IGNORED

oil analysis on delo 400 at 5000 miles

footsie

I am not planning on doing this on a reg basis, just did it to see how the delo holds up in the RSV

Delo 400 15/40 at 5140 miles, I pulled a sample and then changed oil.

I have a buddy at a lab, so I did not have to pay for this.

Anyway the results, there were no abnormal wear patterns indicated.

and the oil was shown to be at 40%. He told me I could extend the oil changes to 7500 miles, however I am going to continue to change at 5000 miles.

This was just for info, oil analysis can show abnormal and contamination, but would be too expensive just to try to extend oil changes on a bike, but it does indicate to me that the RSV should do well with delo or rotella with 5000 mile change and good filters.

When I get the hard copy I will scan it and post it.

Gregg

you will find that any diesel oil will run 10,000 miles and more and still be good to go( when you do an oil analysis) the only problem is the filters on cars and bikes are not made for this type of service. I personally used delvac 15-40 for 10 years and in trucks( many went 1,000,000 and at tear down still looked good) and school buses all stop and go shot runs and my personal vehicles. it does not break down till around 25,000- 30,000 miles.

It is all in the additive package in the oils.

Footsie, replace that Fram filter with another brand...FAST! A while ago someone cut in half a number of filters and the Fram was one of the worst constructed filters in the group. From what I remembered of the pics then the Fram was made of what looked like glued together pieces of cardboard. The Wal-Mart Super-Tec was among one of the better ones at half the price. In fact I have used the ST filter for the last 6 years.

Not going to debate the Fram filter...just repeating what was reported at that time. I used the Fram until I saw those pics. :smile5:

I am not planning on doing this on a reg basis, just did it to see how the delo holds up in the RSV

Delo 400 15/40 at 5140 miles, I pulled a sample and then changed oil.

I have a buddy at a lab, so I did not have to pay for this.

Anyway the results, there were no abnormal wear patterns indicated.

and the oil was shown to be at 40%. He told me I could extend the oil changes to 7500 miles, however I am going to continue to change at 5000 miles.

This was just for info, oil analysis can show abnormal and contamination, but would be too expensive just to try to extend oil changes on a bike, but it does indicate to me that the RSV should do well with delo or rotella with 5000 mile change and good filters.

When I get the hard copy I will scan it and post it.

Gregg

I've always changed mine at double recommended with synthetic, on all my cars and bikes since the 80s, without any issues.

Footsie, replace that Fram filter with another brand...FAST! A while ago someone cut in half a number of filters and the Fram was one of the worst constructed filters in the group. From what I remembered of the pics then the Fram was made of what looked like glued together pieces of cardboard. The Wal-Mart Super-Tec was among one of the better ones at half the price. In fact I have used the ST filter for the last 6 years.

Not going to debate the Fram filter...just repeating what was reported at that time. I used the Fram until I saw those pics. :smile5:

Fram builds walmarts filters, but I have read that the tec was a very good filter, and if you read the test data on the tec oil, its good too. don't know for a fact but have been told it is from chevron.

thanks again

Gregg

Fram builds walmarts filters, but I have read that the tec was a very good filter, and if you read the test data on the tec oil, its good too. don't know for a fact but have been told it is from chevron.

thanks again

Gregg

fram does'nt make walmart filters. champion does.

thanks again

Gregg

Years ago, there were only a few oil filter manufacturers. Don't know if that is still the case, but I distictly remember Dana Corp (Wix), Clarcor (Baldwin, Puralator) and Allied Signal (Fram).

On Monday the filters might be orange and stamped FRAM, on Tuesday they my be green and stamped Quaker State.

It is the same with oils. Walmart SuperTech oil is bottled by Quaker State in a Wally World bottle. I was told at my local O'Reilly's that their oil is Valvoline.

Years ago, there were only a few oil filter manufacturers. Don't know if that is still the case, but I distictly remember Dana Corp (Wix), Clarcor (Baldwin, Puralator) and Allied Signal (Fram).

On Monday the filters might be orange and stamped FRAM, on Tuesday they my be green and stamped Quaker State.

It is the same with oils. Walmart SuperTech oil is bottled by Quaker State in a Wally World bottle. I was told at my local O'Reilly's that their oil is Valvoline.

When I worked at Wallie world the safety data sheets stated super tech was made by penzoil. And our O'Reilly guy states their oil is made by warren oil? go figure.. who knows??

And as for Fram filters...No thank you I seen to many of their filter element come apart. I'll stay with the Super tech filter so far so good.

When I worked at Wallie world the safety data sheets stated super tech was made by penzoil. And our O'Reilly guy states their oil is made by warren oil? go figure.. who knows??

Maybe it depends on area of the country. I was in Okla when the tire & Lube mngr at Wally World told me their oil was QS. I also had an oil analysis tech tell me the same.

I quit using Fram filters when I got my diesel truck and read the horror stories about Fram filters coming apart on the Dodge cummins engines. Fram denies any problem ever existed, but the filter part number for that application got an "A" designation.

I think I go back to manufactors filters, or the versa filters.

I always used honda filters on the valkyrie and magna, used the same one on the venture until the last case I bought in daytona ran out.

I will buy a case at biketoberfest, you can get a good deal on them then.

Gregg