Thanks to Freebird for an EXCELLENT pictoral and instructions regarding moving the fairing. I am about to do this myself so I can upgrade my Zumo 660 to the Zumo 665.

Again, I appreciate the detailed instructions and I only have a couple of minor questions since the original instructions were written by Freebird in 2006.

My first question is the 2 allen bolts size. I think they are 5mm, but I'm not for sure until I get some "ball end" allen wrenches. So are these bolts 5mm?

My second question or request is for any additional tips for splitting the fairing or things that I should look for while the fairing is off.

Thanks again for the great information.

Wally

Make sure the windshield mounting bracket is BOLTED on in the middle..Ive seen several that have plastic tiewraps holding the mount bracket on..Mine was one of them.You will notice it if it has the ties,very obvious.(Part is #7 on this exploded view that I am talking about)

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/YAM/2/MCY/2004/XVZ13TFMS_TFMSC/IMAGES/COWLING_1.Gif

Edited by Tom
added picture breakdown

I would suggest that if you have passing lights and still havn't installed the spacer to move the mount out and down a little that this would be a great time and a great addition to you bike.

An extra set of hands to hold the fairing in place while taking out the last bolts is highly recommended. :bluesbrother:

Go slow and cver the fender with a towel (a couple of towels)

Steve

aka Bubber

An extra set of hands to hold the fairing in place while taking out the last bolts is highly recommended.

If you make the last bolt the one at the bottom of the headlight, you can hold the fairing shell yourself with one hand while removing the bolt with the other.

When re-installing, make sure the tabs on the inside edge don't get mis-aligned. Look at the edge where the outer and inner fairing shells come together. There should not be any "crack" and the outer shell should fit nicely overlap ... look closely at this before you remove the fairing, you'll see what I mean. It should be the same when it goes back together. If not, one or more of the alignment tabs are mis-aligned.

An ounce of prevention while you have it open: you should put some diaelectric grease on the plugs for the intercom/CB/audio system. You'll see the bunch of them under a large zip tie just to the throttle side of the headlight.

Thanks to Freebird for an EXCELLENT pictoral and instructions regarding moving the fairing. I am about to do this myself so I can upgrade my Zumo 660 to the Zumo 665.

Again, I appreciate the detailed instructions and I only have a couple of minor questions since the original instructions were written by Freebird in 2006.

My first question is the 2 allen bolts size. I think they are 5mm, but I'm not for sure until I get some "ball end" allen wrenches. So are these bolts 5mm?

My second question or request is for any additional tips for splitting the fairing or things that I should look for while the fairing is off.

Thanks again for the great information.

Wally

This is the set of "ball" wrenches I use...

[ATTACH]44746[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]44747[/ATTACH]

I'm probably wrong, but best I remember the 8 fairing screws take a 3mm wrench. The 2 passing light mounting bolts take 5mm.