IGNORED

HELP!!!! Starter relay buzzing.

Had a wire come off the stable horn. Touched the pipe and caused a short. It melted some plastic off the wiring in the fairing. I've gone through and re-taped, replaced, and recovered the wiring. Everything comes on when you turn on the ignition. But when you press the starter button the Starter Relay Assembly buzzes and thats all. What have I messed up or did the short cause the relay to go bad? I checked all the fuses behind the right side lower cover. Checked the ones under the left side cover below the seat. Checked both fuses that are on the Starter relay assembly. What am I missing? Part number 37 is what is buzzing.

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/YAM/2/02/0025/0053.Gif

Below is a link to a PDF of the starting circuits on an RSV.

Check all battery & ground connections.

Check the ignition fuse and verify that it is tight in holder.

I know there has been problems with the ignition switch on the RSV's.

You could try a temporary bypass around the ignition switch. Jumper from the Main 30 amp fuse to the ignition fuse. Try starting then.

If not successful, then there is a 4 wire connection on/ or near the starter solenoid. Open this connection, and apply positive & negative battery jumpers to the connector on the starter solenoid terminals that have the Blue & Red w/White tracer mating to them. Polarity does not matter. This will energize starter solenoid (if good) & crank engine. Make sure bike is in neutral, as this will by pass all safety checks. If motor cranks, solenoid is good. Reconnect wire connection, after inspecting for any burning.

If still not cranking, then engine start switch may need cleaned.

Gary

Edited by dingy
Clarified jumpers statement

I'll give that a try tomorrow. As I was saying, I may have " screwed the Pooch".:confused07:

When I turn on the ignition every thing comes on, lights radio, etc. But when I hit the start button the starter relay that is mounted on the side of the battery box buzzes or more like a really fast clicking. You can put your hand on it and fell it buzz or click. Could I have caused the starter relay to go bad by the short I caused from the horn? Have never had any problem with the ignition switch. The ignition was off when the the short happen. That what caught me off guard and didn't realize it was shorting out till I saw some smoke come out of the faring. Hope I've got all the burnt wire fixed. Only a couple in the faring and they looked like they were for lighting.

Check your voltage while it's trying to crank. The short may have drained the battery or if the battery was older, caused it to crap out.

Didn't think about the battery might have got drained. I'm going to go and put it a slow charge just in case. The battery itself is only 2 weeks old and had been starting perfectly till this happened. Still when I try and hit the start button the lights don't dim any more than normal. Which is very little.:confused:

Still when I try and hit the start button the lights don't dim any more than normal. Which is very little.:confused:

Not 100% about RSV but I believe headlight for sure, and probably dash lights should go out with starter switch is pressed-by design. If they are not, and the fact your start relay is cycling(buzzing), Then I would very highly suspect your starter button is having flakey contacts. Don't fret-is can be cleaned as DINGY suggested above.

Guest tx2sturgis
.....didn't realize it was shorting out till I saw some smoke come out of the faring.....

Uh oh...everyone knows that motorcycles, just like any electronic gadget, run on smoke. And you let it all out. Might as well sell it cheap. I can be there in 2 hours if the price is right.

:cool10:

Not 100% about RSV but I believe headlight for sure, and probably dash lights should go out with starter switch is pressed-by design. If they are not, and the fact your start relay is cycling(buzzing), Then I would very highly suspect your starter button is having flakey contacts. Don't fret-is can be cleaned as DINGY suggested above.

RSV's do not have headlight cutout circuit like 1st gens do.

:crying:

Gary

Could the Starter Relay Assembly (#37) have gone bad due to the short? Trying to decided if I need to order another relay.

Had a wire come off the stable horn. Touched the pipe and caused a short. It melted some plastic off the wiring in the fairing. I've gone through and re-taped, replaced, and recovered the wiring. Everything comes on when you turn on the ignition. But when you press the starter button the Starter Relay Assembly buzzes and thats all. What have I messed up or did the short cause the relay to go bad? I checked all the fuses behind the right side lower cover. Checked the ones under the left side cover below the seat. Checked both fuses that are on the Starter relay assembly. What am I missing? Part number 37 is what is buzzing.

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/YAM/2/02/0025/0053.Gif

I'll give that a try tomorrow. As I was saying, I may have " screwed the Pooch".:confused07:

When I turn on the ignition every thing comes on, lights radio, etc. But when I hit the start button the starter relay that is mounted on the side of the battery box buzzes or more like a really fast clicking. You can put your hand on it and fell it buzz or click. Could I have caused the starter relay to go bad by the short I caused from the horn? Have never had any problem with the ignition switch. The ignition was off when the the short happen. That what caught me off guard and didn't realize it was shorting out till I saw some smoke come out of the faring. Hope I've got all the burnt wire fixed. Only a couple in the faring and they looked like they were for lighting.

I would look closely at your horn wiring. The horn should not have been hot with the ignition off.

If you let out some of the magic blue smoke that makes all electronics work, you will have to look closely at all of the circuits in the wire bundle. it is common for one overheating wire to melt insulation on adjacent wires and cause other problems. Those other problems may not show up right away but down the road as the weakened wire insulation breaks down.

As to your immediate issue with the relay, I'll leave that to the 2nd gen experts.

Disconnect the relay, apply 12 volts across the coil, and see if it clicks or buzzes. It's possible that you arced the contacts and damaged them, but not very likely.

Test the plug at the positive side of the coil, and look for 12 volts. Test the negative side for good continuity to ground. Then, check the 12 volt switched source(the voltage that the relay allows to continue on to the starter), and see if you have a good 12 volts there. You could jumper across the switched contacts in the plug, to see if the starter will engage without the relay.

Guest tx2sturgis

Obber, when you get it all sorted out, be sure to properly secure that wire and connector, with zip ties, or some other method to keep if from dropping off again. Next, insulate the connector or wire so that if it DOES come off, it wont short on anything. And finally, FUSE that dang hot lead, dude!

A 25 cent fuse could have prevented all of this.

:doh:

Obber, when you get it all sorted out, be sure to properly secure that wire and connector, with zip ties, or some other method to keep if from dropping off again. Next, insulate the connector or wire so that if it DOES come off, it wont short on anything. And finally, FUSE that dang hot lead, dude!

A 25 cent fuse could have prevented all of this.

:doh:

That's why it caught me off guard. It does have a in line fuse. Don't know why it didn't blow the fuse. Ordered the relay from Ron Ayers Yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates?

Not yet. Wife and I went to Granbury last week to visit my Daughter and grandkids. Then had to go back to work when we got back. I'm off tomorrow. Got the solenoid. Try it tomorrow after I mow the yard. Cross your fingers.:fingers-crossed-emo

OK! I think I dodged a bullet! :duck:

Got all the wiring fixed and re-wrapped. Got the new starter relay installed. Hooked up the battery. Turned on the key and everything came on, and heard the electric fuel pump come on. Hit the start button and :sign woo hoo: it started. :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Now just to put the fairing back together with out screwing up any thing else.

The motorcycle gods were looking out for me on this one.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Thanks for everyones input.

:ice_thy-vi101212101