Last time I did mine, my manual said 400 ml each but but I only had 750ml on hand so each fork got 375ml and she runs and feels fine.

Hope this is helpful or at least of interest.

Cheers,

Brian H.

When changing the oil, unless you know the forks have been completely emptied adding a certain volume, either 13.8 oz or 400 ml, it is still a crap shoot. Seems to me when changing the oil it would be a very good idea to also flush out the forks with some mineral spirits to get any sludge out and ensure the passages are clear.

On my Virago the correct amount of oil is 7" down from the top without the spacer or the springs in the tube. Knowing the the actual level of the oil is also useful if for some reason it ever needs to be topped up.

Has anyone measured the correct fork oil level in the Venture forks?

When changing the oil, unless you know the forks have been completely emptied adding a certain volume, either 13.8 oz or 400 ml, it is still a crap shoot. Seems to me when changing the oil it would be a very good idea to also flush out the forks with some mineral spirits to get any sludge out and ensure the passages are clear.

On my Virago the correct amount of oil is 7" down from the top without the spacer or the springs in the tube. Knowing the the actual level of the oil is also useful if for some reason it ever needs to be topped up.

Has anyone measured the correct fork oil level in the Venture forks?

In another thread it was stated 5" down if you have Progressives. They said that was gleamed from the instructions that came with the springs.

I just put a set of progressives in the bike.

The Progressive instruction states the MAXIMUM oil level should be 5 1/2" down from top with forks collapsed and the fork spring removed.

You do not need an expensive fork oil level adjuster to set the height. Use a piece of clear vinyl tubing and a suction bulb (turkey baster). Mark the tubing to the depth you want to set the oil level at and insert it into fork tube to this level and suction oil out. If you need to add oil, a small wooden dowel inserted into tube will give an approximate depth of oil.

I set mine with the forks fully extended. The service manual shows a 5 1/2" travel for the front forks. So I marked tubing at 11" (5 1/2 (recommended height) + 5 1/2" (fork travel)) and set oil level.

Progressive installation sheets attached below.

Gary

In another thread it was stated 5" down if you have Progressives. They said that was gleamed from the instructions that came with the springs.
Thats a good start, thanks. The progressive springs have more coils than the regular ones so the level may be a bit higher with the OEM ones. I suspect erring on the lesser level would be less of a problem than over filling, particularly with the air assist.

BE AWARE- MOST of these inch measurements are w/ forks fully compressed and NO SPRINGS. Not fun....
Probably not much fun but when the oil needs to be changed the forks probably need to be pulled to do it properly. Some bikes have drain holes in the bottom, but my 96 Virago doesn't although the earlier models do. Haven't looked at the Venture forks yet.

The Progressive instruction states the MAXIMUM oil level should be 5 1/2" down from top with forks collapsed and the fork spring removed.
Thanks for the correction Gary.