IGNORED

Pillow Top MM

YamaDuck

Well inspired by Sylvester I decided to get some pillow top seats for my MM. I just went to the auto parts store and picked up some can spray paint that was close in color to the stock MM seats. The color is a little lighter but not much. If I had it to do over again I would take Sylvester's advise and have the color I want made up at a auto paint supplier and I would use a spray gun. It would probably be cheaper. The stuff I used was made to cover plastic and auto seat vinyls. It coats it well but you need to make sure that the vinyl is clean. I don't know how well this stuff will work over time but for now it seems to stick pretty well and is very pliable.

I like the pillow top seat very well and this is an effort to put them on my MM. If this doesn't hold up well then I'll bite the bullet and find a reputable upholstery shop around here and have them recovered. Anyway here are a few pic's of my MM.:thumbsup2:

• 5 months later...

...for passing on Sylvester's inspiration for putting the pillow top seats on the MM and for letting us know that it's possible to paint the covering material. I found some used pillowtop seats awhile back. Unfortunately, the seller did not have the passenger back rest. I wanted to go darker than the stock MM color and found the SEM Color Coat in Camel color. Man, was I surprised at how well it covered the black seats and with the elasticity of the paint.

I liked the color so much that I decided to paint several other trim pieces on MyPalomino. If I had not emptied the can, I probably would have went to the air box covers and other non-chrome trim pieces. Still may do it as winter project.

I do have a question though...how did you get the paint into the crevices of the seat material, mainly in the rider's seat near the tailbone area? Should I have painted the crevices and allowed those areas to dry before painting the rest of the seat? Thanx again for the inspiration.

Jerry

SEM is a great product. I did the same thing on my '87 "Mellow Yellow" and changed the seat, etc to grey when I painted the scoot Black. That product stood up pretty well over 3 summers and now the scoot has gone to another owner (2 years ago) so I'm not sure how they're looking today but heck... 3 summers of use ... so what if ya had to do them again after that period of time.

...for passing on Sylvester's inspiration for putting the pillow top seats on the MM and for letting us know that it's possible to paint the covering material. I found some used pillowtop seats awhile back. Unfortunately, the seller did not have the passenger back rest. I wanted to go darker than the stock MM color and found the SEM Color Coat in Camel color. Man, was I surprised at how well it covered the black seats and with the elasticity of the paint.

I liked the color so much that I decided to paint several other trim pieces on MyPalomino. If I had not emptied the can, I probably would have went to the air box covers and other non-chrome trim pieces. Still may do it as winter project.

I do have a question though...how did you get the paint into the crevices of the seat material, mainly in the rider's seat near the tailbone area? Should I have painted the crevices and allowed those areas to dry before painting the rest of the seat? Thanx again for the inspiration.

Jerry

WOW looks great. I painted the cracks first. I spread it out so that I could spray into the cracks. I would use my hand to hold apart until it dried enough to touch or use clear packing tape or in some cases heavy weights to hols it apart. It has held up pretty well with a little ware on the side where my thigh rubs. I just touch it off every once in a while. Must of the seat has not been retouched at all.:thumbsup2:

The MM's had a great color scheme. They really should have done an MMX for 2010 with the same colors (plus the stick on flames). Just think... it could have been a marketing gimmick and they could have had an MMXX in 2020 since we will probably still have the same cassette playin' bike.

:crackup:

they could have had an MMXX in 2020 since we will probably still have the same cassette playin' bike.

:crackup:

Considering I'll be retireing in 3.5 years and what my finacial situation will be.... I'll probably still have the same cassette playin' bike in 2020 too!! :rotf:

oh ... correction ... I removed the cassette :crying:

WOW looks great. I painted the cracks first. I spread it out so that I could spray into the cracks. I would use my hand to hold apart until it dried enough to touch or use clear packing tape or in some cases heavy weights to hols it apart. It has held up pretty well with a little ware on the side where my thigh rubs. I just touch it off every once in a while. Must of the seat has not been retouched at all.:thumbsup2:

If only my brain had been working before I began, I would have asked you and did it right the first time. Oh well, your suggestions should still work when I bring the seats inside this winter and finish what I started. Thanx for the confirmation and the compliments.

Edited by jarrejx
I learned the grammatically correct usage of "have asked"

Your welcome but Sylvester was the first one to do it. I just copied his idea. just make sure you prep the seats real good and make sure you use a paint especially made for vinyl. It will crack over time but you just touch it up every now and then. You don't have to redo the whole seat.:thumbsup2:

paint looks great on both bikes. Had no idea you could paint the seats and actually have it hold up to wear and tear. :hurts:

What amazed me the most is such a result could be achieved from a "rattle can" of paint. The SEM Color Coat is a little costly $18.00 plus $17.00 for the Vinyl Prep., but still a lot cheaper than new or re-upholstered seats.