I am really starting to get frustrated...perhaps I should have just bought a new bike instead of thinking it would be fun to wrench on this one! About ready to call off the motorcycle trip with the wife this weekend and take the car instead.

:cry:

Anyways, enough of my whining.

My speedo was working fine but during the past week when I had both wheels off to replace the driveshaft oil seal and lube all the splines I decided to grease the speedo cable.

No problem right? So I thought. I was just taking a test drive and, wham...speedo started flickering and then dropped to zero. Odometer no longer incrementing and blinkers not cancelling.

I pulled over and pulled the cable out, looked just like it did the first time I pulled it out...long coil cable thing with a square head on the end. I'm assuming that means it isn't broken. Did I perhaps not get it seated all the way before, did I break something else? The speedo gear is in the slot of the front fork so I assume that is OK. I am wondering if I didn't route the cable properly around the forks as there is some rub on the rubber of the outer cable. I can post any pictures needed...just looking for some help...AGAIN!

Edited by tpalshadow
terminology

I am really starting to get frustrated...perhaps I should have just bought a new bike instead of thinking it would be fun to wrench on this one! About ready to call off the motorcycle trip with the wife this weekend and take the car instead.

:cry:

Anyways, enough of my whining.

My speedo was working fine but during the past week when I had both wheels off to replace the driveshaft oil seal and lube all the splines I decided to grease the speedo cable.

No problem right? So I thought. I was just taking a test drive and, wham...speedo started flickering and then dropped to zero. Odometer no longer incrementing and blinkers not cancelling.

I pulled over and pulled the cable out, looked just like it did the first time I pulled it out...long coil cable thing with a square head on the end. I'm assuming that means it isn't broken. Did I perhaps not get it seated all the way before, did I break something else? The speedo gear is in the slot of the front fork so I assume that is OK. I am wondering if I didn't route the cable properly around the forks as there is some rub on the rubber of the outer cable. I can post any pictures needed...just looking for some help...AGAIN!

Did you pull the cable out from the top or the bottom?

Was there a square head on just one end or both ends?

So just take the headlight out and try to screw it in?

Yes, you made need to take two bolts out of instrument cluster mount and raise cluster up, in order to get your hand in there. This requires windshield to be removed.

Gary

What are the odds two people would be working on 2 bikes both 89 VR and messing with the speedo cable? I just walked in the house from putting mine back together, just doing maint on mine, thought I was hearing a ticking from the speedo! Once you get the windshield off take the 2 phillips screws that are the easiest to reach all the way out, be carefull not to drop, and only loosen the 2 that you just cant seem to get to farther back, 45% screwdriver is the answer. Slide the black trim staight back toward the seat and off, I think there were 4 nuts and washers holding the cluster in, again I took off the easy ones, dont drop!!! :bang head:the other 2 I took off and did not put back on. Now you can lift the cluster and get to the cable. and now would be the time to do the maint while you are in there! Good luck. ps remember to wipe the fingerprint from the inside of the shield before you put it back on:080402gudl_prv:

First let me thank everyone for reading and trying to help me out. Also I apologize if my terminology isn't accurate. This is the first motorcycle I've owned where I have to work on things and it is really frustrating me right now!

OK, just took the headlight, windshield and dash out (far enough to reach) and unscrewed the speedo cable.

- shot some oil up the speedo where it goes into the dash

- the actual speedo cable sticks out almost exactly 1" from the end of the speedo outer cable when screwed in at the bottom and not the top

test ride, no speedo.

SO...

+ before this whole failure the speedo would fluctuate until I hit 25 mph then steady out and behave normally

+ is the 1" that it sticks out enough to engage what it needs to in the dash?

+ is it possible I broke something in the speedo gear next to the front wheel when I was putting it back on the other day?

+ is there a way to remove the speedo cable from the bottom gear by the weel? When I unscrew the outer cable to get to the actual cable, I can't figure out how to pull it out of the gear. do I just need to pull REALLY hard?

Thanks again for everyone taking the time to help me out. I suppose I can use the GPS for speed on our trip but would really like to figure something better out.

Edited by tpalshadow
Apparently I cannot spell.

+ is there a way to remove the speedo cable from the bottom gear by the weel? When I unscrew the outer cable to get to the actual cable, I can't figure out how to pull it out of the gear. do I just need to pull REALLY hard?

Thanks again for everyone taking the time to help me out. I suppose I can use the GPS for speed on our trip but would really like to figure something better out.

The cable should pull out of the bottom gear, just like the top does out of the head.

When you turn the front wheel does the cable turn?

Gary

The cable should pull out of the bottom gear, just like the top does out of the head.

Gary, thanks for all the help. I did get the cable to pull out from the bottom. When I did I noticed that the top and bottom of the cable look nothing alike are they supposed to be identical? If so I guess my cable is broke, and the end must be stuck in the actual speedo? If I recall I measured it 41 3/4" but I would have to go back to verify.

The picture with the two ends of the cable on the left is what was in the wheel portion, the right goes up the cable.

When you turn the front wheel does the cable turn?

It does, but it goes on off on off. Is it supposed to spin constantly? It also will only spin if I push it in and kind of angle the end just right. Sometimes I had to start it spinning to get it to spin. Also the last two pictures show that the end can sit in the bottom or be forced in farther, not sure if you'll be able to see it on here.

Cable should spin at a steady rate, dependent on wheel speed.

I measured a speedo inner cable and it is 41 3/4" long

I am not sure what is sticking out of the lower speedo gear. Haven't seen that protrusion on the bikes I have had. It might be the end of the outer cable sheath.

Is the cable squared on each end?

I attached a couple of pictures, one of each end of the cable, for reference.

Gary

I have had them come off the speedo twice on me. If the cable is broke, NAPA has a universal cable that works just fine. You just cut it to fit and crimp on the end. I had to grind down one end because it was a tad to big in diameter. It has been working now for 20,000 miles and was alot cheaper than the one from Yamaha.

Cable should spin at a steady rate, dependent on wheel speed.

I measured a speedo inner cable and it is 41 3/4" long

I am not sure what is sticking out of the lower speedo gear. Haven't seen that protrusion on the bikes I have had. It might be the end of the outer cable sheath.

Is the cable squared on each end?

I attached a couple of pictures, one of each end of the cable, for reference.

Gary

OK, I am thinking that the problem might lie in the speedo gear down by the wheel since it isn't spinning regularly or at a steady pace. The lower cable end looks like yours with a metal square bit on the end. The upper is squared off and it does measure 41 3/4" so I don't think it is the cable.

So....now I need to probably replace the lower speedo gear unit. Anyone have one laying around they want to get rid of...preferably on the cheaper side of things?

Thanks for ALL the help, I think we have it narrowed down. I guess I'll just leave the inner speedo cable out for the trip to Duluth this weekend and use the GPS speed. Not ideal but manageable.

Thanks again!

I think I have the gear head laying around somewhere.

I'll have to go on a walkabout to find it.

Gary

Any luck? Just got back from our trip to Duluth. It was great but halfway through my wife accidentally dropped the GPS and that went bye-bye. Finished the trip just using the tach and traffic to estimate speed. Made it safely with no tickets!

Any luck? Just got back from our trip to Duluth. It was great but halfway through my wife accidentally dropped the GPS and that went bye-bye. Finished the trip just using the tach and traffic to estimate speed. Made it safely with no tickets!

I found it.

Shipping would be $5.00 priority

Gary

I know that women like to tell their man where to go, but to throw away the GPS??????? :duck:

It is on its way to you.

USPS tracking # 9101785091401605745058

I also found the drive plate for the gear head. It goes behind the seal in the front wheel. Sent it in case yours got messed up.

Gary

It is on its way to you.

USPS tracking # 9101785091401605745058

I also found the drive plate for the gear head. It goes behind the seal in the front wheel. Sent it in case yours got messed up.

Gary

Huge thank you! Turns out it was the tabs on the drive plate for the gear head that were sheared off. Pulled that out and replaced with the one you sent me and...success. No more guessing speed based on gear!

Again, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:big-grin-emoticon:

A