IGNORED

83 stalls when placed in 1st gear

Mike Woodman

Ive had my 83 Venture Royale for 6 wks or so. Today after sitting for maybe 5 days, I started out for a ride, it died at 20 mph. It would start in neutral but would die as soon as I put it in 1st. After scratching my head for awhile I tried again and it seemed OK. I rode for an hr. or so, and stopped at the store. When I went to leave the same thing happened. This time I started out in 2nd, and when I got home it seemed to be fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Next time it happens see if it stalls ONLY in first...you said you could start in 2nd

I"m thinking it could be your sidestand switch ...which kills the bike if the sidestand is down (or thinks it is) when in any gear.

An intermittant problem could cause you to try to dig further than neccessary...but I'd start with that.

Now I should preface that by saying I'm a newbie myself...but I'm sure someone else with more experience will offer their opinion also!

Ive had my 83 Venture Royale for 6 wks or so. Today after sitting for maybe 5 days, I started out for a ride, it died at 20 mph. It would start in neutral but would die as soon as I put it in 1st. After scratching my head for awhile I tried again and it seemed OK. I rode for an hr. or so, and stopped at the store. When I went to leave the same thing happened. This time I started out in 2nd, and when I got home it seemed to be fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you saying that it stalled when going into 1st, but not when going into 2nd?

Reason I am asking is the neutral circuit should react the same when going into 1st or 2nd.

Does the shift light properly indicate each gear as you shift through gears.

Gary

You might need to bleed the Hydralic Clutch system.

Replace the fluid with Synthectic Brake fluid. Bleed the system same way as you would bleed hydralic brakes. Open the Resovoiur, and Clean out any dirt, make sure the Two small holes in bottom of Resovoiur are Clear.

The larger hole is easy to see, the second one is so small its almost Invisable, but it must be clear.

See the Maintenance Manuel on this web site, for further information. Go to the Mainetnance section, and you will find the entire Maintenance Manual, if you do not have one. Print out what you need from there.

I thought about the kickstand switch but the warning lite wasn't on. When I started off in 2nd it may have startd off in first, if I tried as it did before (after several tries).It doesn't have a shift indicator unless it's just not working. Being as old as it is I was hoping it was less sophisticated, (AKA prone to failure). I'll see if I can find the online manual that was mentioned. That alone would be worth the membership fee. Thanks for the responses.

an '83 doesn't have a gear indicator. At least mine doesn't!

I have an 83 and the dash indicator for the sidestand shows the icon when it goes thru the startup sequnce....but doesn't actually show anything when the sidestand is down.

Someone here told me there is actually 2 circuits to the side stand switch...maybe that's why?????

But....you could have an intermittant switch failure, causing the stall??? Maybe the internal spring?

Which picture below does your dash look like.

You said in first post you had a Royale, which I thought had the gear indicator.

If it is like the first picture, it only has a neutral indicator.

If it is like the second picture, the gear indicator should be in lower left corner of the cmu display.

If does not have a gear indicator, starts in neutral, and takes off in second, it is unlikely that the problem is in neutral circuit.

If it does have a gear indicator, possibly there is a problem with the gear indicator wiring.

The symptoms you first described, does the bike lurch when you put it in 1st, or suddenly die? Reason for asking this is to determine if clutch dragging is killing engine, though I would think that would be more likely in second. Just trying to clarify symptoms.

Gary

Edited by dingy
added better picture of royale dash

If it is like the second picture, which does not have the cmu module in it, the gear indicator should be in lower left corner of the cmu display.

If it is like the second picture, it only has a nuetral indicator.

Gary

Gary, the first pic is the 83 dash (with mods above volt gauge), without the gear indicator, Neutral light only & also looks like there is a typo above.

It should be If it is like the first picture, it only has a nuetral indicator.

:2cents:

Gary, the first pic is the 83 dash (with mods above volt gauge), without the gear indicator, Neutral light only & also looks like there is a typo above.

It should be If it is like the first picture, it only has a nuetral indicator.

:2cents:

Fixed It.

:sign02:

Gary

• 3 weeks later...