecb

I have noticed the same thing. I have only had my 08 RSTD for about 6k miles. Got it w 4k on it and immediately did the service and oil change w Castrol synthetic. My bike did not like that oil but I stuck with it not knowing as much about this issue as I do now. As I got to about 7k the chirp/whine got REALLY loud. The weather also started to get 90+ here in Texas so it was hard to say which had a bigger part. At 8k service and oil change I went with Rotella 15W-40. Within about 200-300 miles the whine was gone, but the chirp remained.

After 3 trips to my local dealership to see about an I-basket swap, the dealership felt it was a final drive (rear end) issue and not a clutch issue. Two trips and a call to Yamaha yielded that there was a "message" out about improperly installed spacers in the final drive housing. Mine was found to have this issue. The tech pulled mine apart, found the grommets that hold the spacers were not seated correctly, liberally lubed everything and put it all back together. I have only been riding it for about 150 miles since the "fix", but so far all the whine and chirp is gone. Also the temperature has peaked here at 100+ .

I will admit to being very skeptical about this having been a final drive issue as I would have bet real money the sound was coming from right under me and not behind me, but am both humbled and happy with the outcome...............so far.

:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Two trips and a call to Yamaha yielded that there was a "message" out about improperly installed spacers in the final drive housing. Mine was found to have this issue. The tech pulled mine apart, found the grommets that hold the spacers were not seated correctly, liberally lubed everything and put it all back together.

hmmmmmmm... can you elaborate on this? specifically what spacers are you referring to here??

SilvrT, I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the rear drive. I am just trying to pass on the information the tech told me. On Tuesday I will try to get a copy of the "message" I was told about to further the info on it.

thanks M8t ... I await your followup with baited breath LOL

SilvrT, I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the rear drive. I am just trying to pass on the information the tech told me. On Tuesday I will try to get a copy of the "message" I was told about to further the info on it.

Waiting.......

Interesting also........

Its been awhile but I seem to remember when my bike approached the 3500 mile mark it started to wine between 45 and 55 mph. After I changed the oil and filter it did not come back. From what I have been reading on this forum I won't be experimenting with oils. Also... Yamaha service dealer told me I had one replacement on clutch basket but that it could make the whine worse... Just Glad the oil made a difference

Ohhhhh... one more thing, on my 650 v-star,

when I went to change the oil, the local yamaha shop was out of 20w40 so I used 10w30. THE DANG THING WINED UNTIL THE NEXT OIL CHANGE!

OIL CAN DEFINATELY MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

We need a a smilie with earmuffs!

My 07 had a bad whine.I took it to the oldest dealer around the louisville area .He said he bet the whine wasn't coming from the clutch,but it was either rear end needed shiming or rear drive was bad.Rear drive was replaced and whine was gone.

Well, I'm not having much luck so far.

I've been to two transmission shops and another automotive machine shop. They mostly say the same thing, the groove idea may help but they don't have the ability to do it.

One guy suggested that knocking the corners off the top edge of the gear teeth may help but possibly create mesh issues under full power. Another said all straight cut gears whine, period.

I've got a line on a transmission shop that builds hot rod and stock car race tranny's....they're my next stop. :fingers-crossed-emo

I think I've nailed it down. This week, I'm taking a Vstar 1300T for a test ride. Assuming all the numbers work, I will be trading in my TD - after 4 years, NO MORE WHINING!!!

It's truly a shame that with such a luxury bike, we have to put up with all this s--t. Personally, I've had enough - time to move on.

Cheers

Eugene

davecb

I have noticed the same thing. I have only had my 08 RSTD for about 6k miles. Got it w 4k on it and immediately did the service and oil change w Castrol synthetic. My bike did not like that oil but I stuck with it not knowing as much about this issue as I do now. As I got to about 7k the chirp/whine got REALLY loud. The weather also started to get 90+ here in Texas so it was hard to say which had a bigger part. At 8k service and oil change I went with Rotella 15W-40. Within about 200-300 miles the whine was gone, but the chirp remained.

After 3 trips to my local dealership to see about an I-basket swap, the dealership felt it was a final drive (rear end) issue and not a clutch issue. Two trips and a call to Yamaha yielded that there was a "message" out about improperly installed spacers in the final drive housing. Mine was found to have this issue. The tech pulled mine apart, found the grommets that hold the spacers were not seated correctly, liberally lubed everything and put it all back together. I have only been riding it for about 150 miles since the "fix", but so far all the whine and chirp is gone. Also the temperature has peaked here at 100+ .

I will admit to being very skeptical about this having been a final drive issue as I would have bet real money the sound was coming from right under me and not behind me, but am both humbled and happy with the outcome...............so far.

:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Can you post a copy of this mesage? Dealers around here never seem to get them....