IGNORED

Time for new tires (not debating brands)

Jethroish

Well, after 19,000 miles, I decided it is time to replace the Dunlop E3s. I was hoping to get another 1000 miles out of them. I guess that is a macho thing. But it would be great to say that I got 20k miles on a set of MC tires.

Placed the order and should have the new tires before the weekend. They had the front E3 in stock but had to get ther rear from manufacturer.

Guess that means I'll get a few more miles on this set.

Rear still has some life on it, but the front is into the wear bars.

New tires, grease slpines,shaft & hub, new final oil, stearing head bearing service. I got some work to do.

Guest tx2sturgis

When those tires come in, would you take just a second and look at the date codes?

We've been seeing a LOT of 3707 date codes on new E3 tires.

Thanks!

I just got a set from cyclegear. Front is 0710rear is 2510 I think. Both are 2010 for sure. I had em mounted today. Gonna put them back on tomorrow. Cant wait to take her for a ride to break em in. I think I will have to replace the muffler hanger bolts. One is tore up bad, the other is on its way. Clamps are all rusted too.... Hope I can get em tight enough.

I just got a set from cyclegear. Front is 0710rear is 2510 I think. Both are 2010 for sure. I had em mounted today. Gonna put them back on tomorrow. Cant wait to take her for a ride to break em in. I think I will have to replace the muffler hanger bolts. One is tore up bad, the other is on its way. Clamps are all rusted too.... Hope I can get em tight enough.

I am jealous. I just had some put on a few weeks ago, and as stated earlier in this thread, they are both 07ish. After my complaints to the dealer, they called and checked with their supplier, and the supplier said of the few E3s [in that size] they had left, they were all sometime in 07. Oh well.

How did you get 19,000 out of those tires?

I keep and eye on the pressure. Never run too low or too high. I do not "burn out" or do any jack rabbit take offs from light or stops. Most riding (75%) is 1 up with little weight in the bags or trunk. I don't ride gravel. Rarely am I on grooved interstate and even less rare am I on tarred chipstone.

I run 35psi in rear suspension and 3 to 4 psi in the front.

Rear tire is not to the wear bars but front is. I would rather just change them both instead of doing one now and the other in a month or 2.

These were put on the bike July 1, 2008 at 13,380 miles. I now have 32,240 miles. So techically, I do not yet have 19,000, but will before they get changed.

Thay are on the bike....I like em:cool10: Less vibration, better handling. Feels like a nice tire. I guess I have 40 or 50 miles on them so far. The bike likes em better too. More precise steering with less input. Leans over easier also.

When those tires come in, would you take just a second and look at the date codes?

We've been seeing a LOT of 3707 date codes on new E3 tires.

Thanks!

Got the tires. Front tire is 4709 manufacture. The rear however is 3607. Will it do me any good to gripe, complain, beech, etc? Probably not. The rear on the bike that has 19,000 miles is 3707 and I cannot complain about the life I got out of it.

By the time it reaches 5 years old, it will be getting replaced again anyhow.

I have been VERY happy with the E3s.

What are the chances of getting a newer tire even if they agree to an exchange.

Maybe they will let me rummage through the dist. warehouse to select my own tire. After all, I can see the dist. warehouse from work. It's a mere 1.5 miles away.

Which poses the next question: Why did it take 3 days shipping????

I got it wrong on the new tires. It is the front tire that is 3607 manufacter date.

I talked with Chad at Dunlop MC tires. Of course he said exactly what I knew he would. "You're fine. Just check it over for any cracks, but it will be fine. "

Motorcycle Superstore said they would exchange it, but could not gaurantee that I would get a newer tire.

As it is, The E3s have a 6 year warranty from date of manufacter. So I have already lost 3 years, but if my riding continues as it has, I will be replacing this tire in 2 years

Edited by Jethroish

We only got a little over 10,000 miles out of our E-3 rear tire; we're not impressed with their mileage. So far, Michelin Commander's have given us the best mileage at just over 14,000 miles for the rear tire. Trying an Avon Venom today... We'll see how long the Venom lasts for us.:Venture:

We only got a little over 10,000 miles out of our E-3 rear tire; we're not impressed with their mileage. So far, Michelin Commander's have given us the best mileage at just over 14,000 miles for the rear tire. Trying an Avon Venom today... We'll see how long the Venom lasts for us.:Venture:

Just an observation; In looking into a new rear tire for my RSV I was leaning toward the Michelin Commander, but was surprised to find it had the lowest load rating compared to the E3 and the Continental Milestone. The Milestone had the highest with 80H.