IGNORED

Jousting with a false tank cover @ 70mph

So, there I was today riding over to one of my favorite BBQ joints on one of the Texas Farm-to-Market roads doing 70, when I get a face-full of my '83 VR false tank cover. Managed to grab it before it went sailing, and apparently the small ABS "tab" under the gas tank filler cap had failed. It had vibrated forward until it became un-clipped from the front attach point. Good thing I had a roll of duct tape in the saddlebag.

Does anyone happen to have a good "permanent" fix for that little sucker??:confused:

The one on mine had a crack in it so I used some ABS sheeting and made a piece to go over the top and and used ABS epoxy to bond them. Beefed up real well. No worry about the crack letting go now.

On my first test ride after I bought the bike I did not know the retaining screw was missing and the dang thing jumped up a bit on me. Got a hand on it before it came completely off. I won't want to fist fight that thing at highway speeds.

Mike

I'll give the oversized washer a try first (metal vs. plastic) then work on some type of ABS fix later. The good news is that it didn't move with the duct tape on the way back!!

Just for 1stGen'rs info, the rubber gromet that the washer sits on has a crush sleeve in it, when new, to keep the gromet from getting smushed. They're easily replaced, but unfortunately disappear without notice when removing the cover. Without the crush sleeve the screw pressure will break the tab off. Replacing the tab can be done by yankee ingenuity. Aluminum. Scrap abs plastic. Form a new one with Plasti-??. If you have a cover that is missing the sleeve, and hasn't broken yet, it's a lot easier replacing the sleeve.

So, there I was today riding over to one of my favorite BBQ joints on one of the Texas Farm-to-Market roads doing 70, when I get a face-full of my '83 VR false tank cover. Managed to grab it before it went sailing, and apparently the small ABS "tab" under the gas tank filler cap had failed. It had vibrated forward until it became un-clipped from the front attach point. Good thing I had a roll of duct tape in the saddlebag.

Does anyone happen to have a good "permanent" fix for that little sucker??:confused:

Mine broke off too and I fixed it by rebuilding it with Plastex. I just formed the shape with aluminum tape and redrilled the hole when I was done. As strong as ever and easy to do. I didn't know about the spacer that Condor mentions which i am going to get asap.. (Thanks Condor) This makes a lot of sense and also would help with dampening vibration at that point.

I made a nice metal bracket out of sheet aluminum (similar to the one pictured above) for the rear mount when the tab broke. It is now attached to the gas cover bracket metal on metal. With the rear secure, and no movement, the front mount has not been an issue.

I fixed, well replaced, my blue bike's false tank cover hold down tab with a piece of spring steel. I cut an L shaped piece from one of those spring clips that hold table cloths to picnic tables in windy weather. It has worked out great as it is springy enough to flex a bit but rigid enough to keep things in place.

My red bike was fixed similarly by the P.O. using a piece of aluminium angle extrusion. It works well enough but I intend to re do it my way eventually as his holes don't line up very well and its a b1tch to get the screw in and started.

Hope this is of interest.

Brian H.