Been riding ventures quite a while and I have had it vibrate loose on the back of the speedometer a couple of times and have had the cable break twice. I went to NAPA and bought a cable that was cut to fit and crimped on the new end with the supplied wrench.

Guest tx2sturgis

Are the odometer/trip meter numbers increasing? Is the radio AVC function working? Does it light up?

Guest tx2sturgis

If the clock, odometer, and AVC functions normally, but the needle does not seem to work, its probably the display or head unit...

Not Cheap.

If the clock is working but the odo numbers dont change while riding and the AVC is not working, it may be the speed sensor, or the wiring harness or connectors between it and the dash unit.

If nothing works, not at all, and no lights at night either, then it may be the main fuse to the speedometer unit itself...or a connector has failed..I've never had this happen so I'm kinda shooting in the dark here.

Closed Circuit to ctraylor: This is the 2nd gen unit and it doesnt have a mechanical speedometer cable, it has an electronic sending unit and LCD speedometer readout.

Thank you for the info everyone. So far I took off the unit from the swingarm and cleaned it, still does not work. The ODO,AVC and Cruise Control along with the Speedo does not work everything else is good. Where on the back of the dash is the speedo cable (what color wire). Thaks alot!:think:

there is no speedo cable on a 2nd gen venture.

check your speed sensor and all the connections from there to the speedo, the cruise and auto volume will not work without a signal from the sensor. if it were a problem with the display.... then the other items would still work... thus= your not getting a signal.

mike

Thanks for your help. I read an article on another website that tells of a self diagnostic built in on RSV. The engine light will come on when you turn the key to on , make sure the kill switch is in on position, the light will stay on for 1.4 seconds and turn off, with a defective speedo sensor the light will flash 4 times and repeat every 3 seconds. My bike passed this test , no flashing lights. Still no speedo.Tomorrow I will check all the connections I can find.:puzzled:

I just had to replace my speedo sensor. No cruise and didn't check the other features. Needle was dead in it's track. A used sensor from Pinwall cycle did the trick.

The plug/connector in the fairing for the spdeeo has 2 connectors under the fairing. A smaller one sits on top of the radio unit and the other can be found following that part of the harness. It'll be on the right side next to the big rubber connectors for the radio. It'll also be the smaller connector of the two there that look alike.

Larry

BTW I was getting a flash code later with 8 flashes after replacing the sensor. During that time I had an erratic needle which wouldn't give a steady speed indication. I found the small connector on top of the radio had a loose connection. Cleaned it up and was good to go.

Edited by Carbon_One

Thanks for the info Carbon One. I took off the fairing couldn't see any loose connections. Like I said there is no code showing yet still no speedo. I think I will try to get a used sensor like you did and go from there. Thank you again.:Venture:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for all the help. I just put on a speed sensor that I got from Pinwall Cyclle Parts ($19.95) and it seems to be working ok. I have not had chance to go for a long ride yet to test the cruise and odo. at least the needle moves up. I am still on the mend from radiation to the Scrotum due to Cancer. Again thank you very much for the help and your brotherhood.

Bert (NEWFIE):thumbsup2:

Thank you everyone for all the help. I just put on a speed sensor that I got from Pinwall Cyclle Parts ($19.95) and it seems to be working ok. I have not had chance to go for a long ride yet to test the cruise and odo. at least the needle moves up. I am still on the mend from radiation to the Scrotum due to Cancer. Again thank you very much for the help and your brotherhood.

Bert (NEWFIE):thumbsup2:

success !!!

A lead lined jock cup, and you should be ready to ride.... :Laugh: