IGNORED

Short Windshield

SteveB

I am thinking of putting a shorter windshield on our 08. I am sure that some of you have already done this modification.

So my questions are. How short is your windshield ? If you ride two up, how does the shorter windshield effect your passenger ?

Any other advise will be considered.

SteveB

I put the Yamaha medium windshield on my 07, the wife claims she gets a lot more wash and head buffeting when that one is on.

I cut down the stock windshield so it is taller than the medium, it is better , but she is still getting more head buffeting than she wants. The cut down stock shield now measures 19.5 inches from the top of the tank between the gas cap and the ignition cover to the top of the shield. Still gives good coverage for the driver and I can look over it instead of thru it.

I have ordered a Clearview 18 inch shield, I hope it is better for her.

I hate looking thru the stock shield and do not want to go back to that.

I have a Yamaha shorty ( the shortest one Yamaha offers) which looks good and is fine for city or country driving where you stay below 50 mph. This is 1 up. I have a Slipstreamer 13" windshield which is perfect for me even at 80 on the interstate. No buffeting at all and I can see over it if I sit up straight. It is not a wide windshield. Again this is 1 up. Sorry can't offer any advise on 2 up.

SteveB

I put the Yamaha medium windshield on my 07, the wife claims she gets a lot more wash and head buffeting when that one is on.

I cut down the stock windshield so it is taller than the medium, it is better , but she is still getting more head buffeting than she wants. The cut down stock shield now measures 19.5 inches from the top of the tank between the gas cap and the ignition cover to the top of the shield. Still gives good coverage for the driver and I can look over it instead of thru it.

I have a short Show Chrome 14" on the '99. I like the looks, but I'm not sure I like the performance?? I'll know better after I put the stock one back on and give it a try. I'm a pretty tall guy and a standard 22" shield is like an 18" for everyone else. With the short 14" the wind stream is hitting me as if I didn't have a shield at all. A lot of helmet wind noise and buffeting. Can't offer any feedback on the passenger as I ride solo. A GK once in a great while. BTW, unless they measure windshields differently on a 2ndGen, the distance is from the top of the front chrome of the shield to the top lip.

Cut down my stock Yamaha windshield, but I'm only 5' 7" and the bike is lowered in the rear 1 7/8". For me it is perfect, right at the tip of my nose, so wash blows over my head but breezy. Wife doesn't really notice too much difference. Take a look ......

I switched from the Yamaha stock to the 13" show chrome so I could look over the shield instead of through it. Obviously it's not as calm and quiet as the stock, but it's not enough to bother me either.

I'm 5' 8" and my wife is 5' 4" and she never said a word or mentioned any difference when I changed shields.

SteveB

I did same and wish you luck my Co-Rider was AOK with any short windshield up to 50 mph but any HWY Speeds was not acceptable to her. So I now know I HAVE TO look through the XXL Clearview to keep her happy...:bawling: But the added VENT keeps me happy and Cool too

Edited by frogmaster
added "Vent" info