1983 VR, 86,000 km

Here's whats happening:

• A few rides ago, I noticed my temp guage dropping to bottom every few minutes...like a loose wire or something.
  • Today, I noticed my voltmeter reading 9-10, previoulsy it was always at about 13
  • After a fairly long ride, there wasn't enough power to start...like battery was dead.
  • On the way home it was missing occasionally...like starved for fuel or spark.

At one point, I was sitting at a light and put on my turn signal, and the tach was pulsing with the flasher! It was bouncing from 1100 to 3000 when at at idle (tach reading only...not revs)

So does this sound like TCI is on its way out...or could low battery from poor stator output do all that?:mo money::mo money:

I don't think TCI would cause any of those problems.

I would look at all the battery connections.

Main ground on right front of engine block.

Stator to harness connection near air ride damper adjuster.

Gary

Sounds to me like you have a battery and/or battery charging issue. Either your battery needs replaced or something has gone south in the charging system (battery, stator or rectifier). You can review the steps for diagnosing the problem found in the Repair Manual here on this site. Good luck.

I agree with cleaning the ground connection termination (right front of motor) and checking your stator to regulator connector for burnt pins. Your heat gauge going to cold is a different thing. If you remove the right lower, on the coolant connector you will see 2 different places that wires connect. The one with 2 wires is the fan switch. The one with one wire is the heat gauge sender. Clean the connecter and use a pair of pliers and make the female connector a little tighter.

Frank D.