IGNORED

Just curious

1rooster

WOW! I didn't buy my venture for it's blinding speed. I bought it because it was comfortable and has all the bells and whistles. If I was just looking for speed I'd have been satisfied with my Suzuki M95. Not to mention the M handles great.

But I love the G2 Venture. Oh, and most of all so does the wife. :)

I did't get mine for blinding speed, as I knew F* all about the Ventures at the time. But I do have fun with it at times.

Actually, the 1st gens have some bells & whistles, that the 2nd gen do not have.

CLASS for the air suspension, Gauges including a tach & a rear shock that keeps on going for decades. Must not forget, no rev limiter........

For myself, I find the feet forward positioning, not as comfy as the feet under position.

:2cents:

Yep, I rode my brothers (Smoothcruiser) 1200 1st gen and it is definately faster than my 07' but not nearly as comfortable. By the way he still has it for sale, I wish I had $4,000 to give him, I would be a happy man in both worlds.

I'm with Boo, I have owned 8 Ventures, 4 1st gens - '84, 2 86's and an '89 and 4 2nd gens 3 99's and an '08 The 1200 cc's are the fastest of them all as they had a little hotter cam. The G2's are the most comfortable imo.

What does the vmax cams do for the 2nd gens? It must really reduce gas mileage??

Just curious. :-)

What does the vmax cams do for the 2nd gens? It must really reduce gas mileage??

Just curious. :-)

Mark,

I dont believe that the cams that were in the 1200cc models were to Vmax specs. In '86 when thet introduced the new body style & 1300cc motor I think they decided that they wanted to go the full touring model and made it a bit tamer. The cams were designed for, I would imagine more torque and a smoother driveablity.

I haven't put a set of Vmax cams in a G2...yet, but I would like to do just that. It will obviously drink a bit more fuel, but the more useable horsepower would be nice. Many guys have changed out the rearend to a Vmax or FJR 1300 for a better take off gear ratio. The 5th gear on the G2's is a true overdrive and swapping the gears only raises the 5th gear RPM's about 500. It's great for out of the hole especially if your 2 up and pulling a trailer.

I have had the mk1 and the mk2 1st gen. Out of those bikes the mk1 was the most comfortable and "spry".

I now have had two 2nd gens. It is more comfortable for me because of the seating position and foot position. I gave up on the 1st gen because of the foot under thing.

Love both models.....sorry all us 2nd genners but I gotta agree that the 1 st gen is more spry and sport bikish than the second gen. But I think its all in the design and position the rider sits.

Mark,

I dont believe that the cams that were in the 1200cc models were to Vmax specs. In '86 when thet introduced the new body style & 1300cc motor I think they decided that they wanted to go the full touring model and made it a bit tamer. The cams were designed for, I would imagine more torque and a smoother driveablity.

I haven't put a set of Vmax cams in a G2...yet, but I would like to do just that. It will obviously drink a bit more fuel, but the more useable horsepower would be nice. Many guys have changed out the rearend to a Vmax or FJR 1300 for a better take off gear ratio. The 5th gear on the G2's is a true overdrive and swapping the gears only raises the 5th gear RPM's about 500. It's great for out of the hole especially if your 2 up and pulling a trailer.

Cousindave ( His Handle) has a second gen. He rides 2up and when pulling his trailer says 5th gear is almost useless anywhere near a hill.

Cousindave ( His Handle) has a second gen. He rides 2up and when pulling his trailer says 5th gear is almost useless anywhere near a hill.

He's not alone in that thought, but to be honest many guys dont rev these bikes high enough. I always drop a gear when I want the bike to move, and when I pass I'll drop it to 3rd and put the hammer to it. The Vmax gears in the rear of the G2 will help with that 2 up trailer issue, although I would still drop a gear to climb a hill loaded like what you have mentioned.