Went over to Don's(B2dad) this morning and got 'dem gauges installed...finally. Took me about 4 hours, working at a comfortable pace. I needed the practice for MD.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/Image1.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/Image2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/Image3.jpg

The B2 Bomber is good to go for the trip to MD!!

Really, doing it on the trike wasn't any different at all.

The volts gauge only shows 12 volts with it idling, but it reads low, as a meter on the battery actually shows 13.2 volts....and that's with all of the lights on, including the passing lamps and driving lights...and all of Don's body LEDs. He has a good stator!

I need to research a better place to tie in with that gauge. Maybe right at the fuse block, with a switched circuit. I am currently tying them in at the 12v power outlet in the fairing, so they read a bit low.

Maybe Ponch has a better suggestion.

Guest scarylarry

When I get around to doing mine, I was going to look for a spare fuse block and stick there....

Side note.... It was noticed that the copper fittings on the oil sensor could be chrome, sleeperhawk knew of someone in Paducah Ky. that did chrome some parts for him and it did look good....

Guest scarylarry
It wasn't bad at all...I just stood back and watched. So glad to finally have this done. It really was a big job and no way could I have done it.

Thanks Monty!

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Guest scarylarry
Good job Monty. I know Don was chomping at the bit to get this project done.

Larry

I'm chopping at the bit to Monty when you gonna help me do mine???????

I had a similar problem with my voltmeter reading low but 13.8 volts when measured at the battery. I tried connecting at the fusebox but still had the same results. I ended up connecting directly to the battery through a 12volt relay that is activated by the ignition switch and now get accurate readings. I'm not sure what the problem is but this hook-up solved my problem.

Doug

I had a similar problem with my voltmeter reading low but 13.8 volts when measured at the battery. I tried connecting at the fusebox but still had the same results. I ended up connecting directly to the battery through a 12volt relay that is activated by the ignition switch and now get accurate readings. I'm not sure what the problem is but this hook-up solved my problem.

Doug

Sounds like the way to go. It takes longer, but if you want it right, then so be it.:happy34:

Guest scarylarry
Whenever we get time. Look how long it took me to get to Don's.:whistling:

I hope they will fit on my 3rd gen. then.............:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Really, doing it on the trike wasn't any different at all.

The volts gauge only shows 12 volts with it idling, but it reads low, as a meter on the battery actually shows 13.2 volts....and that's with all of the lights on, including the passing lamps and driving lights...and all of Don's body LEDs. He has a good stator!

I need to research a better place to tie in with that gauge. Maybe right at the fuse block, with a switched circuit. I am currently tying them in at the 12v power outlet in the fairing, so they read a bit low.

Maybe Ponch has a better suggestion.

Monty,

my voltmeter does the same thing. I need to move it (the wire) too. Just haven't done it.

I just did the relay mod for my volts gauge. I will post a writeup as soon as I can. I'm working the next 3 nights. I took pictures.

The gauge still reads a volt less than my meter, but now, the gauge doesn't drop below 12 volts when I turn my passing lamps on.

I started my bike and turned everything on...radio, passing lamps, brake lights and my trailer, with all 13 of it's lights.....still got 13.5 volts at the battery, according to my meter...at idle...guess my stator is good.:happy34:

Is that one of Ponch's bezel plats, or your own,,, :confused24: Looks great. Now if there were only a 1.5" Tach, and room for one more it would be perfect,,,

I can do a two gauge plate (standard size) with one 1 1/2" gauge and one 1 5/8" Drag Specialty tach or a three gauge plate with two 1 1/2" gauges and one 1 5/8" tach.

I haven't started making them for sale yet, but here's the one I have on my bike. Boomer (Tennessee) gets the first one.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/dawarren77377/Gauges/DSCF5297.jpg?t=1276200872