Well I'm finally getting the dreaded chirp noise on my 02 midnight. With about 11 k miles on it I guess as time goes on it will get more pronounced. Checked with the dealer about the basket change and he said the noise can still be there but may move to a different rpm and speed, but most likely won't go away. I will admit it is getting quite annoying, even my wife is noticing it to. I've had the bike almost 3 years and have tried to really like the bike, but just can't seem to get it to grow on me if you know what I mean, and now this. I like the bike for the power, comfort, and roominess, but I just can't get a liking to this bike. Was over at the dealer last week and they have an 07 on the lot on consignment, nice bike, low miles, I asked why it was for sale and the sales guy said he really didn't know the guy just wants to sell it. I've considerd selling mine last fall and now the whine issue may be the deciding factor this year, if I can only convince my wife as she likes the bike. I've been using Amsoil 10w40 since I've had it and what is the opinions on going to a heavier oil or back to dino oil ? will it quiet the chirp? Dealer says the repairs parts and labor would be around 400.00. but it may or may not cure it. Bike is out of warranty so that's not an issue. Not sure what to do at this point, any suggestions or opinions may be helpfull, thanks...

I have an 2007 RSV.I bought it used with 4,000 on it. I asked the salesman why it was traded in, and he said that an older guy had bought it and that it was too heavy for him and he traded it in on a GoldWing.That did not make any sense to me, because they weigh about the same. I bought it because I loved the color of the blue/black color combo and wanted a touring bike that was water cooled.I had rode my buddies Gold Wing and did not care for the ergonomics(seating position,leg room).I rode it home after i bought it and immediately noticed the whine.The more I rode it the louder it got.By the 8,000 mile mark, it was so loud it was hurting my ears.I have a feeling this was the reason it was traded.Through this forum, I learned about the I basket swap. I had the dealer order one and it remedied my problem.There is still a slight whine, but as others have said,I think that it is inherent to the bike.It's not near as bad as the belt whine I've heard on some of my Harley buddies that I ride with.I also ordered the leveling links from Diamond R and it is a totally different riding bike.It made it so much more easy to handle.I was very skeptical at first, but what everyone is saying about this mod is true.I know it hasn't worked as well for some on the basket swap, but it made mine be the bike I've always wanted.I hope you get it worked out.

My 2006 Tour Deluxe was a "screamer" too. It was brutal! The I Basket knocked about 80% of it out, Amsoil helped even more, it's no longer a problem even though it is there. Mine started at about 1000 miles, I now have about 26,000.

I changed to a 130/90 tire in front, put the Baron's lowering and gold valve kit in front, and changed the stock rear shock for a Works Performance unit that also raised the rear about 1 inch, which ends up being close to the same geometry as the leveling link. Also Avon Venom tires. The bike handles a LOT better, it's an entirely different motorcycle. It's easier to like it now.

That being said, it's your bike, not mine. Either you like it or you don't. Good luck figuring that out for yourself....if not then :mo money: at your favorite brand of new toy store..

:Cool_cool36:

Edited by bobbyduck
typos

I had the whine/chirp too. Got my scoot with only 1300 kms on it ... as they started to add up, the whine/chirp got worse ... unbearable... at first I really liked the bike... but I was getting to dislike it in a big way fast because of that whine/chirp. I tried different oils, motorkote, riding at higher rpms, louder pipes, cranking up the stereo... that was like "robbing Peter to pay Paul" so I got the I basket done... MAJOR difference! Yes, there is still a whine but it's hardly noticeable anymore.

Also wasn't happy about the handling of the bike. It was a "monster" in the twisties and sucked in a parking lot so I put the 130 tire on the front...again MAJOR difference! Having said that tho, that tire really affects the highway tracking ... at time the bike feels like it's got a flat tire .... really bothersome at certain times (but not always) so I'm going back to the 150 front and putting the levelling links on... maybe after this riding season is done.

I can say once again that I really like this bike.. maybe after the levelling links, I will LOVE it.

At this point, everything else about the bike is great but comparing it to most of the other bikes I've owned, I do find that this particular model sure needs a lot more attention to things it seems.

I've got my 06 RSTD in the shop right now for the I-basket. Something that may help, works great for me.

I got a set of Quite-Ear reuseable earplugs from earplug superstore.com and really like them. They're very comfortable. They're not as sound deading as a standard earplug but FOR ME they completely block out the high frequency of the clutch whine and I can still hear. They're hollow which is to me is very comfortable on the ear canals, no pressure.

The main reason I put mine in the shop was I want to try an intercom system and not sure if I could hear with the earplugs. Will see next week.

They also sell Silent-Ear...which is filled with a jel. They work like a true earplug and block out everything but, I my ears would get sore after an all day ride.

Thanks, for all the info guys. Wife and I talked bout it today some and she really likes the bike, but does agree if I can't learn to like it we might as well put it up for sale instead of letting it set in the garage. She has her honda and I have my vulcan 1500 classic to ride. We bought the venture just for our long touring rides and ride it on the weekends sometimes. I will say she doesn't ride her bike much as she wants to ride the venture instead. I ride my kawi. locally and to work because it's easier to handle. Was over on the voyager websites checking on the opinions on that bike, seems most people like them. I would like the v twin sound vs. the v4 and also the added 6 speed to keep the revs. lower. I'm going to do some thinking about this and in a few days make a decision and may be the venture up for sale. Just put new tires on it two weeks ago and the bike does handle alot better, but still can't really get into the groove with this bike, if you know what I mean, by that statement, sounds like I've made up my mind huh? :think:

As far as oil change, a few people here have said it got worse when changing to a heavier oil. When I change from dino to synth it got quieter, but it was never very bad to start with and I used 10w-40 both dino and synth.

I was much like you. I traded in a VTX 1800 on my '07 Midnight Venture. It took me a while to get used to this bike, for sure, but now, with approx. 19K miles on her, I wouldn't trade her for anything. I had the chirp - appeared about a week after I bought the bike, and I was so upset that I almost traded it in. On this forum I learned about the "I" basket, and it solved the problem and didn't cost me a penny.

All bikes have their own individual issues. A lot of the Voyager and Nomad riders are complaining of heat issues, gear noise and belt alignment. Ultra Classic riders are complaining about a lot of things - just read some posts on their forums. Even Goldwing riders have complaints. It's part of the deal when you buy a bike. None of them are perfect.

If you're looking to trade your Venture in on another tourer, I'm not sure you'll find one better. I have to admit that I do occasionally miss the low end grunt of my previous V-twin VTX, but nothing eats up highway like this Venture, and that's exactly what the wife and I wanted when we bought it. We go long distances, sometimes riding 600+ miles in a day. Our Venture is the perfect bike for us.

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for. The 4 cyl isn't for everyone, I suppose.

I had the whine/chirp too. Got my scoot with only 1300 kms on it ... as they started to add up, the whine/chirp got worse ... unbearable... at first I really liked the bike... but I was getting to dislike it in a big way fast because of that whine/chirp. I tried different oils, motorkote, riding at higher rpms, louder pipes, cranking up the stereo... that was like "robbing Peter to pay Paul" so I got the I basket done... MAJOR difference! Yes, there is still a whine but it's hardly noticeable anymore.

Also wasn't happy about the handling of the bike. It was a "monster" in the twisties and sucked in a parking lot so I put the 130 tire on the front...again MAJOR difference! Having said that tho, that tire really affects the highway tracking ... at time the bike feels like it's got a flat tire .... really bothersome at certain times (but not always) so I'm going back to the 150 front and putting the levelling links on... maybe after this riding season is done.

I can say once again that I really like this bike.. maybe after the levelling links, I will LOVE it.

At this point, everything else about the bike is great but comparing it to most of the other bikes I've owned, I do find that this particular model sure needs a lot more attention to things it seems.

no reason to wait on the leveling links, it will literally take you 10 minutes to change out. it is VERY easy to do. you do NOT have to remove anything from the bike to change them out, just need a lift to take the tension off of the rear shock.

I checked with the dealer and he said he would try to get Yamaha to replace the clutch with the I basket even though it's an 02 and out of warranty, but with the low mileage he may be able to convince yamaha to do a warranty on the repairs. He said that Yamaha seems to take care of the venture owners more than the other sizes, don't know. I would have to give it some thought and may even pay half to get this problem fixed and keep the bike, decisions, decisions. I realize all bikes have their quirks, that's a given because they are a mechanical machine, but you would think that with all the complaints, that they would do like a recall or something if it's a clearance or clutch problem. I understand it's not a safety issue, but riding a motorcyle with that type of noise takes the enjoyment out of it.

My story,

07 venture...replaced with "I" basket.....drastic improvement.....no leveling links, no 130 tire...carbs synched...high output stator........E3 tires...clearview shield....love bike.......the end.

I put the e 3's on about two weeks ago and will admit the bike does handle much better as other's have said here. I did do some research before the tire purchase and was a wise choise. Hard to believe that you 07 needed the basket changed so soon, how many miles do you have on the bike? I would think Yamaha would have had this issue resolved on the newer models if they had complaints on the earlier second gens. I was going to ebay the bike later today after getting some pics. taken to post, but I haven't 100% made that decision. My wife and I took a look at the Kawasaki site and the video of the Voyager and she noticed that bike doesn't appear to have as much room between the rider and passenger, in addtion some of the standard items the venture has the Kawi. are options with added costs. Those of you that have replaced the mufflers with slip on's. Can you recommend a brand that will give me the lower deep sound I'm looking for? When I bought the bike the rear cone was already removed and the rear baffle was drilled out, sounds ok, but has a glasspack type bark, no likey. I put the Harly muffs. on it late last year and made the sound louder, and more hollow. I thought I would get used to it, but they didn't have the deep sound I'm looking for. I guess if I get the chirp issue taken care of as other's said and get nice sounding exhaust I may keep it, but if I spend the coins to get the basket done and it doesn't help with the chirp it will be money lost.

I guess I lucked out. After reading all the reports posted here over the years about the dreaded 'whine'...'chirp' I expected to be another RSV owner standing in line with a complaint. Not so...:thumbsup2: ... Knock on wood. My new2me '99RSV #81 w/47,000 miles doesn't sound any different than any of the 1stGens I owned. An ever so slight 'turbo' whine sound at lower RPM's, and completely gone at mid to high engine speeds. I estimate the sound to be... since there is no tach... below 2000 rpm. I'm a happy camper. If I did get one that made the noise one of the things I'd contimplated was putting a 1stGen clutch basket and clutch in it to see if things didn't improve. Now I guess I don't have to...:sign woo hoo:

Hard to believe that you 07 needed the basket changed so soon, how many miles do you have on the bike? I would think Yamaha would have had this issue resolved on the newer models if they had complaints on the earlier second gens.

the problem is the gears, to case, to clutch basket gear, tolerances with straight cut transmission gears. not all gears are exactly the same and neither are all the cases. And as many people we see hear complain about the chirp, most Royal Stars either do not chirp or don't chirp enough to be a problem. A few who have clutch baskets at on end of the machine tolerances and an engine case at the other end, become very loud. Back in the old days of hand assembling engines companies would take time to match cases to gears, and/or shim to correct for these type of issues. But those days are long gone. I am assuming that Yamaha's fix, the I basket, is at the other end of the tolerances from the baskets that seem to have the loudest chirp, which is why it fixes it most of the time.

One of the really interesting things I discovered was that the sound was being picked up and amplified by the intercom. I usually run with the IC set to 11 and the "chirp" was very, VERY annoying. Setting the IC to 7 or 8 got rid of about 90% of the sound.

:big-grin-emoticon:

newventure

slip-on pipe experiences are very subjective...if you google pipes on this site you will see many different opinions....my experience ..just last week i decided..after listening to videos from this site and you tube... to try roadhouse brand pipes...they seemed to have the lowest rumble ...but they proved to be too loud at cruise ( loud being another debateable topic)....now i've got $360 pipes i may not be able to use.....gonna try the stainless steel scrub pad stuff-in-pipe theory to tone 'em down.....most people swear by the harley pipes...but i couldn't find any videos to listen to....

Edited by jlh3rd