IGNORED

New "I" basket & clutch upgrade (help)

I got one of those Skydoc clutch upgrade kits and thought since I was going into the clutch I would see if I could get the dealer to get me a new "I" basket to try to quieten the Jensen mobile chirp down some and do it all at once. I have a new I basket and convinced the dealer to let me install it (cause I do not want some Jack Ass messing around with my bike). Now I have to get the old clutch basket back to him pretty soon.

Poor Skydoc is having a rough time with the clutch springs he got for all of us and I know now he probably wishes he would have not got his self into all that... I know he is doing all he can.

I know I could probably use my original and the .60 spring but...I have already sent my .60 spring back to him for replacement when the replacements arrive.

I was wondering if I could do the Skydoc clutch upgrade (pull the 1/2 disc out and replace with the full disc...trash the extra parts etc.) except use my original spring...and install the I basket so I can get it back to the dealer. I do not have any slippage so far on my clutch, only 17000 miles on the bike. I just wanted to make sure I do not have any slipping in the future.

When Skydoc gets the new springs in...all I have to do is pop the new spring on to complete the upgrade.

Help me out here...the dealer called again today wanting the old clutch basket back...so I need to move pretty quickly on this. If I have to swap out the I basket and put all the original parts in...that is ok...just trying to optimize my work on this clutch.

Also planning some big trips here soon...so I do not want this clutch to go south on me while on the road. No risk taking here.

Please I need some advice here...:sign67:

I agree, if you had no problem before you should still be OK. I would get the parts back ASAP, don't want to make an enemy out of the local dealer. I'm guessing here but I reckon letting you do the swap wasn't SOP.

Like you said you can easily swap the clutch spring when you get the new one.

I thought I read here last week Skydoc had gotten the new ones, but I could be mistaken.

I agree, if you had no problem before you should still be OK. I would get the parts back ASAP, don't want to make an enemy out of the local dealer. I'm guessing here but I reckon letting you do the swap wasn't SOP.

Like you said you can easily swap the clutch spring when you get the new one.

I thought I read here last week Skydoc had gotten the new ones, but I could be mistaken.

Well there is other parts to swap out when you do the upgrade. I have those other parts and was hoping to do that part of the upgrade at least till the new springs come in.

You right about the dealer letting me swap out the basket. Not SOP.. We have a long standing relationship from years of buying at least 2 racing dirt bikes a year from him and no telling how much business I sent him and he knows how I am about my stuff.

He is a really good guy and always takes care of me...so I do not what to cause him any grief from Yamaha.

So unless I hear other wise...I guess I will omit the clutch upgrade and just swap the basket, simply cause I am not sure if the clutch upgrade will work with the stock spring.

Last I heard from the Skydoc...they are having a hard time getting the material for the new thicker heavier springs or something. It may be a while...but that's OK.

Personally, my preference is for the PCW upgrade. Nothing against Skydoc, but PCW has done us right for a long time, and there is no "learning curve" with them.

But it sounds like you already have purchased the alternative. Not sure what is included, but if it is the same as PCW's kit, I'd just go ahead and replace the clutch basket, put in the new single plate in the back of the stack (removing the half plate, wave washer, wire, etc.), then button it all back up with your stock spring. When you eventually get a decent replacement spring, it can be put in quickly. If it is done fairly soon, you won't even need to replace the gasket again. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

One more question...I do not have a Clutch holding tool and cannot find one anywhere in town or in the area...do you think I can hold the clutch basket with a strap wrench. I can order one on line or get the local cats to order it...may take a week to get it...

I'll preface this reply by saying I have NOT done this pesonally, nor have I closely examined the bike looking for a way to do this. However, I think it would be quite possible to hold the clutch basket with a strap wrench or some other tool, especially if you use an impact wrench to remove the basket nut.

Please note that there are a number of members here who HAVE personally replaced the clutch basket, so someone should be able to give you first hand advice. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I don't know how handy you are, but a few of our members here have built the tool to do this too.

SilvrT made his out of a few 1 x 4 and a house cat or something, you may be able to get the dimensions and throw one together yourself, save some money and time (waiting for the tool to arrive). I'll look around to see if I can find a thread that had some picutres or maybe one of them will chime in...

Other options are to take a pair of locking pliers (ie vice grips) and weld the appropriate metal arms to it (I think squeeze had a thread with pictures or dimensions of his - but I could be mistaken).

Anyhoo - I hope you get it figured out and that your I basket takes care of the whine!

:080402gudl_prv:

One more question...I do not have a Clutch holding tool and cannot find one anywhere in town or in the area...do you think I can hold the clutch basket with a strap wrench. I can order one on line or get the local cats to order it...may take a week to get it...

Please do yourself a big favor and do NOT try to use a strap wrench. I did...it slipped off and broke one of the spring "post" mounts off of the clutch boss. Cost me $60 bucks to replace that. And an extra week of downtime. Then I bought the wrench off ebay. About $30 including the shipping. Sure wish I'd done that to begin with.

I can send mine to you if you want to borrow it. You pay shipping both ways. Probably would total about $15, not a whole lot less than buying your own.

Joe

Thanks a lot for the offers...

I ordered one last night should be here Tuesday... I figured I would damage something trying to rig up something. I took them off those 250F racing bikes with a tool I made using the bolts in the clutch hub to hold the tool on...but I did break one once...I always kept plenty of racing parts around...and always had a back-up bike. No extra parts for the Venture laying around. Scared to risk it.

:thumbsup:

If you just need a basket to give to your dealer, I'll send you the G basket that I pulled from my 2000 when I put in the I basket.

You reimburse me for shipping and then send me back your old basket when you get it changed.

If your interested PM me. I could ship it USPS Monday. You'd likely have it Thursday.

If you feel like you should give the dealer a newer take off basket (though I don't see what difference it would make) maybe some one with a newer bike will make you the same deal.

On the clutch tool, if you use an impact it's easy to get the holding nut off. The tool is really needed to accurately torque the nut back down. Using the tool makes it a 3 minute job.

Find a tool.

Well there is other parts to swap out when you do the upgrade. I have those other parts and was hoping to do that part of the upgrade at least till the new springs come in.

You right about the dealer letting me swap out the basket. Not SOP.. We have a long standing relationship from years of buying at least 2 racing dirt bikes a year from him and no telling how much business I sent him and he knows how I am about my stuff.

He is a really good guy and always takes care of me...so I do not what to cause him any grief from Yamaha.

So unless I hear other wise...I guess I will omit the clutch upgrade and just swap the basket, simply cause I am not sure if the clutch upgrade will work with the stock spring.

Last I heard from the Skydoc...they are having a hard time getting the material for the new thicker heavier springs or something. It may be a while...but that's OK.

If your dealer is telling you that he needs the basket basket back to send to yamaha he is full of it because I am a dealer just replaced one and as for now yamaha does not want it back! On the clutch spring I doubled the spring and the customer was tickled with the way it performs used the kit from Skydoc. the customer is on this site just ask what he thinks he is B2dad. Please keep in mind not all techs at the dealerships are jerk offs there is alot of them out there. Im not one of them!!!

:smile5:

If your dealer is telling you that he needs the basket basket back to send to yamaha he is full of it because I am a dealer just replaced one and as for now yamaha does not want it back! On the clutch spring I doubled the spring and the customer was tickled with the way it performs used the kit from Skydoc. the customer is on this site just ask what he thinks he is B2dad. Please keep in mind not all techs at the dealerships are jerk offs there is alot of them out there. Im not one of them!!!

:smile5:

The dealer told me Yamaha wants to see the old basket...I do not think he would pull my tail on this one... I am gonna try to do what he ask...he always does what I ask of him.

He knows he can be straight with me. He has worked several warranty issues for me in the past...all handled the same way and some were maybe even out of the warranty period. I have bought about 14 units from him in the last 7 years... I don't think he would want to piss me off. In fact he sends me T or polo Yamaha shirts on my birthday.

If I had another spring so I could double up...I probably would. SkyDoc asked that we send the wrong parts back to him. I did as he asked.

I agree that all cats in the repair bays are not YOYO's but I have encountered more YOYO's than real techs that do quality work and can troubleshoot a problem. There are plenty of parts changers and some that cannot do that right.

Maybe I need to come buy your dealership on one of my trips just to check it out. May need a tire or something on the way. Thanks for the info. I will have to remember Paris TN...