IGNORED

Back home after 4410 mile tour

Midrsv

Some of you have been following our ride for the last two weeks. Just wanted to let everyone know we made I made it home late last night. We started out on a two week loop around Kansas and Nebraska (in that we didn't touch either state). We left on the 18th and tavelled to Sikeston MO, on to Eureka Springs AR, through OK and the TX panhandle to Albuquerque NM. From there we went through Durango, Montrose, Telluride, Carbondale, Frisco, Estes Park and then on to the Black Hills of SD. We left Hill City SD Friday morning and made it home to Nicholasville KY last night, 1376 miles. Overall we covered 4410 miles in 14 days.

It was an incredible trip. We saw very little rain, maybe 60 to 90 minutes the entire trip. It rained several evenings after we were settled at our hotel. We had no flat tires or equipment problems. Traffic was not a problem with the exception of a couple of lane closures for paving. It was a bit hot on the way to NM but after that the temperatures were quite comfortable. We travelled desolate highways, high mountain passes, beautiful canyons, and lush grasslands and forests. We saw many windmill farms. We live in a beautiful country as I'm sure you know.

I had posted a few daily reports with links to the day's photos and some of you may have looked at them. I've combined all of those into a single link with all of the photos. If you care to see the photos they are at: www.traynorphoto.com/2010biketrip

I also carried a SPOT unit. I highly recommend that if you have people at home trying to keep track of you. We had family following our track and it helped them know that we were safe and still moving. It entertained my 86 year old father-in-law as he sat by the computer with his road atlas following our progress. The SPOT track can be found at: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=6473

We've began planning this trip about 9 months ago so it will soon be time to plan next years adventure. We're thinking about the Oregon and N. California coastline. But you never know.

Back to work tomorrow.....

Dennis

Wow! Glad that you made it home safely and you're right its hot down here, Next time through NM I hope you give me a call , as for the planned trip through Northern CA and southern Oregon coast, you will love it, I called Oregon home for 40 years and traveled those areas many times.

again Glad you made it home safe.

I really enjoyed reading your reports, and yes, I'm jealous too. How in the world can I rig for that much time off?

Any way, tell us more about SPot. I read what I could on their website but there are still questions unanswered. i really didn't want to join and fill out a profile just to read about the equipment. I don't use a fancy phone, mine sends and receives voice only so if that is what is needed I guess I'm still using APRS tracking.

I really enjoyed reading your reports, and yes, I'm jealous too. How in the world can I rig for that much time off?

Any way, tell us more about SPot. I read what I could on their website but there are still questions unanswered. i really didn't want to join and fill out a profile just to read about the equipment. I don't use a fancy phone, mine sends and receives voice only so if that is what is needed I guess I'm still using APRS tracking.

Bob, go to http://www.findmespot.com/en/ and check out the SPOT Overview tab at the top of the page.

Basically it is a small device that sends a signal to a satellite with your position information. If you have an emergency you can hit the SOS button and it will send a message to a control center that will dispatch emergency response personnel to your location. If it's not a life threatening emergency such as a flat tire or your boat motor conked out in the middle of the lake it can send an message to someone you designate that can call a tow truck in that area and ask that they come to that location and give you a hand. Since it works via satellite it could be helpful if you're out of cell range. Which I was many times on this last trip. There is an optional service that provides tracking data which is the real reason I bought the unit. This way family and friends could follow our location in near real time. Within 10 to 20 minutes.

Dennis

Well you put over 4000 miles on the Mustang seat.

Is it a keeper and would you try the Russell Day Long seat instead?

It's a keeper. While my rear got tired of sitting I never had the tailbone pain.

Dennis