IGNORED

Another question from a new venture rider

Rick Haywood

I have a 2000 Venture that is new to me and I was wondering (since I have no owners manual) What lights come on when You turn on the key. Mine only has the yellow check engine light come on for a few seconds then when I kit the starter 2 red lights one each side on the bottom come on while starting it.Should there be other lights come on when the key is on? Also I noticed 2 times in the 4,000 miles I have put on the bike that when it was really hot and I had a tail wind the yellow check engine light came on very faintly so faintly that at first I wasn't sure if itwas on or if it was the sun. Does this light let you know it is getting a little warm or what?

Thanks for the help. I am sure I will get everything figured out with you alls help

Rick

I have a 2000 Venture that is new to me and I was wondering (since I have no owners manual) What lights come on when You turn on the key. Mine only has the yellow check engine light come on for a few seconds then when I kit the starter 2 red lights one each side on the bottom come on while starting it.Should there be other lights come on when the key is on? Also I noticed 2 times in the 4,000 miles I have put on the bike that when it was really hot and I had a tail wind the yellow check engine light came on very faintly so faintly that at first I wasn't sure if itwas on or if it was the sun. Does this light let you know it is getting a little warm or what?

Thanks for the help. I am sure I will get everything figured out with you alls help

Rick

I was told to add pictures of my bike so here they are

Rick,

I also have a 2000 RSV, the two-tone red one, not the white millenium edition like yours. I just went out and checked my dash board while turning on the ignition. Mine does EXACTLY what you described, and its been running great since I bought it used in 2007. Fortunately, mine came to me with the owner's manual. Unfortunately, it does not tell you anything in the single paragraph addressing the Check Engine Light. It just tells you to take it to the dealer. Bear in mind that I am not a mechanic, but two of my brothers are auto mechanics. One of them is sitting here watching the Phillies game with me now. He says that based on what you described your problem is most likely either the radiator cooling fan, sensor, and/or coolant level. He STRONGLY suggests that if you aren't sure, get it to the dealer. They should be able to plug a small, hand-held computer into your bike, which will give them a diagnostic code that will tell them where to look. Obviously, those computers aren't cheap, so be prepared to pay for it. But it might be worth the money if they can find what's wrong (or isn't). Hope this helps. Don

Edited by DONATALIE

Try this link for both owner's and service manuals:

www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1828

Welcome to the group!

Feets, Thanks for the link. In just a minute or two I did find out I have a clock on the dash and also how to get it to display and how to set it, Cool Thanks again

Also that is a picture of my 78 wing and my Venture

Edited by Rick Haywood
added something

Rick,

There are no on-board troubleshooting codes available on this bike. The idiot lights are all you get.

When it is hot and you stop, can you hear the fan going (yes, you will need to turn the bike off to hear it - but keep the key in the RUN position)? If not, your fan may not be working properly (fuse, temp sensor, or fan motor). Check in the Technical Library for troubleshooting.

There are both the owner's manual and a complete Yamaha Repair Manual on line here. Both are pretty big files.

RR

Rick,

There are no on-board troubleshooting codes available on this bike. The idiot lights are all you get.

When it is hot and you stop, can you hear the fan going (yes, you will need to turn the bike off to hear it - but keep the key in the RUN position)? If not, your fan may not be working properly (fuse, temp sensor, or fan motor). Check in the Technical Library for troubleshooting.

There are both the owner's manual and a complete Yamaha Repair Manual on line here. Both are pretty big files.

RR

I have never been able to hear the fan but then again how do I know if it's hot enough to kick the fan on? When I stop I normally hit the kill switch and have never really payed attention to see if I can hear it but I will start paying attention. Does anyone know if a light comes on if it does get hot?

rick! welcome and hello from Dixon Illinois!

did i see you on rt 39 last week in Peru?

Yes you probably did. I don't remember what day it was but I went up to JC whitney to get a mount for my Sirius radio. I believe it was Thursday. What did we do pass each other?

i know most of the members in this area, and several with the mm like yours, but i knew that your was not one of them.

lets get together for a rootbeer sometime.

Sounds great just name the time and locations and I'll meet you there. I am semi retired at this point so anytime works

Thursday's great. I just need to be back in Eureka by 5:00 pm because I go on a Ice Cream ride with our local GWRRA chapter on Thursdays and I am taking my daughter this time since see is headed off to College and wont be able to see them for awhile, we usually have anywhere from 12 to 18 bikes go. Call me and lets set up a time and place.

Three O Nine dash too 6 four dash 5 six O six

Talk Later

Rick.

PS Great board seems like family and I have made new friends already. Thanks everyone:dancefool: