IGNORED

Not bike...but Windows XP related

Snaggletooth

Ok....been getting the warnings lately that some programs will no longer be supported with Internet Explorer 7 so it's time to jump to IE8. No biggie right? I download the upgrade file for my Windows XP and go to install it. Dang......

I have the file BOIE8_MSCOM_XP.EXE as the upgrade but when I go to install it I get the message "BOIE8_MSCOM_XP.EXE is not a valid Win32 application"

I spent some time on the Windows site and checked that I have all the needed updates installed on my system and it looks like I have everything I need.

I can get around a computer pretty well if I know where I'm going but I'm a bit stumped on this one.

Any suggestions?

Mike

As an added thought, I'm curious to know which programs are being reported as they will not work? It almost sounds to me like some spyware has gotten into your computer and if you followed a link that these messages are pointing to for the IE8 upgrade, you may actually have downloaded something you shouldn't have. The name on the file looks a bit suspiscious to me and that's what is giving me this "feeling".

IE8 should only come from the Microsoft download site.

Well ......dang.

Ok, I checked all my system again and I do have everything current through sp3.

I recently blew the hard drive and reinstalled the entire operating system and reinstalled all my programs fresh onto the new drive so there is nothing on here that shouldn't be. I sweep constantly for virus and bugs and it is a clean as a whistle.

The one program that I use a lot that has been showing warnings that they will no longer support IE7 is the weather channel. Seems to be an up and up operation. LOL! They do have a button on their site to update to IE8 or Firefox. That was the one I used to download the upgrade software for IE8. That was the BOIE8 MSCOM_XP. EXE file. I just Googled that file and it showed a few odd listings but no Microsoft site. Hummm. There were two other sites that had the same warning and I'm going to check and see what file they set me up with later.

Googled the WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe file and that went right to the site. So that must be the right one.

Thanks for the Firefox and Maxthon suggestions. I'm going to be looking at both those shortly. Any thing that offers improvements and more security is a possiblity.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

STRIKE ANY KEY TO CONTINUE...........ok......where'd I leave my hammer? :whistling:

Mike