IGNORED

Cricket is for sale.......

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson

All the dealer will give me is $13,700.00 for my bike.....which I think is quite fair.....and if someone wants a Venture......will most likely have 2000 miles on it.....by trade time or under next week.........I can live with it for another week.......Comes with a free Chirp and Lucas Oil Additive in the oil......so if a member wants a good deal......here it is free Chirp and All. :sign20: Kit

All the dealer will give me is $13,700.00 for my bike.....which I think is quite fair.....and if someone wants a Venture......will most likely have 2000 miles on it.....by trade time or under next week.........I can live with it for another week.......Comes with a free Chirp and Lucas Oil Additive in the oil......so if a member wants a good deal......here it is free Chirp and All. :sign20: Kit

Is that what the HD dealer will give you in Trade? I ask because I often wondered if they would do anything if you traded in a RSV.

Guest KitCarson
Is that what the HD dealer will give you in Trade? I ask because I often wondered if they would do anything if you traded in a RSV.
I think it will greatly depend upon the dealer. The one I am dealing with is located in the Capitol City of Columbia South Carolina...lot of people.....lot of bikes........he can sell it........instantly.....a Harley copy at half the price..well almost half........and he is a young guy......smart.....lot of get up and go.........very well versed on bikes.........some dealers may not.....in fact some have an attitude if you do not own a Harley.......so it will depend...as does a lot of things in other subjects. Kit

Guest KitCarson
I think he is giving you an excellent price for it. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that he offered that much. Sounds like you are getting a fair deal.
Hi ya Don: Yes it is a good price on the surface....it is hard to say everything and make everyone understand all about a certain thing....and I am one of the worlds worst on not fully explaining.....he is not coming down on the list price much.....did talk him into a free modulator......but nothing is free!! So there are always variables......no matter how good a deal you get......you always think.....you know....I could have done better........and car dealers........gee........I would as soon be beat with a stick as have to buy a new car! Kit

I STILL think you are getting a great deal. Most Harley dealers are not coming of list price much. Some not at all. Even if the Harley is at list price, I still think you are getting a good trade value.

Maybe the Dealer gets some Dollars back from HD?

I know, here in Germany, there are Programs in which a Dealer can get some Money back from Factory, when they 'convert' a Customer to their Product.

Just a Thought, please don't take the heavy Book to throw on me ...

Guest KitCarson
Maybe the Dealer gets some Dollars back from HD?

I know, here in Germany, there are Programs in which a Dealer can get some Money back from Factory, when they 'convert' a Customer to their Product.

Just a Thought, please don't take the heavy Book to throw on me ...

I like to use a light book first and throw it.....if you are dodge that one.....I Hit you with the heavy one..:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:I need to go.....killing time........off to meet these folks at the steakhouse. Kit

The only real way to find out what your getting in trade is to make a deal to pay cash and get the numbers on paper then throw in the trade then you know what they are really offering. I have had some salesman really throw a fit even get up and storm out of there own offices. I enjoy playing there game and beating them at it.

Kit, sorry Cricket isn't / didn't work out for ya, but hey, a bike (usually) is for fun and enjoyment, and you have to be happy with 'er. Not sure what the new HD is (think I read it in another post), or the price, but I believe around my area of the woods, HD dealers don't take any models in trade except for HD's. So, from my perspective, I think you are lucky you found a dealer who would take it in on trade, and I think he is giving you a great trade in price. Now, just make sure they haven't "marked" the price of the bike - or added accessories way up to recoup part of that trade in :confused24::080402gudl_prv:

I just went through the same thing as you Kit. I had an 1100 V Star that I thought was cool. After riding it awhile I figured out that the bike felt too small for me.

I wanted to trade it in for a Venture and when the dude offered me what I paid for the V Star plus a thousand off the Venture I took it. Sure, I could have done better, but this was convenient, and I wanted to get it done.

Hope your next bike (Harley?) will give you many miles of trouble free riding.

Bob

If they would have come down off the asking price you would have gotten that much less for your trade. The bottom line would be the same regardless. Realistically he probably knocked $1500 or $2000 off of the bike (which there is close to $4000 in mark up on the bigger HD'S) but just reflected that in the trade. So an actual cash value on your bike that they will have into it would be $12200 or $11700 which sounds more like it. But if they showed it to you like that you wouldnt stick around or think you were getting a good deal. Its all a numbers game and I know as I have sold cars and bikes in the past for over 10 years. So the dealer will make a couple grand on the front end with the sale of the HD and will also make some when they sell the trade. Pluse a dealer can mark up the interest rate 3 percentage points over what the bank says and will make backend money on that. So if they give you something one way they will take it away another way. But where th HD dealers make all the cash is on the accessories that they will hose you on over the time you own the bike. It is definetley not black and white.

Paul

ps. As far as the salesman who throws a fit when a trade is thrown in last minute, he wouldnt be working for me long as that happens thousands of times a day at every dealership in the country. If he couldnt handle that in about 45 seconds he isnt much of a salesman and odviously isnt making the dealership or himself any money

Kit, sorry Cricket isn't / didn't work out for ya, but hey, a bike (usually) is for fun and enjoyment, and you have to be happy with 'er. Not sure what the new HD is (think I read it in another post), or the price, but I believe around my area of the woods, HD dealers don't take any models in trade except for HD's. So, from my perspective, I think you are lucky you found a dealer who would take it in on trade, and I think he is giving you a great trade in price. Now, just make sure they haven't "marked" the price of the bike - or added accessories way up to recoup part of that trade in :confused24::080402gudl_prv:

funny you should mention "metric trade- ins, victor!

just last week i got a brochure in the mail, from a LARGE harley dealer in Corpus Christi.

their main "draw", was "We are now taking METRIC trade ins on any new harley!"

just jt

Kit, you are getting a good deal. The wants your business and sounds like he will treat you fairly down the road. I work for a large car dealer in Madison, WI and have sold, managed, and now am on the road buying and selling wholesale. "You did good, buddy."

I hope you keep around this forum...I can't afford to loose any friends and you sure seam like one.

This for Redneck...you are not going to beat a dealer at his own game. He will walk you first.

Kit, let's see some pic's of your new scoot, and does it have the ABS option?:cool10:

Guest KitCarson
funny you should mention "metric trade- ins, victor!

just last week i got a brochure in the mail, from a LARGE harley dealer in Corpus Christi.

their main "draw", was "We are now taking METRIC trade ins on any new harley!"

just jt

Hi: Can Do!! Hoorah.....I bet we can!! Hey I talked to a very smart man today and I know the answer for why Harley will take in a fairly new Venture and give you an honest trade. I and this fellow may be wrong but it is just plain good advertisement. How much can I do with a dollar? Here is a person who has purchased an list price $18,000 motorcycle and now is trading it in on a Harley.......see the Harley is better.......I will set this metric bike in the front of the shop and use it for awhile to make a few more sales. There is always a reason.....if one can figure it out. I paid attention to some people today.....listened.....learned. put my education of the school of hard knocks into play. and that is what I think . Take Care Kit

Guest kozman01

I see someone selling their 07 and after my easy ride today, I'm getting a little ticked at my 07 Midnight Venture. I have had this frickin' chirp between 30 and 50 mph and to take nice slow rides down some country roads to look at the leaves with the wife was completely unbearable today. I'm sure its because I'm aware of the "chirp" from forums like this that make me hyper aware of it, but it was driving me NUTS today. I have around 2200 miles on the bike. I'm going to try switching over to Mobil 1 to see if that quiets it down. I'm not sure if I'll go the new clutch basket route. I've had to take it in for oil/fuel leaking down the left lower cowling(replaced by dealer). I have to take it in for the TSB with the leaking head gasket/improper torque and now, the LOUD "chirp". My wife loves this bike but I'm the one who rides it all the time. I'm seriously considering trading in the bike for a Goldwing, BMW, FJR, or new Concourse 14. If most people have had success with the clutch basket changeover, I might go that route, if not, she might be up for sale. I love the fact it has the 5 year warranty, but that really doesn't matter if I always have to take it back to the dealer so often. I HATE having my bike in their hands because I'm the one usually advising them of some problem that they are "unaware" of. Anyways, just venting because I just got back from the ride and I feel better now. Maybe it's the two beers I've had while on this forum:) Anyways, if I put it up for sale, I'll put it up here first. Best atken care of Venture in Ohio! Have a good night everyone.

Guest KitCarson
I see someone selling their 07 and after my easy ride today, I'm getting a little ticked at my 07 Midnight Venture. I have had this frickin' chirp between 30 and 50 mph and to take nice slow rides down some country roads to look at the leaves with the wife was completely unbearable today. I'm sure its because I'm aware of the "chirp" from forums like this that make me hyper aware of it, but it was driving me NUTS today. I have around 2200 miles on the bike. I'm going to try switching over to Mobil 1 to see if that quiets it down. I'm not sure if I'll go the new clutch basket route. I've had to take it in for oil/fuel leaking down the left lower cowling(replaced by dealer). I have to take it in for the TSB with the leaking head gasket/improper torque and now, the LOUD "chirp". My wife loves this bike but I'm the one who rides it all the time. I'm seriously considering trading in the bike for a Goldwing, BMW, FJR, or new Concourse 14. If most people have had success with the clutch basket changeover, I might go that route, if not, she might be up for sale. I love the fact it has the 5 year warranty, but that really doesn't matter if I always have to take it back to the dealer so often. I HATE having my bike in their hands because I'm the one usually advising them of some problem that they are "unaware" of. Anyways, just venting because I just got back from the ride and I feel better now. Maybe it's the two beers I've had while on this forum:) Anyways, if I put it up for sale, I'll put it up here first. Best atken care of Venture in Ohio! Have a good night everyone.
Well have a couple more for me:sign20: Check back in a couple weeks.......I am not going to sell Cricket......and yes it sounds just like the same situation that I have.......you have said the magic speed numbers. It is annoying as h....and not just because you are aware of it........it is there,,,trust me. The high pitch can be something after a couple hours. Give me a bit of time.......I am working on a few things.......trying to get Yamaha to help us out......and you can help also.......when those beers wear off....put your complaints in writing......send it by registered mail to Yamaha.......Kit

Hey you can change oil to anything you wish.....you can use can put your feet up on the desk and use energy conserving methods.....you can add this...add that.....use syntec blends......mix your own........use corn oil.......mix in some olives........I can assure you it will not help.

That is not a gear whine.......it is the clutch basket......and maybe other things to go with it........Kit

Kozman

Do yourself a favor and do not change the oil type until you get at least 9000 miles on the bike so that the motor has a chance to properly break in.

I know some of the members here will jump on this but take it from a guy that builds high performance motors the mobil 1 will not let the motor wear in the rings properly.

Let the arguments begin.

Jeff

Guest KitCarson
Kozman

Do yourself a favor and do not change the oil type until you get at least 9000 miles on the bike so that the motor has a chance to properly break in.

I know some of the members here will jump on this but take it from a guy that builds high performance motors the mobil 1 will not let the motor wear in the rings properly.

Let the arguments begin.

Jeff

Hey sorry for messing around and telling you to put your feet up and conserve some energy!! And to put some olives in the oil!! Jeff is very correct......any of us that know just a little about motors....know not to use synthetic during the break in........in fact the manufactures used to tell us that.......now they do not......I have had about everything in mine trying to combat the screech.......it does not seem to make a bit of difference.....so this evening ...regular oil will go back in.....I intend to keep the bike......so I will properly take care of the motor as we deal with this screech issue. Kit

Guest kozman01

I agree, I agree on it being too early for the synthetic. I'm just debating letting the dealer tear into a brand new bike just to move that mind-gratting sound to another area of the rpm range. Now don't get me wrong, when I'm flying at 80 by myself on the bike, its smooth as silk, but tooling around enjoying the sights around me is completely irritating. I can have the stereo on at a volume to where I can hear it AND my wife yamming into the headset, but that "whirly-bird" sound just keeps coming through. I traded my Suzuki C90, air-cooled bike for this Venture and had 5 Suzuki Bandits before that C90, NONE of them were as loud as this bike is. I don't know. I have winter approaching me here in OH so I may wait until teh first of the year to get the head gasket changed/retorqued AND a clutch basket. Anyways, I'll listen to you guys on the oil issue. I have no problem waiting a few more thousand miles. Some one suggested above that I write Yamaha and I will do that. I'll post any replies form them. Take it easy gents.

Whether a harley dealer will take a trade in on a metric depends on the dealer. Our dealer here is Albany, Ga. used to run you out of the parking lot if you mentioned trading a metric bike. They have changed and now will take a metric on trade but will only allow you the wholeale value.

..any of us that know just a little about motors....know not to use synthetic during the break in........in fact the manufactures used to tell us that.......now they do not....

They use to say that back when it was so new none of the engineers working for the manufacturer actually knew anything about it. They don't say it anymore because they found out they were WRONG so they just keep their mouths shut.

LOTS of new vehicles come with synthetic oil from the factory now. You can change anytime you want.

Oil is oil. The only difference between modern synthetic and quality dino oil is that synthetic lasts longer and resists heat better. I have changed to synthetic at first or second (usually first) oil change on 8 of my last 10 vehicles, the other two came from the factory with synthetic. NEVER had an oil related problem.

In other words, Koz, switch to synth, I switched to Mobil 1 motorcycle 20-50 at 600 miles on my 07 Venture (because it started to chirp) and the chirp became almost non existant and is still that way at over 6000 miles.

I had an 02 Ultra, low miles and in great shape and I didn't like it at all. Our Harley dealer offered me $4200 dollars less trade-in that the local yamaha dealer so that's how I got the RSV and boy am I glad I did. The Harley dealers don't even like their own bikes around here!!!

Eddie--Central KY.