IGNORED

picked up an 83

fisheyes

So I just picked up an 83 venture royale and wanted to thank this site for all the info that helped me decide. Over all the bike is in great shape, the only thing that i found that is not working is the The Temp guage.74k

I was a little concerned about the 2nd gear problems known in these bikes, but it is at 74k and shows no signs of problems (i ran hard through 2nd gear to see if i could get it to pop out). I have a question about the brakes they seem very weak to me, but i am coming from riding sport standard bikes, for reference it seems to stop slowly, and even applying breaks very hard there is NO way i could lock either tire.

anyways here a pic, and i enjoyed my first 250mi on it yesterday. :happy34:

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1274634469037051500.jpg

It looks like you made a good choice! She looks like it was well looked after. The brakes on the early G1 bikes was a weak spot as I dont think youlll be able to lock either wheel up at any time.

Some people change out the front forks and put on newer style calipers to get better braking.

my brake lines are now changed to stainless steel braided and it made a huge difference to stopping plus it added a bleeder valve up by the triple tree to really make it possible to get all the air out of the lines.

Brian

It looks like you made a good choice! She looks like it was well looked after. The brakes on the early G1 bikes was a weak spot as I dont think youlll be able to lock either wheel up at any time.

Some people change out the front forks and put on newer style calipers to get better braking.

my brake lines are now changed to stainless steel braided and it made a huge difference to stopping plus it added a bleeder valve up by the triple tree to really make it possible to get all the air out of the lines.

Brian

I have not had trouble locking them up. Depends on how much Pucker Factor you got going.:rotfl: The more you get used to them of course the better they work. Might need bled out and you can do braided steel lines which are supposed to be great.:confused24: I tend to worry a little more about going thann stopping. But stopping now and then is nice.....:whistling:

Yah! MK1 brakes leave a lot to be desired. Installing Stainless steel lines helps, albeit expensive. Step 2 is to upgrade to MK2 brakes but then you have to switch out your front forks and rear caliper bracket, which has to be modified to fit on the swingarm. Step 3 is to replace the front calipers with Yamaha R6 calipers. It gets expensive but you will stop on a dime...

PS Welcome aboard!!!