Hi guys, I have removed my carbs off my -'87 VR a few times. Every time I remove the upper left fairing to get to the cables at the Venture Cruise "junction box" and disconnect the "shorties" going to the carbs per the manual. This is a long process. Have I been doing it the hard way? Can the carbs be removed and safely disconnect the cables right at the carbs then yank them up and out the top without swearing? Bottom line , have I been disassmbling the fairing for nothing?

Jason, I have never removed the left side upper fairing when removing the carbs. The carbles can be disconnected by loosening the adjustments near the carb. The just lift them upward and out of the boots and then work them out to the right side of the bike. Sounds easy but one has to work at it but this is how I've done it forever.

Jason, I have never removed the left side upper fairing when removing the carbs. The carbles can be disconnected by loosening the adjustments near the carb. The just lift them upward and out of the boots and then work them out to the right side of the bike. Sounds easy but one has to work at it but this is how I've done it forever.

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Yes , I loosen the cable adjusters as far as possible. I have pulled them out the top. But this was once I disconnected them shorties from the junction box. I was under the impression the 1st time I did it last year. That due the lack of total cable to allow movement. It was difficult if not impossible for removal and disconnect of cables at the carbs w/o doing the disconnect from the junction box. I was sure I noted thisd somewhere in the manual. Well, I should have the carbs back in next week. Maybe the non-cruise models are easier. I could convert back to '83 non royale cables for my '87VR. That may help. In any case, If I have to do it again. I will try it your way...If anyone has better idea let me know. thanks

I have done my share of cursing getting those cables off and on. Its an easy 30 minutes off and on for me with those cables. I have only touched the junction box once and that was a few weeks ago. I have pulled the carbs of many times. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them. Did I mention that I hate them? lol

I want a new bike.

I had my carbs off recently. After a few attempts I found this works for me;

Lift the carb assembly out of the boots and slide it halfway out the left side. The fairing was not in the way. Fully release the adjusters on the throttle cables. The outside one is easy enough to get off. The inside one I could barely see. I removed the bracket that holds the end of the inside cable (4 screws) and was able to rotate the linkage enough to get the cable end out. You can clearly see this bracket in the attached photo.

Edited by GaryZ

I generally pull the carbs with the cables still attached, then disconnect them. I also connect the cables before installing. For the life of me I can't figure out how anyone can get that lug end and cable in the cam when they're already on..... :confused07:

Guest Swifty
Fully release the adjusters on the throttle cables.

Exactly what adjusters are you talking about? The handle bar ones?

I put this in the tech writeup:

Do you have the carbs off? There's an easy way and a tough way to get the throttle and choke cables off. I finally found the easy way... The carb assembly also needs some "proper" persuasion to get up off their mount boots! Remove the air cleaner... there's a small hose at the front bottom... disconnect it at the air box. There's a large hose at the bottom, rear, center... disconnect it at the ENGINE... this lets you use the hose as a guide when you put it back (plus you can't get to the rear bottom of the air box when it's going back together. Loosen the four rubber boot clamps below the carbs and now it's time to work these up. They don't want to because it's a tight fit but work one side up a bit and then do the other until you have them up. I used two pieces of hardwood to pry the carbs up... one side a bit at a time. Then you pull the carbs a bit out the left side. Run the throttle adjust nut at the handlebar in to get some free cable. Loosen the adjustment coupler right at the carb all the way. Pull THAT cable housing up from the carb cable holder and slide the cable through

the slot in the carb mounted holder... there's just enough slack to get it out of the holder! Then you can tip the carbs to see how to disconnect it. Now you can roll the carbs OPEN and get the takeup cable off. The choke is easy, loosen the clamp and slide the cable free.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54

I read the OEM service manual again. It says to disconnect cables at the cruise junction box. Which as we know, that requires(what I did) removal of fairing bits and pieces. I did remove the carbs once(my 1st time) w/o going to the junction. Even with all adusters set in my favor. The "PUSH" cable was a major pain. I am always afraid I will damage the cables. Guess that is why I have been doing it "by the book"... Also, the carbs come out easy if you have previously "oiled" the inside of the manifolds. They will come straight up after shifting slightly to the left and push the water hose out of the way. Condor, do you still have the cables connected to the cruise junction? I have not been able to find enough slack to do that.

Condor, do you still have the cables connected to the cruise junction? I have not been able to find enough slack to do that.

Yep, cables are still attached to the junction. I pop the bodies out of the manifolds and slide the assembly out the left side... carefully.... Then detach the cables. I've done it this way about 6-7 times so far, so I don't think it's luck.. :) But you never can tell.... :confused07::confused07:

Yep, cables are still attached to the junction. I pop the bodies out of the manifolds and slide the assembly out the left side... carefully.... Then detach the cables. I've done it this way about 6-7 times so far, so I don't think it's luck.. :) But you never can tell.... :confused07::confused07:
You have to be able to hold your tongue just right to get it done.

• 2 weeks later...

JEEEEEZZZZZ I have just seen the "light". Once all the adjusters ar loosened. Remove choke cable. THEN YOU DISCONNECT AT THE THROTTLE GRIP. This gives all the slack needed to remove and disconnect at carbs. Man where has my head been? I have been so used to removing the fairing for other things. And following the manual... I had simply forgotten.:(