IGNORED

Running rough-Electrical?????

84 XVZ 1200, 38K MILES

Bike is running rough and I thought it was because I got something wet from a good washing. This is what I've done based on what you good people have advised. Pulled and cleaned plugs, replaced plug wires, ensured spark off each coil and each wire down to the boots, pulled the ignition box-opened it and baked it in the oven @ 150 for 1.5 hours, opened the stop switch on the handle bars-hosed it w/ wd-40 and blew it out with the compresser.

She fires up immediately and at idle, she sounds like she is purring. She appears to be firing on all 4 cylinders but depending on the amount of throttle that I give it, the carbs all pop, some more than others and it is certainly not ruuning like it should. If I hammer the throttle, she chokes out.

Again, I thought I got something wet but maybe the washing and running like crap is just coincidence. Could the coils or the ignition box be screwed up even though it is running?

I really dont think it is a fuel issue because I've run (my most recent ) 3/4 of a tank of gas through it and ran like a champ. I've got a bit over 3k miles on it this years since the snow melted. The fact that each carb pops when I accelerate leads me to believe it is something electrical but I'm certainly not a bike machanic.

Looking for more trouble shooting ideas.

Thanks everyone

John-Michigan

jkmorey@localnet.com:crying:

Edited by jkmorey

John, unlike the good advice you can get from others on this forum, I sure can't help you much but I thought I would share my own experience with my 88VR. It can handle all but the worst rain without any problem. However, if I even look at it with a power washer, it misses badly. In my case, it straightens out as it dries out.

My VMAX did the same thing once when I would get caught in a rainstorm. After all I did , I found that the coils were cracked. Replaced them, no more problem. If there's any water at all in the float bowls, it may idle and come up slowly but when you whack it open, the water "bubble" will be sucked up and block the main jet!

84 XVZ 1200, 38K MILES

I really dont think it is a fuel issue because I've run (my most recent ) 3/4 of a tank of gas through it and ran like a champ. I've got a bit over 3k miles on it this years since the snow melted. The fact that each carb pops when I accelerate leads me to believe it is something electrical but I'm certainly not a bike machanic.

Thanks everyone

John-Michigan

If your carbs are way out of sync it'll cough, fart, and pop all over the place. Have you checked the diphragms and sync'd it yet?? Just a thought..... :confused07:

84 XVZ 1200, 38K MILES

Bike is running rough . . .

She fires up immediately and at idle, she sounds like she is purring. She appears to be firing on all 4 cylinders but depending on the amount of throttle that I give it, the carbs all pop, some more than others and it is certainly not ruuning like it should. If I hammer the throttle, she chokes out.

Again, I thought I got something wet but maybe the washing and running like crap is just coincidence. Could the coils or the ignition box be screwed up even though it is running?

Thanks everyone

John-Michigan

Have you checked the carb slides/diaphragms? A CV carb with a sticky slide or leaking diaphragm will start and idle, but will not run much over 3-4k RPM. The slides need to open to allow more air and fuel for the throttle demand.

You can take off the air cleaner cover and see the down the carb throats to the slides. They should all move at the same time and the same amount as you wick the throttle.

OEM spark plug caps.They can get water in them and corrode interanlly. FYI , you can disassmble them with a good fitting screwdriver...the stock ones are 10k ohm resistance. NGK is 5k. If you do find this issue. They can be carefully cleaned. Dp this on the kitchen table on a piece of white paper. There are small bits inside> spring, flat washer, resistor. Not necessarily in this order. Do not sand the resistor! Use dielectric grease on the screw that holds it together.

• 11 months later...
Remove all of the YICS stuff and plug the ports with good caps. The bike does not need it and many have problems with all that stuff being old and cracked. I removed mine a couple of years ago and it runs great.

RandyA

What kind of caps can you plug the AIS tube with? This area gets hot and I would worry about rubber caps.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem after washing mine just last week. Took one of the ignition wires off, and it was all corroded. {coil end that contacts pin in coil}. Cut off a bit, then re-installed. Took it for a ride, and all was well again. Going to check the other 3 this weekend, and maybe use dielectric grease around fittings to keep moisture out.:cool10:

• 2 months later...

89 VR 27000m

Mine has been running rough. After reading some posts I thought maybe a plug wire.

Took it to my mechanic who said it was running on 3 cylinders - worst case rebuild the plugged carbs but they would check it over.

I got it back. They had drilled out the mix plug on the #3 cylinder that wasn't hitting, re-set the mix and sync, and it is running lots better. They said the bike loved it, idle came up, ran better.

Not perfect - I have to schedule a visit to do a compression test and maybe do the other cylinders. He did say the plug wire resistance was a bit high.

I gathered from the explanation that the mix screws are sealed at factory until someone works on them, but I'm not sure. Any info explanation appreciated.

Question: do I replace the plug wires anyway even though the mechanic didn't do it or recommend it? (which may be a function of me jumping to the front of the line in a busy shop - I was glad to get in and out cheaply with noticeable improvement)

T