IGNORED

This thing is HOT!!!

Guest RichG

Guest RichG

I have noticed that when I stop at a light or a traffic jam, there is a tremendous amount of heat coming at my legs and drifting up. When I got back to the garage I left it running and looked around for the source. It seems that most of the heat comes from the 1.5 inches of exposed exhaust pipe from the back two cylinders.

Does any one make a shield for this space?

Rich

I have noticed that when I stop at a light or a traffic jam, there is a tremendous amount of heat coming at my legs and drifting up. When I got back to the garage I left it running and looked around for the source. It seems that most of the heat comes from the 1.5 inches of exposed exhaust pipe from the back two cylinders.

Rich

You think the RSV is HOT, have you ridden any of the large air cooled v-twins, lately??? :yikes:

Guest RichG
I've haven't noticed any heat coming from mine from that area, gets alittle warm by my ankles...curious if your engine fan is working.

Mine gets major warm, esp higher. I'll have to watch for the fan the next time I ride.

Guest oldroadstar

Mine does the samething especially in the hot months. Keep in mind your legs, especially the left one, is all but touching the top of the left rear cylinder and very close to the exhaust pipe:scorched:

Guest RichG
Mine does the samething especially in the hot months. Keep in mind your legs, especially the left one, is all but touching the top of the left rear cylinder and very close to the exhaust pipe:scorched:

It's running close to 100 degrees here. I know it's over 100 on the hiway. I rode it once in shorts. Jumped on it for a short trip. I don't think I'll be able to have kids anymore.

I guess more shielding is not on the market.

Just have to keep moving.

Rich

This is why you should be wearing trousers when riding any bike ;) I don't notice the heat while riding up here but when we were in TX last month, man.. wow I didn't realize until then how much heat this bike does put out.. wow

When you were in Texas, you should have let some of know.

We would have had a Bar B Que

Thanks M8... I did advertise the fact that I was coming down in May, getting information for the trip.. Hooked up with Goose in Dallas.. Perhaps we can hook up next time I'm down there..

Cheers =)

There is a product out there alot of guys I know who race use called wetter than wet and you add it to your radiator. I havent done it yet but thinking about it. Its suppossed to cool the motor down alot.

Let us know.. seen the product but no idea if its worth it or not..

RichG,

I made 2 bolt-on mods at the suggestion of other members on the site.

First, I added the Yamaha wind deflectors. They allow you to direct the air onto your legs. They also help with getting air through the dead spot behind the lower cowling which blows out some of the heat. You can also swivel them closed to extend the cold riding season.

Second, I added Kuryakin Longhorn highway pegs/brackets. This allows you to stretch out beyond the cowlings and again, get more air. If you add the highway pegs, you may also want to consider the CarbonOne bracket stiffener mod, as the front crash bars tend to flex under strain. (Lots of posts on the site regarding this issue).

The bike is still hot when stopped, but these mods made a huge difference for me.

It was in the mid-high 90s all week in NH (that's very hot for us) and I rode all week. Hope this helps.

Bob

Guest RichG
First, I added the Yamaha wind deflectors. They allow you to direct the air onto your legs. They also help with getting air through the dead spot behind the lower cowling which blows out some of the heat. You can also swivel them closed to extend the cold riding season.

Bob

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have the wind deflectors also, but the left one does not seem to fit. If I move it to a position that directs air in to my legs, it touches the cowl in one spot. I sure that if I leave it there it will wear off the paint on that spot. I have not pulled the thing apart yet to find out if I can reposition it.

Are the two deflectors on your bike semetrical? Do they have the same position left and right when opened the same amount?

Edited by RichG

Are the two deflectors on your bike semetrical? Do they have the same position left and right when opened the same amount?

Pretty much. The clamp has no bottom section and can be moved around some.

When an RSV gets dropped it can (usually?) land on the heavy cast pieces the footboards are bolted to, saving it from most damage. This often bends the front engine/crash/whatever bars slightly. Since the air deflectors mount on this bar, a change in the bar position changes how the air deflector is positioned. This is a good reason to look into Carbon One's crash bar stiffener-uppers.

If the upper tip of the air deflector is touching the lower fairing, you might have to bend the crash bar back down a tiny bit, since they tend to get bent upward.

Guest RichG
Pretty much. The clamp has no bottom section and can be moved around some.

When an RSV gets dropped it can (usually?) land on the heavy cast pieces the footboards are bolted to, saving it from most damage. This often bends the front engine/crash/whatever bars slightly. Since the air deflectors mount on this bar, a change in the bar position changes how the air deflector is positioned. This is a good reason to look into Carbon One's crash bar stiffener-uppers.

If the upper tip of the air deflector is touching the lower fairing, you might have to bend the crash bar back down a tiny bit, since they tend to get bent upward.

Great observation.....thanks Steve.

Guest RichG

OK, so I go out there, all ready to put this problem away....................

UH, how does one "bend the crash bar back down a tiny bit". It seem taht if I were to jump up and down on it, all I would do is break my leg. :confused07:

So, anyhow I took the deflectors off for now. It helps a bunch!

Any wisdom as to how to "adjust" them back?? I don't own a 9 lb sledge or a 400 lb wife.

Thanks

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Rich,

They're not perfectly even. I've noticed 2 things that may impact this...

1) As Bummer pointed out, the crash guards move... I have the CarbonOne supports and highly suggest them. Not really sure how to "move" them back. Before the supports, they certainly bounced around quite a bit.

2) The wind deflectors are bolted on from a single mounting point off the crash bars. As a result, they're not super-sturdy... I move them open and closed depending on weather/rain and find that they sometimes rotate on the crash bar. Its not much... maybe a 1/4" or so, but that's enough to have them bump into the lower cowling as you describe. So, I keep an eye on them. Have tried tightening, but they still move.

Here's another thought... not sure if you've ever taken the cowlings off your bike, for service, fuse replacement, cleaning etc, however, if you did you'd notice that the bolt that enters from the back of the bike and screws in toward the front screws into a rubber grommet that sits in an ABS plastic protrusion of the cowling. They're Very weak (lots of posts on the site regarding this). If somehow, yours broke, it may allow the cowling to move back to your let enough to impact your wind deflector clearance.

I had the dealer break one of mine during a full service. I noticed it because the clearances between the right and left wind deflector were different. Not sure I would have even noticed if it wasn't for the fact that I was installing the wind deflectors.

Once I got that fixed, I now keep the wind deflectors on and pointing into the engine cavity all summer. Highway pegs help a lot too.

Just my experiences... hope it helps.

Ride safe.

Bob

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have the wind deflectors also, but the left one does not seem to fit. If I move it to a position that directs air in to my legs, it touches the cowl in one spot. I sure that if I leave it there it will wear off the paint on that spot. I have not pulled the thing apart yet to find out if I can reposition it.

Guest RichG
Rich,

They're not perfectly even. I've noticed 2 things that may impact this...

1) As Bummer pointed out, the crash guards move... I have the CarbonOne supports and highly suggest them. Not really sure how to "move" them back. Before the supports, they certainly bounced around quite a bit.

2) The wind deflectors are bolted on from a single mounting point off the crash bars. As a result, they're not super-sturdy... I move them open and closed depending on weather/rain and find that they sometimes rotate on the crash bar. Its not much... maybe a 1/4" or so, but that's enough to have them bump into the lower cowling as you describe. So, I keep an eye on them. Have tried tightening, but they still move.

Here's another thought... not sure if you've ever taken the cowlings off your bike, for service, fuse replacement, cleaning etc, however, if you did you'd notice that the bolt that enters from the back of the bike and screws in toward the front screws into a rubber grommet that sits in an ABS plastic protrusion of the cowling. They're Very weak (lots of posts on the site regarding this). If somehow, yours broke, it may allow the cowling to move back to your let enough to impact your wind deflector clearance.

I had the dealer break one of mine during a full service. I noticed it because the clearances between the right and left wind deflector were different. Not sure I would have even noticed if it wasn't for the fact that I was installing the wind deflectors.

Once I got that fixed, I now keep the wind deflectors on and pointing into the engine cavity all summer. Highway pegs help a lot too.

Thanks for the feed back on this. I have not had the time to study this on my bike yet so I just took the deflectors off for now. That seems to have helped move some of the heat away.

I need to pull this thing apart to see hpw it's put together. One of the things it does that makesd me want to pull it apart, is, it rattles and squeaks when I hit a bump. It makes me think that something is loose. But then, I've never had a bike with so mamy what-nots on it. All my bikes have been pretty stripped.

Thanks

Rich