IGNORED

Axle clamp bolt - dumb question?

When I removed my front wheel all I needed to do was loosen the main axle bolt and remove the calipers. I mounted the new tire and put the wheel back on then torqued the bolt to 58lbs. I read on a forum about an axle clamp bolt - is there a bolt I need to tighten to secure the main axle bolt?

I have absolutely no idea what bike you have, but on the 2nd gens there is an alien-head pinch bolt located just below the axle on the right fork. The torque spec is 13 ft lbs.

Goose

I have second generation - I'll check the bolt - thanks!

Guest scarylarry
The bigger question is how did you get that axle out without loosening the pinch bolt, you must have banged real good on the axle to knock it out. :crying:

Unless it was already lose...........OH NO....

When I bought my bike it only had 6,000 miles on it and that same bolt was finger tight. Along with a lot more on the bike I should ad,so it is wise to check everything as some times I think the person putting these bikes together is asleep or a very weak fellow.

The bigger question is how did you get that axle out without loosening the pinch bolt, you must have banged real good on the axle to knock it out. :crying:

\

Actually, It came out with a 3/8th rachet and socket - not hard at all. Hmmmmmm -

I didn't know anything about this pinch bolt until I read this thread. Good information for I am also getting closer to replace my front tire. Perhaps by the end of this year, a new tire may already be in place. :thumbsup: