IGNORED

non firing cyclinder

help, my 02 midnight is running at about 75%, or maybe on 3 cyclinders, seems to just bog out in od if you throttle it hard and the front left cyclinder's pipe is not getting hot while running, the other 3 three are. any suggestions? I would sure like some help maybe getting the carbs sync'd. thanks, bigdog1971:think:

The rear number (1) left rear coil is most likely not working.

It will also test fine when cold. (has more spark) until warm

As Goose would say it is most likely the

cap on the end is toast. I myself just

change out the whole coil, there cheap

at Pinwall.

let us know how this turns out for you.

Jeff

Note: If you look under the bike and see how Yamaha exposed all the

connections to the coils and see all the road grime on them you will

shake your head and wonder why they did this. maybe take them off

and clean them up, also put a little de-electric grease on the connections.

thanks guys for the suggestions, I'm going to change the plugs then check for the firing and the coil, the bike had been sitting for a while due to the previous owner's back problems (he said he had sta-bil) in the tank but it was running crappy when I rode it home, gave it the seafoam treatment with fresh gas and it has gotten better but still not right so I guess it and hope it's going to maybe something simple?, the stealer is wanting to do the full blown tuneup, plugs, take carbs down, clean, etc... flush out fuel system, tank, etc.... sync. carbs, the whole deal to the tune to 600.00!, i'm hoping to avoid that if it's something simple and somethng i could do myself. great forum, lots of knowledge and experience to draw from for a shade tree mechanic. i'll keep everyone updated, thanks, bigdog1971:thumbsup2:.

sorry for the extra post guys, i forgot i did pull the rear right plug and although the plug itself looked good, it did have a little dampness? on it, i didn't think to smell it to see if it was gas as a friend had asked me but it didn't appear to be oil, i'm guessing it was gas? thanks, bigdog1971

You don't say what part of Texas you are in - if it is DFW area, just bring it over and we'll get it all sorted out for you. It's really not too hard to diagnose. If you are not in this area, we can start a dialog on how to sort it out, but it is really easier for me to work on it with you than write about it!

Goose

hey goose, thanks for the offer, i'm down below corsicana about 40 miles in groesbeck, i would be very appreciative of your help and could make it up there at your convenience, just let me know what would work for you, late eveinings or weekends are best for me if you could work that out. thanks, bigdog1971

Welcome BigDog!

:BLUE:

I went through Corsicana Tuesday night. If you're available, come to McKinney on May 15 for Gigawhiskey's Maintenance Day. We'll be passing through Corsicana on the way up about 0800.

sorry for the extra post guys, i forgot i did pull the rear right plug and although the plug itself looked good, it did have a little dampness? on it, i didn't think to smell it to see if it was gas as a friend had asked me but it didn't appear to be oil, i'm guessing it was gas? thanks, bigdog1971

Hmm now why does that sound familiar?? Sound like fuel making it there but no ignition..

Chat it up with Goose, he'll help point you in the right direction.. ;)

Another thing to check is to make sure you are getting adequate fuel flow into that carburator. I had the same thing happen where I didn't have two cylinders firing after sitting for the winter & found even after the seafoam treatment and changing the plugs that the float was stuck so there was no fuel. I opened up the drains & tapped on the bowls to free it up & cycled the fuel pump a few times & was good to go.

By the way, thanks to all the others on here for the great information to get me running again. I read through many threads to get my bike finally running.

I had thought you already had changed the plugs, now my guess

is possibly #1 & 3 plugs are fouled. as soon as you change them out you will

know right away,

good luck and sounds like your getting the perfect help anyways

in a few days!

and welcome!

I never had any good luck using stable. it always clogged things up for me.

now it is just sea-foam.

Jeff

thanks jeff, i'm going to try to drain the carb. bowls, put the new plugs in and more seafoam hopefully tomorrow evening or over the weekend, my skills are limited but these are things i can be doing and hopefully she'll be running like i know she can, i know she won't run with my 2000 LT but she'll should run with most of 'em out there. R.T.:Venture:

just an update guys, i've got a motion pro mercury sycn. tool and found some step by step photos on sycn. the carbs and it looks really pretty easy so i'm going to try that after i change the plugs, the photos use the same tool so as long as mine is working hopefully it'll work out, keeping my fingers crossed that this will all work. :farmer:

hey goose, thanks for the offer, i'm down below corsicana about 40 miles in groesbeck, i would be very appreciative of your help and could make it up there at your convenience, just let me know what would work for you, late eveinings or weekends are best for me if you could work that out. thanks, bigdog1971

Well, I'm available just about any time, but I'd prefer the weekend. I'd rather work on the bike during the day with natural light than at night. I'll be around this weekend if you want to ride up - I'm just on the west side of DFW, close to the intersection of highway 360 and 121. Give me a call and I'll let you know exactly where.

Goose

sounds great, I'll should be able to make that, possible to meet ya'll in corsicana or ? thanks, bigdog1971:thumbsup:

Yeah, we'll meet you there. I'll PM you with a more precise meetup time as we get closer to that weekend.

hey goose, got your contact info., a friend and i worked on the bike this evening and replaced the plugs (the old ones were all just finger tight, thought that might be part of the problem) and took the old fuel filter off and blow it out and put it back on (didn't have a new one availble). it runs better but still not there, pulls pretty good thru the lower gears as long as you keep the rpms up with some popping and backfiring thru the pipes. can cruise along pretty good 75-85 but when pull throttle back hard won 't do much. i have a motion pro mercury sync. instrument that i used to try and sync. the carbs but the mercury reading were all over the place with 2, 3, and 4 being real high and 1 being very low but the mercury int he tubes was very spaced out? and not solid bars of mercury so i don't know if the tool was functioning on not but the carbs. appear to be off pretty good i guess. where do i go from here or can you look at it tommorrow if i can ride it up there? thanks, r.t., also ponch just let me know on the time and place i could meet ya'll on the 15th, thanks.:Cool_cool36:

hey goose, sorry for the extra post but all 4 pipes seems to be getting hot now when running, the front right and left rear don't fel to be getting quite as hot as the other two but they are hot enough where you can't hardly touch them, hope that helps? bigdog:think:

well guys and gals, met with goose today and after a couple of hours it looks like goose has it narrowed down to carb. problems and we're (er., he) is going to get that corrected as soon as we can get together again. i must say it was a a very enlightening experience to speak with and watch goose at work, yea, you can claim not be a mechanic but you damned sure fooled me!:scratchchin:, i had some pretty good information to soak in today and thanks for those brake pads too, i was too caught up in trying to get the bike running right to worry about those:confused07:, i'll be riding to austin saturday morning and will be there most of the day so just keep in touch when your schedule will allow those carb jobs, thanks a bunch goose, owe you big time. bigdog:dancefool:

You don't say what part of Texas you are in - if it is DFW area, just bring it over and we'll get it all sorted out for you. It's really not too hard to diagnose. If you are not in this area, we can start a dialog on how to sort it out, but it is really easier for me to work on it with you than write about it!

Goose

V7Goose I am only about 1000 miles north of you all, wondering if you could drop by on your way over to his house and help fix mine too....lol