IGNORED

I think my radio is dying

This spring, the radio started losing station memory or messing up on the stations. But I was able to re-set them and things were OK.

Then I rode an hour in the rain last Saturday. Dried the bike out over several days and went for a ride yesterday and now there is only one station...on all channels, and I can't use the seek, channel up/down or even change from FM to AM and back.

The intercom and CB work perfect.

Anyone dealt with this, and does anyone have a nice working radio section including the cassette they would be willing to sell?

I want my tunes...luckily the one station is my favorite, but it has lousy reach.

I fixed the same problem today.

Take your radio console out and the two controls apart (it is not difficult). Leave the buttons inside the display part. Under the display is a loose rubber that protects the switches on the circuit board. Under this rubber you will find the wet switches. Dry the display and the electronic with a hair dryer. Not too hot. Then spray a little contact cleaner on the circuit boards after you checked them for loose solderings. Be careful that you don´t spray on the inside of the display glass. Lube the gaskets (large gasket for the controls and tape deck, and small round gaskets between AUTO-VOL and INT.VOL-TONE buttons) with Vaseline, and put a little drop Vaseline on the inside of each button. That should help keeping water outside.

I was successful with this cure today. Needed app. 1 hour. For the next ride, or parking in rain, buy a shower cap or put the radio console in your topcase.

Holgi

Thanks for the hints about drying it out etc. I will give that a try.

I got a PM about a unit that was available, I will try the fix mentioned and if that doesn't work, and you still have the unit for sale, we can talk, thanks for the offer.

About the 2006, if still under warranty, of course take in the entire bike though, and have it fixed. If you remove something, they might blame you for the problem! :) They will need the bike to check things out anyway.

Good news. Went into the garage to try taking it apart and doing the dry out reseal, and decided to just try taking it out and putting it back in. Must have been a magic method because everything is back. Even my pre-sets were still there. May still take it apart soon just to see what is what with the seals.

Thanks everyone for the help. Should not be needing the replacement part. (crossed fingers).

called my stealer today and they say after the first year they will remove the audio and send it to yamaha for repair. :shock3: I guess I will be looking at it myself or maybe call another dealer to see what they say.