IGNORED

1st gen fork tube length?????????

Ok after ordering a set of hottie booties and haveing some probs. And multiple call to Russell( thanks by the way for taking my calls on your vacation) , it seems that My bike is haveing a bit of a prob. I have a 91 vr and it seems that the froks are compressing too much with my weight on the bike. I know Im a big boy and all but I would like to figure out what is going on.

So now for the request. I am 250 lbs so if any of you first gen riders out there can give me some measurements I would appreciate it. What I kneed is the length of the fork tube from the dust seal to the triple tree in both static weight and loaded passenger weight. First weight is with the bike on the side stand and no rider and second weight is with the rider on the bike and setting it up off the side stand. Any help would be appreciated as I really dont want to have to have these forks rebuilt . I would have to have someone else do it as Im not much of a mechannic. Also run my front class setup at medium both fromt and back so if you could set your class the same I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

David

I've heard of forks going soft on other bikes, and the forks on the Venture use the same principle as most others..with the exception of an added benefit - CLASS.

The most common failure point on most forks are the oil seals. Are your forks leaking? If not, the next most common, and most neglected is the fork oil. Oil degrades or leaks out over time. The third, is the main fork spring. A lot of people have upgraded to progressive springs, and the no longer need the CLASS. I have upgraded to the Progressive springs and they work great...maybe a bit firm, but work great for handling! I also used a different oil. Instead of a normal 10 weight fork oil, I used Valvoline Synthetic (motor)oil. I think it was 10w-20. Change that oil out once a year and you shouldn't have any problems.

When I first got my bike, the forks compressed too much as well. But I knew the fork seals were bad because I could see the forks were completely caked in oily dirt - a dead give-a-way for leaking forks. After opening them up, changing out the springs, bushings, seals, and oil, those forks hold really well - and I weight 210.

Oh, if your forks are leaking, look at changing your front brake pads too.

I've the same problem :crying: and I'm 170lbs :whistling:! First think that it's springs fork problem and I put short metalic tube in my forks with the springs.......not good :think: ! I change my oil, SAE10 for new SAE10......nothing :puzzled: ! Now I thinks that I'm gonna change my springs for new progressive and my oil for SAE15 ou motor oil 10W20 !

Bikers Frienships :happy34:! barry

Progressive springs are the manufacturer, called that because of the "progressive" stiffness of the spring as it compresses. Usually only run about 65-75 for a pair of them, but I would recommend a rebuild as you install them, especially if you don't know if they've been rebuilt before. You gotta remember, that's what is keeping your front wheel planted on the ground, in curves and stopping. Worth the money in the long run.

I'm 285 lbs and I literally made the bike squat when I got on with the stock springs. I changed over to the Progressives and the springs alone changed the stance of the bike parked. Raised the front quite a bit. Didn't squat anymore when I got on either.

It's a must do for these bikes. The stock springs are junk.

The Progressives can be installed by removing the upper tube caps and pulling the old springs and spacers out and dropping in the new ones. I do recommend a rebuild during the process though. Best to make sure all is well.

yes I understand that they may kneed to be rebuilt. If so it will be someone else besides me as I have neither the tools or the knowledge. I read the tech threads on the hhows and whats. It is way above my head. Only way i would be able to do this is if it was under the tutalidge of someone who has the tools and knowledge.

With that being said what im looking for is the fork length prloaded and loaded as the bike rides perfectly.it doesnt bottom out ,bounce ,or anything unusual. It just accordians the hootie booties when they are installed and that seems to be unique for my my buke. With that being saidthe first place I would like to look is at the fork compression and see if what I have is normal or if it kneeds to be rebuilt.

Sorry if seem like Im being a smarta## as its not meant that way, just looking to see if its bad before I fix it.

thanks in advance.

David

yes I understand that they may kneed to be rebuilt. If so it will be someone else besides me as I have neither the tools or the knowledge. I read the tech threads on the hhows and whats. It is way above my head. Only way i would be able to do this is if it was under the tutalidge of someone who has the tools and knowledge.

With that being said what im looking for is the fork length prloaded and loaded as the bike rides perfectly.it doesnt bottom out ,bounce ,or anything unusual. It just accordians the hootie booties when they are installed and that seems to be unique for my my buke. With that being saidthe first place I would like to look is at the fork compression and see if what I have is normal or if it kneeds to be rebuilt.

Sorry if seem like Im being a smarta## as its not meant that way, just looking to see if its bad before I fix it.

thanks in advance.

David

David , i have the Hootie Booties too and do the same thing , so your not unique :rotfl:

mine rides nice too and i run about 14 lbs in the front .

Thom

I did do a search last nite for the springs, everyone else in bed and I cant sleep alot of times so I just started reading and by the time I was done reading and with what I heard here I guess i am gonna sink some money into them.. If the site is the only place to get them they are 92 bucks and I am sure hoping that is for 2 or a set. But I am going to put them in the venture and also my V65 Sabre. My front forks need rebuilt on both bikes anyway so I will just do it all at once. The local guy here want about 100 bucks to rebuild a set of fork if I pull them off and put them back on.. Is that an ok price or ??? I have looked at the instructions and it doesnt seem real hard but more like perfection in cleanliness and burrs. I dont have real good eyesite so it might be better to have it done..

If the site is the only place to get them they are 92 bucks and I am sure hoping that is for 2 or a set. But I am going to put them in the venture and also my V65 Sabre...

The progressive springs come as a set of 2, so you will need 1 set per bike.

Other places to check for good prices on progressive springs would be denniskirk.com , ebay , oldbikebarn.com and other aftermarket motorcycle parts sites.

The springs do come in a set and also comes with any other required hardware. For instance, when upgrading to progressive springs, you are to discard the upper (smaller) spring pretension assembly and replace it with a 1-1/2" PVC tube and washers (supplied in the kit). It seems a bit cheesy at first, but after doing some research and riding with the progressive springs, it works well!

Just checked: Denniskirk, they have them for $83 + shipping. Old Bike Barn has them for $70.95 + shipping!

When looking, just type in "11-1112" (the progressive part number for our bikes) in the Keyword or Item# box. It'll bring you right to them.

Hey Karl.

The thing to ask the guy doing the forks for a $100 buck is does that include parts. I got about the same price quote around here but it was labor only. I ended up doing my own and I spent about $125.00 on the parts alone. I bought the Progressives, fork bushings, wave washers, seals and dust boots. And then fork oil was about $10.00 a bottle (needed 2) on top of that.

If nothing else make sure you use OEM fork seals. There are a lot of aftermarket seals that are not correct on fit and it just causes more problems.

Touch base with Rick at Buckeye Performance. He's where I got my stuff from.

http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/

Maybe Skydoc_17 (Earl) can help you out to.

Mike

folks I really do appreciate the info. 70 bucks sure sounds better than 92 on the springs but feel they would also be worth the 92 if i had to.

My understanding on the rebuilt forks is that 100 bucks includes parts and labor. I do remember asking her if the included oil etc and she said yes... But that wont include the springs of course.

Just got a new job and just waiting for about the second check and hopefully do it to it.

hey just wanted to thank everyone for the measurements I asked for. None came from the thread, but 2 peaple looked up my info in my user profile and called. I want ask any more questions.

Thanks to those who called you info was invaluble.

David

Just finished mine up and all i can say is WOW.. I did the seals at the same time and it is not even the same machine. I live in Michigan where the pot holes can kill ya if you fall into them :) . and I was bottoming out my old ones all the time. I had to run them with 60 to 80 lbs in the forks just to keep them off the bottom. now I have a firm ride with 4 lbs of air in them, and they ride like a caddy. best 70 bucks at the barn I ever put out.

see my link I have some photos of the job. it really was not that bad. when I used to race dirt track , many years ago, all the jap bikes had really weak,cheap springs, always did. we had to put heavier springs and shim in our race bikes to stiffen them up. see somethings still are better in the us. :). you want it built right, buy it here, built here. ( or just make it right yourself) its a great mod and you will not be disappointed .

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/album.php?albumid=647

:Venture: