IGNORED

speaker tuned ports

I saw this over on a VTX forum. I wanted to post it here and see what the "ones in the know" know about it. It seems like a really simple solution to getting more out of stock speakers. What do you guys think? Scroll down to page 3 of the pdf document and check out what they recommend. The best I can understand it, it is recommended by the fairing manufacturer. If that's so, why don't they do it at the factory? I guess they consider it an option....

Well, I am not as technically advanced as a lot of others here. But I will say, that most speakers that use ports tend to be for larger size speakers. I have several home stereo speakers (JBL, Polk Audio, Klipsch) and some use ports, some use a passive radiator (another woofer but no electrical connection - basically another form of a port) and some have no ports at all. The larger speakers (read woofers) tend to have ports or passive radiators and the smaller ones have nothing. That would lead me to believe that the amount of flexing by the bigger speakers in a sealed environment could be detrimental to the speakers (got to have room for the thump to escape).

P.S. As an old rocker friend of mine once said, the B in JBL stands for BASS!:big-grin-emoticon:

Slick, although it is true that movement of air in and out of the fairing is important like a speaker cabinet, I'm not sure that punching 2 extra holes in the fairing will make a big difference as far as the Venture sound system goes. Plus, I don't think ours are totally sealed units anyway, so there is plenty of areas for air to escape.

My vote is to not do that particular fix on the Venture fairing. :080402gudl_prv:

I prefer sealed boxes for anything less than a 12" speaker.

Ports do allow for a bit higher output but with anything less than a really good large woofer they distort a lot more, so if your into quality over quantity don't do it.

Personally I think bike radios are useless in the first place, you can't hear them over the pipes and wind without cranking them up so high they blubber out and sound like trash...except to the people who are riding next to you that really don't like your music.

I prefer some noise canceling earbuds that block out nearly all wind and exhaust noise so that I can keep the volume low enough that it's crystal clear.