IGNORED

Dead Clutch, second time.. argh

Well I did it again, and this time its a deader.. I went on another Advanced rider's course this evening and once again, I cooked my clutch on the 2006 RSV, so badly that there absolutely nil clutch effect when the clutch lever is released out completely.. I can sit there in first gear, clutch fully out and nothing happening.. in any gear for that matter. wow.

This past spring, the same thing happened, and the clutch plates were cooked. I had since replaced the whole thing with new steels and friction plates and everything was fine until tonight. I was careful not to over rev the engine, gentle on the controls etc, and even had a fresh oil change yesterday (dino oil).. but during one of the exercises, the clutch let go completely causing me to lose torque to the rear wheel and dropping the bike (no big deal).. I picked it up, did a run on the side of the course and realized the clutch was slipping completely.. oh oh.. I pulled the bike over and shut it down.. I know I did not hear the rad fan running before shutting it down. When we started a new exercise, I then discovered I could not pull away at all in first or any gear.. oh oh.. oh no.

I let the bike cool down for an hour. I tried it again but no dice. I had no clutch what so ever.

Now I know there is something not right with the clutch system on the bike causing this premature and unwarranted clutch failures. I'm not over revving the engine, not abusing the clutch. And I practice slow riding a lot on the bike but never had any issues until tonight, but tonight it's more sustained than my usual practice periods.

Here's what I did notice: The Clutch reservoir is lower than it was when I started. I do not recall ever hearing the radiator fan ever coming on.. I mention this because the other liquid cooled bikes on the course had their fans humming loudly.. the borrowed bike (1500 nomad) is liquid cooled and its fan roared on several times.. But I do not remember hearing mine to be honest..

So here's what I am wondering.. is it possible I cooked the engine oil and thus the clutch if the bike wasn't being properly cooled when the fan wasn't coming on? Is it possible the master cylinder is pooched causing an issue to prematurely burn out the clutch plates?

I have the PCW (sp) heavy duty clutch spring installed and had taken out the half disks and installed a full disk as per their instructions. I had not experience any issues at all this summer on the bike's clutch system until tonight (well over 15,000 miles this summer already)

So tomorrow morning the bike is being dropped off at a local shop.. I'll be asking them to change out the clutch master cylinder kit as the current one shows signs of abuse and deterioration etc, perhaps its allowing air to enter the system or clutch fluid to leak out.. I'll get them to flush out the fluid as well. I will be asking them to check the rad cooling system, perhaps there is something amiss causing the bike to overheat, cooking the oil, killing the clutch..

Its not me abusing the hell out of the clutch that is killing it, but something is not right with the bike that when abused, causes a premature failure of the clutch system..

When the smoke clears, I'll let you know what was discovered, if anything, as to what caused all this..

Blargh!!!

Been there done that Seaking! I took the advance course a couple years back and on the 40 mile drive home I noticed the clutch was slipping. $160 bucks later I had a new clutch in the bike. Fast forward a year to a star rally in reno where I decided to try the rodeo. After running 5 circuts in the rodeo the old familar slip came back. This time i decided to learn to do it myself and put a pcw kit in. I don't think there is anything wrong with the clutches in these bikes since I have friends with 70k miles on the same clutch. I have to believe that the Venture is just a fat girl thats not designed to be a ballerina. It wont stop me from dancing with her but the date will be a little cheaper since I can change the clutch myself.

Well, what's wrong with putting a Spare Set of Clutch Leathers in the Saddle Bag and change it right on the Spot ?

On a 1Gen Max with rear Sets, i'll do it in under fifteen Minutes ....

Tell the Dealer they shall put the new Gasket on the Cover and use a Silicone on the Engine Side. Saves the Gasket in 98 out of a hundred Times. Or you learn how to do it yourself right now.

Well, what's wrong with putting a Spare Set of Clutch Leathers in the Saddle Bag and change it right on the Spot ?

On a 1Gen Max with rear Sets, i'll do it in under fifteen Minutes ....

Tell the Dealer they shall put the new Gasket on the Cover and use a Silicone on the Engine Side. Saves the Gasket in 98 out of a hundred Times. Or you learn how to do it yourself right now.

No idea what a clutch 'leather' is?

I can do my own clutch plates, too easy.. however, they are changing the guts of the master cylinder which I'm not inclined to do. Clutch cover gaskets aren't locally available, still takes a week to order them in.. I could use RTV gasket but it's not as clean as a proper gasket ya know?

Anyway, I should hope to hear some news by monday.. no big worries, I have to work all weekend anyway so I'm not missing any riding, but I'm hoping to find out what the root cause of this problem is..

I'll let you know what transpires..

Clutch Leather means Friction Plates

Changing out the Seals in the Master may be a good Idea, because Yammi says replacing those every two Years. However, it won't solve your Problem. You're abusing the Clutch and therefore it will start burning down like the last one you showed us. Even a Lock-Up Clutch won't help you in Way, because you're riding in the Friction Zone a Lot and this burns down the Friction Plates. Period.

Seriously and it isn't meant in any offending Way. What you're doing with the Clutch is worse than doing constant Burn Outs without knowing how to do them right. If you can replace the Clutch Plates on your own, why bring it to the Dealer ? I'd bet some Money that there's nothing wrong with the Bike. The only Thing "wrong" is the Way you use it. As i said, if i'd be you, i'd put a Spare Set pre-soaked Friction Plates in the Side Bag, when the Clutch starts to fail, i'd break out the Tools and the new Parts and just replace it where you're st®anding. There's nothing to cry or whine about, just get it done and be a happy Camper again.

I recently did the Advanced Rider Course with no clutch issues, however I am running the Barnett conversion kit and carbon fiber discs in there since 2004. I also dont feel our bikes lend themselves well to the "Friction Zone" methods. As far as gaskets go, I make my own. I bought a sheet of rubber impregated gasket material for 4 bucks and since have made about 6 different gaskets which would have cost me well over 40 bucks if purchased from Yamaha.

One more thing: you might consider buying a bottle of DOT 5.1 brake fluid for the next clutch fluid change since it has a higher boiling point then DOT4. (not to be confused with "5" fluid)